Doug's 105 rimless build and diary

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Are you asking me to review it, or are you suggesting for me to come up with a reason I haven't considered it?

Are you asking me to review it, or are you suggesting for me to come up with a reason I haven't considered it?

No, no review. Just saw it while I was browsing and it seemed reasonably priced for up to 210 gals so I thought I'd share it. I could be wrong though. You have anything else in mind for your skimmer or do you still have your 2?

Looks like I just read everything wrong. That's your friends skimmer and your selling Friday. Gotcha!

They make some very nice ones rated at 500 gallon or larger. They get expensive though. My engineering hat makes me think the ultimate skimmer has yet to be built.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Does that mean you are going to build the ultimate skimmer greg?

I took a course a million years ago in what was called fluidics. You can design computers using just air pressure, etc. If the maximum skimmer ingests the maximum air/flow combination for the tiniest footprint is the goal, then that's not too hard to imagine.

I would use up to 4 foaming pumps and I would pressurize their air intakes, supercharging them to a degree. This maximizes airflow in the smallest package.

The reaction chamber would be baffled to fold the water back on itself multiple times before exiting the skimmer. Here's where the fluidics comes in handy. Maximizing the total surface area contact time of the bubbles to the water. Maybe creating a vortex action but with very foamy water. Each foaming pump would aerate each baffle chamber.

The rise tube should be easily removed and adjustable in height to control the skim without throttling the supply pump back. Maximum flow is attained. Maybe automate the regular cleaning of the rise tube but not using a wiper system. Something better. Or just make it darn convenient to clean it no matter the work angle.

The cup goes to a 1 gallon container with a simple overflow alert. Making the system as easy to clean as possible.

The secret I think is the combination of very high airflow with massive bubble creation in concert with the maximum flow for the longest contact time. In the smallest most convenient package.

The Red Sea skimmer I have has some creative ideas but it was constructed poorly. A much more efficient design is certainly possible. And maybe it doesn't have to look like a coffee percolator.

I love to noodle stuff like this so maybe a thread on the ultimate skimmer? It might even be possible to build a 3D cad file and print the whole thing out in PVC on a prototype printer.

Last edited:
I took a course a million years ago in what was called fluidics. You can design computers using just air pressure, etc. If the maximum skimmer ingests the maximum air/flow combination for the tiniest footprint is the goal, then that's not too hard to imagine.

I would use up to 4 foaming pumps and I would pressurize their air intakes, supercharging them to a degree. This maximizes airflow in the smallest package.

The reaction chamber would be baffled to fold the water back on itself multiple times before exiting the skimmer. Here's where the fluidics comes in handy. Maximizing the total surface area contact time of the bubbles to the water. Maybe creating a vortex action but with very foamy water. Each foaming pump would aerate each baffle chamber.

The rise tube should be easily removed and adjustable in height to control the skim without throttling the supply pump back. Maximum flow is attained. Maybe automate the regular cleaning of the rise tube but not using a wiper system. Something better. Or just make it darn convenient to clean it no matter the work angle.

The cup goes to a 1 gallon container with a simple overflow alert. Making the system as easy to clean as possible.

The secret I think is the combination of very high airflow with massive bubble creation in concert with the maximum flow for the longest contact time. In the smallest most convenient package.

The Red Sea skimmer I have has some creative ideas but it was constructed poorly. A much more efficient design is certainly possible. And maybe it doesn't have to look like a coffee percolator.

I love to noodle stuff like this so maybe a thread on the ultimate skimmer? It might even be possible to build a 3D cad file and print the whole thing out in PVC on a prototype printer.

That sound very good and thought out. Pull it off and you could have some money coming your way!

You can design computers using just air pressure, etc.

LOL...Steampunk computers (y)

I totally agree with you. After much research I came to the conclusion that most commercial skimmers trade efficiency for size/convenience considerations. Most don't provide the contact time really needed.
I made my own, it's about 6' tall and has a reaction chamber that is about 40" tall. It is air powered but I designed it so I can convert it to pump powered if desired.
Internally I used two Dr. Pepper 1 liter bottles (perfect cone shape ;))

92584-albums13974-picture68726.jpg

the body is 4" & 3" ABS
the churning inside the double bottles helps a lot, when I turn off the air it takes about 90 seconds for all the bubbles to rise, so the contact time is good.(y)

I also incorporated a DIY media reactor into the body of it running bio-pellets, that way the effluent from the bio-pellets goes directly into the skimmer mix so the bacterial slough doesn't go into the display.

Next time I'm servicing it and have it broken down I will take pics detailing it.

from what I can tell based on the skimmate produced it does as good of a job as $600-$700 dollar ones I've seen running at various stores and cost me about $100, and that includes a pump for the reactor. If including the feed pump, I have about $150 into it.

It certainly isn't the best looking or most sexy skimmer, but darn if it doesn't do a good job.;)

LOL...Steampunk computers (y)

I totally agree with you. After much research I came to the conclusion that most commercial skimmers trade efficiency for size/convenience considerations. Most don't provide the contact time really needed.
I made my own, it's about 6' tall and has a reaction chamber that is about 40" tall. It is air powered but I designed it so I can convert it to pump powered if desired.
Internally I used two Dr. Pepper 1 liter bottles (perfect cone shape ;))

92584-albums13974-picture68726.jpg

the body is 4" & 3" ABS
the churning inside the double bottles helps a lot, when I turn off the air it takes about 90 seconds for all the bubbles to rise, so the contact time is good.(y)

I also incorporated a DIY media reactor into the body of it running bio-pellets, that way the effluent from the bio-pellets goes directly into the skimmer mix so the bacterial slough doesn't go into the display.

Next time I'm servicing it and have it broken down I will take pics detailing it.

from what I can tell based on the skimmate produced it does as good of a job as $600-$700 dollar ones I've seen running at various stores and cost me about $100, and that includes a pump for the reactor. If including the feed pump, I have about $150 into it.

It certainly isn't the best looking or most sexy skimmer, but darn if it doesn't do a good job.;)

Would love to see it in action! It's a video a possibility?

I just saw the 160- not as big as I would have expected. The collection cup is small. the skimmers I am selling are much bigger than this. If it wasn't for the pump efficiency, I would stay with the skimmers I have. I hope the 220 is considerably larger.
-As a matter of fact, I just looked up the 220, and besides the pump, it's identical to the 160. I'm gonna pass. I just assumed a skimmer pulling over 2000lph would be pretty large. Hmm.
The info on the website I was looking at was incorrect. The correct stats for all three skimmers are:
Quantum 120

• Item #: NYOS1001
  • MSRP: $399.99
  • Pump: Quantum 1.0
  • Air max: 500 l/h
  • Power: 8W
  • Length: 5.9"
  • Width: 8.25"
  • Height: 18.3"
  • Tank size: 25-130 gal
SxbbQ9sjkZHm0zq4jkNkE_qw6FHJULBdnnAgOZHFSj6jd6DTih_KBbnAFmkcJH0UBqIrSohJaA3IsYK0uGdukApyHXasFKU0Mlvl-MTjpsA0kf2SPXuL8t-lH6t-BYuewBaClxcK00Cx4lqyAviYLMp1437trpDSfcsmwtE=s0-d-e1-ft

Quantum 160

• Item #: NYOS1003
  • MSRP: $499.99
  • Pump: Quantum 3.0
  • Air max: 1,500 l/h
  • Power: 18W
  • Length: 7.28"
  • Width: 9.8"
  • Height: 20.8"
  • Tank size: 70-265 gal
i6RNNqp3fwvBbn2GFJaByUlYuLKmPeItHgLFmHWlwtGBordN4fb7rBTWRUv2pwMB0dbgTHZZRWC5L6-cz7FKKJAbLXQNrrArt4U-lvHvEBaht1Y2VWlhBFHrwE3hrqNwyPacNq2Nvs01IIAoWScHd5vDSbIFBcP-3N8rhMk=s0-d-e1-ft

Quantum 220

• Item #: NYOS1005
  • MSRP: $799.99
  • Pump: Quantum 5.0
  • Air max: 2,200 l/h
  • Power: 22W
  • Length: 9.25"
  • Width: 12.2"
  • Height: 23.8"
  • Tank size: 135-530 gal

I'm undecided.

Would love to see it in action! It's a video a possibility?

no video, here are a few pics, but I don't want to hijack Doug's thread.

bottom half;
92584-albums13974-picture68727.jpg

top half;

92584-albums13974-picture68728.jpg

(ignore the rough looking canopy, threw that together yesterday and gonna cover it with veneer)

collection cup with carbon filter;

92584-albums13974-picture68729.jpg

ultimately whenever this tank finds it's final home, I want to move my 80 gallon in here and make a bona-fide "fish room", I'm going to make a cabinet to hide that ugly beast.

it's ugly as sin, but certainly works.(y)

I'm undecided.

tellin' ya man, you have the room to make a killer DIY skimmer. :cool:

I envision dual 7' tall 6" diameter reaction chambers, counter current flow to prolong contact time, with incorporated media reactors channeling the effluent into the skimmer and finally through a chemical filtration setup then on to the biological section......

that is essentially how mine is configured now.

Make a skimmer? Ugh....I have enough stuff to do around here as it is. I don't mind DIYing, but I honestly don't want something that looks like "the ugly beast" in my fish room...lol.

Make a skimmer? Ugh....I have enough stuff to do around here as it is. I don't mind DIYing, but I honestly don't want something that looks like "the ugly beast" in my fish room...lol.

yeah but you do have the benefit of a room dedicated solely to all the filtration stuff, so the ugly beast would be out of sight. ;)

Na...anyone who admires a tank goes behind as much as looks through the front pane. The only folks who don't care what's in that room are folks that don't know the difference between a tang and an anemone.

Hey Doug, I know that post was from a little while back, but I love the Anthias! He's looking great! :)

Thanks! He's doing well too. I really need him to put on a little size so I can stop worrying about him being Engineer Goby food (yes, he's been eyeballing the Anthias from time to time....probably going back and forth with "I think that will fit in my mouth").

Thanks! He's doing well too. I really need him to put on a little size so I can stop worrying about him being Engineer Goby food (yes, he's been eyeballing the Anthias from time to time....probably going back and forth with "I think that will fit in my mouth").

Uh oh, that would not be cool. I'm extremely jealous of that fish.

I am glad to hear that he is doing well!

I never knew Engineers could eat smaller fish, but it certainly makes sense considering the size they can reach! I always see them so tiny in the pet shop, lol.

Back
Top Bottom