Discus tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
GD technology strikes again. Im too dumb to figure yech out myself. Let alone help someone else, sir. I cant even upload a pic to here. Although im on my laptop as we speak as well trying to figure it out through photobucket. Ill do the info on here so all can have. Just a disclaimer before i do... Lol. This is advice i got from a pro aquaponic ag teacher from a nearby university. It works good for me, but thats me. So please dont get upset if results vary. Although 2 tanks now, and its working great in both

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ok that being said. I take flourish, flourish excel, and pps pro dry ferts.... KN03 etc.... Pour 2/3 the liquid ferts out onto a rimmed plate. Add your dry ferts... Mix. Take plain standard uncolored potting clay, the hard kind, soften in remaining 1/3 liquid ferts. This will make it workable, soft, and pourous. Sprinkle the plate with miracle gro ORGANIC potting soil. Once clay is piyrous and workable break it up into tiny chunks on the plate. Roll it all around until you form ut back into a giant ball of plant goodiness. keep adding clay til its workable, but not totally wet. Take said ball (baseball size or so fir my tank size) break off lil chunks roll them into balls and start pushing them as far into the soil as you can in grid fashion across your tank. I do this once every 30-60 days. The clay and miracle gro deposits help my substrate go from just substrate to a, i say loosely, semi dirted system. Cause you can see it mixed in there now with the sand.

Best part is you can use whatever ferts fit your bill. The names may change, but the system of it stays tbe same. I.E. You dont have to use flourish or excel. You can use whatever ferts fit your bill.

Thank you to beeritself for letting me explain that in his thread. Wasnt trying to hijack. Thank you

Well I'll be... After my mind gets through being blown, I may have to try that...

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You're more than welcome to hijack. Your tank is beautiful. My discus have stress bars that I am trying like hell to get rid of. What do you keep your ph and temp at?

Yeah, poppa just blew this thread up. I'm hoping he's going to be selling those baseballs on the cheap...

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

No those are amazon swords. 7 diff types in there.

Update from tonight after a 50% water change. I've added a few plants since my last post and I have a few more coming in this weekend. I will be adding an Aponogeton Crispus, another Java Fern, and some Hygro Pinnatifida. So far, the co2 is working great and I have just started dosing with Flourish Excel (as of tonight).

image-3953513860.jpg

Lookin great, man. Coming along rather nicely. Try throwin some tall swords in the mix. Remember, in the wild they hide up in the vegitation, nd roots alot too. They discus look good. Keep it up.

Lookin great, man. Coming along rather nicely. Try throwin some tall swords in the mix. Remember, in the wild they hide up in the vegitation, nd roots alot too. They discus look good. Keep it up. Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I appreciate it. I am having a hard time finding good tall plants locally. I am hoping withy the flourish and the co2, mine will shoot up sooner rather than later.

Also, this weekend I will have a wife and kid free house, so I am hoping I can make some of those ferts you described.

Jungle val is a good tall grower. My discus love it. If you need any let me know, Im about to do a thin out of it. Remember my disclaimer on that DIY fert. Start small and observe. Everyones tank is different. But when done right it works wonders. Also... im jealous, I want the house to myself for the weekend.

Back
Top Bottom