Drip acclimation?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aqua315

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi everyone! I'm planning to get some GBR's soon for my 28g. I've heard they can be sensitive and that the drip acclimation method is recommended. What exactly is this? Is there a good online guide to doing this? Thanks!

Even though many people don't consider it necessary...I drip acclimate everything that goes into my tank :). Here's how I do it-

- Get a piece of airline tubing, a large clean pitcher and a bucket
- Place the fish and the water from the bag into the pitcher
- Drop in a single drip of Prime to neutralize any ammonia that has built up in the bag
- Put the pitcher in the bucket to catch any overflow
- Start a syphon from your main tank with the airline tubing, tie a knot or two in the tubing so it slows the water flow and creates a slow drip...maybe one drip per second
- Let the tank water drip into the pitcher slowly
- Check back in a while, when the pitcher is full, pour out half of the water and let it refill a second time (you can do this many times depending on how long and slowly you want to acclimate)
- Once you feel he's acclimated thoroughly...net the fish (pouring the water from the pitcher through a net works well) and place the fish in the tank...don't let the store water get into you tank
- Then you enjoy your fish :)

Last edited:
Thanks! I had read a few things about letting water drip into a bucket but not about using the airline tubing! I was thinking, what, am I supposed to sit there for an hour with an eye dropper dropping in 1 drop per second?!?! LOL

No problem :). People make a big deal out of it, but honestly I find it easier and less work than bag acclimating.

Back
Top Bottom