Dwarf Gourami

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

I have i male flame and 2 female dwarf gouramis. What sort of "breeding" activity could i expect from these guys? since i got the females the male has brightened up, but other than that, He pretty much ignores the girls. I read that you are supposed to "lower the water level to 8 inches" well i have no desire to MAKE them breed, i just thought it would be cool if they did. Some days my Females look really fat like they might be holding eggs, like right now they both look rather robust.

I heard that the Male makes a bubble nest, but i have a lot of surface agitation from my 2 bubble curtains and my HOB filter. Is this what's preventing them from breeding? I can't really have floating plants because they just get pushed all over the place.

anybody got any suggestions? I just want to know as much as possible.

gouramis cannot build a bubblenest without the floating plants, take some of your anarchis or moneywort and just let it float for a few days, also adding some peat and raising the temp to about 80F will usually trigger them no matter the water level...mine didnt care

well i do have some floating anarchis, and i only have two stems of what i was told was moneywort, but in 2 months it doesn't look like its grown or anything, except maybe a little taller. What does peat do? Does it lower the pH??? And my temp is usually always at about 78. Thanks

the peat will lower the ph and raising the temp just a few degrees no matter how warm it is will trigger them...so will a water change
i never had any luck raising the fry...they are very delicate but it was fun to watch them spawn and the male is so funny guarding his nest
what kind of lights do you have...i think moneywart needs good lighting at least 2wpg

lets not discuss the lighting situation.. LOL. I only buy lowlight plants now, but since, whatever it is (if it is moneywort) since it is rotting or anything, im not worried about it.
Anyway, i pulled up some more anarchis to let it float and we will see what happens, but I don't think they will spawn because of my angels... they are always nosing into everything. Thanks for the info :mrgreen:

Keep updating please! I have a male and a female by themselves in my tank so i was planning at trying a hand at spawning them before i buy more fish and turn it into a community. I think that the male has tried to build bubblenest before but the fiter recks it.

oh well, the gouramis could care less about the floating plants so i took the sponge out from in front of my filter, but i think it was because the angels kept picking in the plants.

Back
Top Bottom