Doug's 105 rimless build and diary

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"sounds like eye flukes....while we do our best to treat all our fish with prazipro before we offer them for sale, some slip through the cracks.... take them out and treat them with prazipro".

Well I'm still having that beer with you in six minutes anyways :)

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Doug, sorry for your losses. I feel really bad for your friend too. I don't think suck is strong enough of a word.

"sounds like eye flukes....while we do our best to treat all our fish with prazipro before we offer them for sale, some slip through the cracks.... take them out and treat them with prazipro".

How can they "slip through the cracks"? Unless the treatment tank and treated tank and next to each other and they are jumping ship. I call BS.

How can they "slip through the cracks"? Unless the treatment tank and treated tank and next to each other and they are jumping ship. I call BS.

well I wonder if they actually use a treatment regime or just a 15 second dip prior to shipping.

We're all on your side here ,.. You'd think ( here I go again ) that BEFORE a store could offer a fish etc for sale it would have to go thru a quarantine system there and treated with whatever antibiotics or medicated accordingly BUT they are totally in the business to move things in and out as fast as they can,.leaving the quarantine and medicating to the consumer ,... I'd bet they would say something like " that's how we can pass such a low price to the consumer, if we had to quarantine everything we sell the prices would be much higher "
I wonder if a supplier could actually be held responsible for " their" fish wiping out someone's else's tank. I seriously doubt it but maybe someday somebody with some money will be pissed off enough to pursue it .
Glad we had that drink together last nite .

We're all on your side here ,.. You'd think ( here I go again ) that BEFORE a store could offer a fish etc for sale it would have to go thru a quarantine system there and treated with whatever antibiotics or medicated accordingly BUT they are totally in the business to move things in and out as fast as they can,.leaving the quarantine and medicating to the consumer ,... I'd bet they would say something like " that's how we can pass such a low price to the consumer, if we had to quarantine everything we sell the prices would be much higher "
I wonder if a supplier could actually be held responsible for " their" fish wiping out someone's else's tank. I seriously doubt it but maybe someday somebody with some money will be pissed off enough to pursue it .
Glad we had that drink together last nite .

Every online seller pretty plainly says they are not liable for any losses except what they sell according to their guarantee.
So if something like this happens, at best they will credit for the purchase.

Sadly most brick & mortar fish stores today won't even credit you for your purchase.
I agree about it being a money making venture and this industry only makes $$$ on volume.
That is why I suspect they either maintain a low prophylactic dose in the holding tanks or it's just a dip.
but either way, it obviously didn't work....:ermm:

It is really hard if you don't have a good (trusted) LFS.
I have done business with my #1 for over 30 years(back to owners dad).
I really like seeing what I get,looking Saturday morning if they show up Friday night.
Many say give them a week,I wish I could take them without opening the bag(less stress).
My guys don't "qt" everything but they won't sell if not healthy appearing.
I haven't seen better then a 24hr(with water sample) guarantee on marine fish in decades!
Some offer nothing.
Even my # 2 LFS has said out loud "there is copper in that tank Tom!".
I can't imagine if I didn't get to see or choose my fish.
WYSIWYG is $$$$?

Well. wholesale suppliers can't just take a picture of every single yellow tang they have (hundreds at a time), but they do have some wysiwyg for real exotic stuff at times. The bottom line is money- if you are willing to pay retail you should have much more recourse than otherwise.

Yep. And if you owned a LFS, you wouldn't have a fish guarantee either.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
I really don't think I would!
Many get info in so many places they walk into X store and answer correctly(from previous failures) and fool the good stores even into selling them fish they have no place keeping or are ready for.
It is a tough gig no doubt.
I think having a good relationship with your store if possible is very important along with a little knowledge.
Also unfortunately knowing that every fish we buy will die.
And hoping we don't cause or accelerate it!

I didn't see any redness on any fish, nor inflammation. Mouths gaping, breathing heavily, slimy heads (almost resembling the skin just peeling off and blowing away), cloudy eyes, and apparent blindness towards the very end. Some of the fish turned a pale gray/almost white towards the end as well. One thing is for certain...it wasn't a peaceful death.

Maybe they had flukes

Back
Top Bottom