eeek I squished my first snail...YUCK

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Meredith

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I have a small snail problem in my 55. Not a huge one, but I do find some snails from time to time. I used to wash them down the drain, but I didn't know how slowly they would die in a septic tank so I stopped that. Then I just started throwing them outside. I have read before how people just squish them and let the fish eat the remains and today... I tried it. The whole crunching business was so yucky but my rams gobbled up the meaty stuff and they LOVE it. Will I become desensitized eventually to the crunching of shell? If not, I will just keep throwing them out to the birds.

It should get a bit easier...but never really easy I imagine. Just tell yourself that you are sparing yourself much trouble in the future by getting rid of them now. And feeding your fish a varied diet at the same time. :)

It might help if you squish them with something other than your fingers. You could try squishing them against the glass with a rubber pencil eraser.

I have aqua gloves I usually use for that. Although, I don't really mind squashing them with just my fingers. :twisted:

I think so long as I catch them when they are small, squishing wont be so bad. But there is one snail in my betta tank that has gotten quite large and he is more of a pet now than pest. I don't think I could squish that one.

never had a probelm with crushing them, but one time i was cleaning out my in tank filter, and i was taking it to the sink. I guess a few snails fell off the filter, and i stepped on them. Man, was that disgusting. The crunch and feeling...ewwww :?

What I don't like is the crunching sound when I squish snails. Yecch! I feel the same way about smashing those big American cockroaches (also called palmetto bugs). At least the little German roaches die quietly.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom