Diy sump ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Beau_123

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Is there any way that I could make a sump out of two 10g anyone if I can do it.

You COULD.
But you'd need a siphon overflow from the first to the second...(unless you want to drill them) ... and that just introduces another point where a failure (siphon break) would lead to flooding problems. (because in the event of a siphon break between the two, the single first tank would have to be able to accommodate ALL the overflow from the Display.)

IMO, it's just added complexity ... you'd be better off watching craigslist for a used 20+ gallon

It is completely possible, like mentioned you could do the siphon but, drilling the two tanks together and connecting them with a bulk head or 2 is the best option... won't ever overflow and flood. It is super easy to do and I personally recommend it. (I have drilled before)

They are both glass how would I do it without it cracking.

The only way it would crack is if you tightened the bulkheads way too much or you drilled the 2 holes too close together. Bulk reef supply has an amazing video on drilling glass and the cheapest/best wholesaw for the job... look them up on YouTube. Do one hole on one side of the tank the other whole on the other side

Yes it will... I have a 29 Gallon sump for my 75 Gallon. I want a bigger one for it however but cannot fit it. The best advice I can give you is the bigger the better: )

They are both glass how would I do it without it cracking.

Diamond glass bit i got one on ebay like 30$ i drilled the same thing a 10g literally took 20 seconds but for 30$ you could probably just buy a bigger sump glass shop may drill for you as well

Bulkreefsupply.com has the bit for 15 bucks, even cheaper but any diamond coated wholesaw bit is what you are looking for!

Do you need to drill the sump? Is you return pump external? If its not I wouldnt drill it. 10 gals are kinda hard to drill sometimes bc the glass is so thin that the vibrations actually shatter the glass. To see if the 10g sump is big enough decide what u want in it. And we will figure it out

Do you need to drill the sump? Is you return pump external? If its not I wouldnt drill it. 10 gals are kinda hard to drill sometimes bc the glass is so thin that the vibrations actually shatter the glass. To see if the 10g sump is big enough decide what u want in it. And we will figure it out

He wants 2 10 gallons, and siphon is not a good way to do it

Do you need to drill the sump? Is you return pump external? If its not I wouldnt drill it. 10 gals are kinda hard to drill sometimes bc the glass is so thin that the vibrations actually shatter the glass. To see if the 10g sump is big enough decide what u want in it. And we will figure it out. Protein skimmrt, heater, carbon reactor etc.

Back
Top Bottom