Eber's 10gal build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Squidy07

Aquarium Advice Activist
ok so I have a 10gal tank that's not in use. I have koralia 240. and that's about it as far as equipment. I need a heater and lights.

anyways idk what to use this tank for can u guys please give me ideas ????? can i have fish in this small tank? or inverts?

the dimensions are 20x10x12(LxWxH)

oh and I already have a 55gal reef.It's been up and running for about 9months, so I'm not a total noob I just want the endless possibilities of what I can do ???

thanks

Attachments

• image-3028113206.jpg
    image-3028113206.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 99
You could probably have 2 MAYBE 3 small fish in the tank! You could have alot of shrimp tho and make it an awesome reef tank :)

If you're looking for endless posibilites and are not against freshwater, one idea would be to do a low tech planted aquarium with some shrimp and/or maybe a decorative snail or two.

A nice planted tank can be very pleasing to look at and there are some pretty neat looking freshwater shrimp that should be fine in a 10g (I think).

You could do a goby or damsel with inverts. One or two small fish is going to be your max without having severe nitrate problems and territorial disputes etc.

Sexy shrimp are cool along with pom pom crabs and some larger inverts such as peppermint shrimp and other docile inverts. Add a small goby and some corals and youd have a pretty interesting 10g in my opinion.

As for lighting i recommend a led par 38 bulb perhaps. They use standard light sockets and will be absolutely plenty of light for around a 100 i believe. If your looking for less light the a 2 bulb t5 on ebay will do the trick too. Depends what you want to keep coral wise.

You could do a nano reef or a Frag tank

Last edited by a moderator:
Nu-Nu the eel said:
You could probably have 2 MAYBE 3 small fish in the tank! You could have alot of shrimp tho and make it an awesome reef tank :)

can I have a pair of clowns ? like perucula or ocelaris?

Deep Seven said:
If you're looking for endless posibilites and are not against freshwater, one idea would be to do a low tech planted aquarium with some shrimp and/or maybe a decorative snail or two.

A nice planted tank can be very pleasing to look at and there are some pretty neat looking freshwater shrimp that should be fine in a 10g (I think).

I want this to be saltwater but thanks for the idea

Schism said:
You could do a goby or damsel with inverts. One or two small fish is going to be your max without having severe nitrate problems and territorial disputes etc.

Sexy shrimp are cool along with pom pom crabs and some larger inverts such as peppermint shrimp and other docile inverts. Add a small goby and some corals and youd have a pretty interesting 10g in my opinion.

As for lighting i recommend a led par 38 bulb perhaps. They use standard light sockets and will be absolutely plenty of light for around a 100 i believe. If your looking for less light the a 2 bulb t5 on ebay will do the trick too. Depends what you want to keep coral wise.

i will look into the inverts u mentioned thanks.and as far as corals I'm not sure either if I find a good deal on a light fixture on CL il do coral

How about a showpiece refugeium? Show what people never saw before.

Sand with rubble on top substrate, differ macro algae's. Be awesome to show off life in saltwater with no or very small fish.
Friends would come over and see the fish tank and after they see this abundance of life they will be blown away.

And u could do all this with regular light too. You can also use this to feed live pods and algae to your other tank.

Heera said:
How about a showpiece refugeium? Show what people never saw before.

Sand with rubble on top substrate, differ macro algae's. Be awesome to show off life in saltwater with no or very small fish.
Friends would come over and see the fish tank and after they see this abundance of life they will be blown away.

And u could do all this with regular light too. You can also use this to feed live pods and algae to your other tank.

I like that idea thanks ! can I have a pair of clowns? or what fish can I keep?

Clowns will outgrow a 10g. Usually not best to keep them in anything less than a 20g. If you did get a clown i wouldn't recommend anything other than an oscellaris clown and only 1.

does anyone knw what kind of paint I need to paint the back of a glass tank black???

Schism said:
Clowns will outgrow a 10g. Usually not best to keep them in anything less than a 20g. If you did get a clown i wouldn't recommend anything other than an oscellaris clown and only 1.

ok thanks I'm kinda thinking of going with a pistol shrimp and goby

I think that is a very good interesting combo id get a smaller goby such as a yellow watchman perhaps or of similar size. Ive always wanted to try this matchup myself but havnt gotten the chance yet. Tiger pistols are known to pair up more successfully than other species of pistol also.

Squidy07 said:
I like that idea thanks ! can I have a pair of clowns? or what fish can I keep?

Pair of clowns or even an small bta with them. Just don't add anything that will eat the very life you are trying to grow.

Heera said:
Pair of clowns or even an small bta with them. Just don't add anything that will eat the very life you are trying to grow.

Do not put a pair of clowns in a 10g, just putting one oscelleris in is pushing it but 2 is way overboard. Stay with a 2-3 small fish, check out liveaquaria.com they have a section dedicated to nano fish so you can look at what is suitable and decide what you like. Once you know what fish you like from there post it here and we can help narrow down the field.

does anyone knw what kind of paint I need to paint the back of a glass tank black???

kdpuffer said:
Do not put a pair of clowns in a 10g, just putting one oscelleris in is pushing it but 2 is way overboard. Stay with a 2-3 small fish, check out liveaquaria.com they have a section dedicated to nano fish so you can look at what is suitable and decide what you like. Once you know what fish you like from there post it here and we can help narrow down the field.

ok so a yellow watchmen goby, purple firefish and red firefish ....or instead of the red firefish a Tanaka's Pygmy Wrasse???. these 3 fish all say 10 gal min. tank size.

Squidy07 said:
ok so a yellow watchmen goby, purple firefish and red firefish ....or instead of the red firefish a Tanaka's Pygmy Wrasse???. these 3 fish all say 10 gal min. tank size.

Firefish are jumpers so make sure your have a lid.

Back
Top Bottom