Dying anemone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

woots1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Pretty sure my anemone is dying ? It won't attach to anything and it is all puffed up. Just wanted some other opinions on it. Here is a picture of it ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1455325541.267608.jpg

Anemones do some weird things sometimes. When I had mine it deflated and looked terrible when it expelled waste then when it was done it went back to normal. A couple questions I know will come up so I'll just ask now

What type of anemone is this?
What are your full tank parameters?
Is it new to the tank?
How big is the tank?
How old is your tank?
What lighting do you have?
Do you feed it?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It's a rock flower anemone.
It had been in the tank for about two and half weeks.
The tank is a 30 gallon.
The tank has been set up in this current location for about a year and half (use to be in another location for a lot longer).
I'm using some orbit marine LEDs for lights.
I haven't fed it. It has been moving all over the place since I got it.
I will have to get the tank parameters tomorrow but last time I checked them, they were fine though they could have changed.

Well, it is moving because it isn't happy. Parameters, flow, and lighting are the only 3 things that cause anemone to move and not find a happy place. I'd look at those LEDs to start, just not enough light coming out of them I'd wager.

I was worried about that but I heard the rock anemones didn't need as much light as some of the other types. How much light would be recommended for them?

I think your right about them not needing much light. But the orbit marine LEDs are pretty underpowered even as far as that goes. I think they do offer higher powered lights now though.

RFA are pretty well liked because they are easy to care for and that they are one anemone you can almost literally place where you want it and it will stay there. If any anemone moves around or detaches its trying to find a suitable place to take hold and it's a sure sign it's not getting what it wants.

I made the mistake of trying to move my pink tip anemone..peeled it off the rock it was on from the pet store. Tried to place it where I wanted it and man that thing did some amazing things to get back to its rock. Ultimately it didn't survive because of a powerhead.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

So these are my parameters from testing this morning:
Ph 8.0
Ammonia 0-.25
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0

I did that yesterday. It seems to be in one spot now. I don't know if it is just wedged there or actually has its foot down. Don't want to stress it out trying to find out.

Does it look normal and it isn't moving? Sounds like it planted its foot, though it can still move until it is happy. Keep an eye on it for any signs of bleaching as the lighting is still a concern in terms of not being enough for even a 'lower light' anemone.

Back
Top Bottom