Does tank size really matter for Bettas ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thats_so_fab

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So does it ? I've seen pet shops with small tanks for bettas and they seem to get along just fine. I mean if you have a fairly big one, i don't have that much space and afterall it's only one fish. Mines new but i gurantee im dedicated to looking after it properly. But sersiously, what are your thoughts on the matter? ??

ihave mine in a 2 gallon acrilic tank with a filter. yes they can live in the little tiny bowls and stuff because they also breath air but it really isnt good for them. i personally wouldnt go any smaller than 2 gallons. 10 would be a really good size for one then u can add an adf or some different snails and shrimps. mine is a very happy and healthy fish and he is nearly 2 years old now. he is also HUGE lol. he eats about 8 pellets a day. i named him pig for that very reason.

I don't think any fish should be kept in something smaller than 5 gallons. But that is just my opinion. :D

*edit* My boyfriend keeps his in a 1 gallon tank with a plant and his betta seems to do just fine.

I personally don't think they should be kept in anything smaller than a 5 gal, preferably a 10 gal. Those Betta cups and bowls just aren't healthy for them. It doesn't give them the space to swim.

I keep my betta in a 2-1/2 gal at work. It works because the tank is lightly planted and I change 50% of the water TWICE a week.

Bettas also need filtration and a heater - it's almost impossible to put either in anything smaller than a 2-1/2, and still have room for the fish.

I have a small air-driven sponge filter, and a cute 7W heater that I don't use. The room temp never falls below 78oF - even at night, because of all the heat-producing equipment in the room.

i dont heat my bettas tank but it is touching my 10 gallon tank so the heat gets transferred over a little. enough to keep him happy. mine is the smallest eclips tank and had a biowheel filter combined in the hood so it is super filtration for a betta becasue they hardly produce any waste i want to transfer mine to a 10 gallon tank i have but i need to find the room for him.

My bettas are very happy and healthy in 5 gallon heated, filtered, planted tanks. You could have a 2 1/2 gallon tank (I have one of those for my QT tank) but like QTOFFER says, you have to do more water changes and add a small heater if necessary.

I just want to clarify that my betta tank at work is located in a windowless, draftless room filled with computers and refrigerated equipment that generate alot of heat. The temp is a warm and stable 76 - 78oF without the heater.

If this tank was at home, where the temp falls to the mid 60's at night, I would definitely use the dinky 7W heater. It's another one of those YMMV situations. :wink:

I used to have a one gallon, no heater needed, no filter. Without a filter you need to frequently do water changes and syphon gravel with a turkey baster. Most bettas who come from small store cups don't have the muscle to handle the current from a filter. You need to make the filter weak or put it in a big enough tank that the fish can get some rest. If you are doing the maintence then they can live in a one gallon. But imagine getting a dog and keeping it in a kennel. It can stay alive, but that doesn't mean much. Spending life in a small box is not a good way to live. Same with bettas. I suggest 2.5 gallons or more with a cave to hide in or rock to sit on.

I personally prefer a 5gallon tank as a minimum for any fish, including bettas. I certainly wouldn't scold anyone who kept a betta in a 2.5gal, as long as they properly cared for it and maintained the tank with good clean water.

Anything smaller though, just doesn't have enough swimming space for a fish. Think of it like a prison cell..yo uhave just enough room to pace around, and sleep.

Even most prisoners are given a gymnasium or outdoor basketball court to hang out on a couple hours a day.

I had always kept my Bettas in cups or small bowls without too much trouble, just as long as I kept up with water changes. Then I started using female Bettas in my community tanks. The increase in activity, color, and overall health is amazing and well worth it. 5 gallon minimum with a few easy plants to help with water quality.

Back
Top Bottom