Eggs is my QT tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Right now I have prazipro, parasite guard and general cure. I decided to use parasite guard and was planning on returning the other two but happy to try something else.

As for food I have tried flakes, NLS+A 1 mm pellets and frozen beef heart.

She sits there staring at the top of the tank but when I add few she doesn't really go to the top and if some falls she will try to eat the microscopic bites leftover from the other angelfish.

Anyway to confirm bacterial? I am guessing she should be in the tank alone so the other angel isn't dosed with all this medicine? I only have this 20 gallon and the main 36 gallon tank. So the normal angel would have to go back in the main tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Well it sounds like she wants to eat but can't swallow it. That's better than her not showing any interest in eating at all.
Here's what I would do: Put the healthy fish back into the 36.
Do a 25% water change on the 20 gal ( directions say to do this after 48 hours from first treatment.) then retreat with Tetra parasite guard as directed. Add to this Tetra Fungus guard ( which is okay to use in combination as per the Tetra website.) Fungus guard has Nitrofurazone in it, which is a broad spectrum antibiotic, so this should be attacking both parasitic and bacterial issues the fish might have. Keep carbon out of the filter ( as per Parasite guard's direction) as this will remove any of the meds.
Repeat parasite guard in 48 hours after doing another 25% water change and
use Fungus guard as directed. Do not try to feed while the fish is being medicated. You can try to feed 24-36 hours after the last dose of parasite guard. If she is still not eating/ swallowing, Repeat entire course of both meds starting with a water change.

At this point, you have to assume that it is a "disease" causing this reaction so treating for a broad range of possibilities is the best way to handle this for now. You should see some white stringy poo from this. If you see no defecation, you may want to even try Epsom Salt ( magnesium sulfate not sodium) or an Epsom salt bath which helps relieve constipation to help ease her back into defecating. If it is worms and she gets blocked by dead ones inside, the bath would help her get them moving along.

That's how I would handle this at this point. Keep us posted (y)

Thanks. I will move the angel tomorrow figured better to do it during the day than at night.

Then get the fungus guard and try as directed.

I have never seen the sick fish poo the other one I see all the time.

Worth trying peas first to help with possible constipation? Or Medicate first?

Thanks. I will move the angel tomorrow figured better to do it during the day than at night.

Then get the fungus guard and try as directed.

I have never seen the sick fish poo the other one I see all the time.

Worth trying peas first to help with possible constipation? Or Medicate first?

I'd Medicate first then use Epsom salt over peas. If the fish isn;t eating, the peas just mess up the water. The Epsom salt is absorbed through the skin.

I also prefer to move fish at night as the darkness helps keep them calmer after the move and any other fish in the tank won;t be too eager to be aggressive towards the "newcomer". (y)

Well I went to take your advice and move the second angelfish and noticed a whiter poop hanging usually he has a darker redish /brown and was that way earlier today.

Here is a picture if that helps. He eats everything so was never concerned a about parasites for him before.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413430700.710436.jpg

Looks wormy to me. Medicate them both. The sooner the better. Tell the Mrs. " See, a picture IS worth 1000 words" ;) :lol:

This may be a reaction to the first dose of the parasite guard. Definitely continue with the treatment. If you see him/her not expelling these worms, try feeding a little food. The object is to not create a toxic environment while medicating which is why you withhold food. However, since you need bowel movement to expel them, you may need to feed to keep the pipes going and flowing. (y) Just feed sparingly.

Haha I will let her know.

It's funny almost like the angel fish knew I was going to move him and showed me the white poop. 2 hours ago it looked fine.

I will do a partial water change and dose with parasite guard and the tetra fungus tomorrow after work. Hopefully the extra day won't make a big difference.

Haha I will let her know.

It's funny almost like the angel fish knew I was going to move him and showed me the white poop. 2 hours ago it looked fine.

I will do a partial water change and dose with parasite guard and the tetra fungus tomorrow after work. Hopefully the extra day won't make a big difference.

I don't know what it is with Angels these days. I'm seeing more worm issues than ever before in the domestic fish. It was only an issue back in the 60s with wild fish. Now, I've had at least 4 different Angelfish from 3 different stores in 3 different states have them. All my new fish automatically get wormed now.

As for the delay in getting the fungus guard, not a problem. You need to get rid of the cause before you can really deal with the after effects. Sounds like the cause is trying to leave. The FG will be just as a preventative against any open wounds the worms might leave inside.

As for your little "pooper", Maybe the fish ARE smarter than we think :confused: ;)

Did a 25% water change per the instructions and dosed the tank with parasite guard this morning. Will deal with the fungus guard tonight.

Last time I used parasite guard I still fed the fish but I won't this time based on your instructions.

What is annoying is I bought these from a guttering a large tank with a bunch of angelfish and discus hoping I would get healthy larger fish.

Oh well. Appreciate all your help.

Andy I noticed that on both sides of the female it looks like she is missing scales or covered in white. Not sure if you can tell by the picture. Wasn't sure if it's he fish coloring or something else which might be the problem.

I haven't started a fungus treatment yet.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413513033.837169.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413513043.915350.jpg

I think this is a reaction to her not feeling well. Fish discolor when they don;t feel well. As long as the 2 fish are not fighting with each other, I'd keep them together while treating. If the healthier one starts to pick on her, you will need to separate them but still treat them both.
I am assuming this happened after the water change but only one fish was effected. If this is the case, it's probably not something in the water you added. If both fish are not acting right after the change, check your water parameters and adjust accordingly. You might also want to add PRIME to the tank to detoxify anything that may have come in with the water if both fish aren't acting right.
Lastly, not to overwhelm you, but if the fish is also starting to look a little bloated in the abdominal area, I would do the Epsom Salt bath to try to ease some of that stuff out of her.

Hope this helps.
Keep me posted.

Tomorrow morning will be 48 hours for the parasite treatment.

Haven't started fungus treatment yet.

They both haven't been fed in 48 hours. I am thinking of doing a 24 salt bath tomorrow then trying to feed and see how they act.

Then if normal doing the fungus treatment as a final safeguard.

What do you think about that?

I think, especially since you have one showing stress, that I would be doing both meds at the same time. No sense in waiting.
I wouldn't be in a rush to feed either. The pic showed a worm so unless the fish is having problems pushing it out, feeding only makes the digestive tract work harder and could cause constipation. I'd do the bath then wait at least 24 hours before trying to feed to see if the worms came out.

Unfortunately I had a hard time finding fungus guard. I got some today so will do a 25% water change and do a third dose for parasite and a fungus dose and see what happens.

How long can I keep the fish unfed for?

I have some epson salt and Api aquarium. Which should I use and what dose?

I assume I should wait 48 hours for the meds on dose three to work.

Thanks

Unfortunately I had a hard time finding fungus guard. I got some today so will do a 25% water change and do a third dose for parasite and a fungus dose and see what happens.

How long can I keep the fish unfed for?

I have some epson salt and Api aquarium. Which should I use and what dose?

I assume I should wait 48 hours for the meds on dose three to work.

Thanks

Depending on who you ask, the dose for a bath is 1 teaspoon to 1 tablespoon
of Epsom salt ( NEVER use aquarium salt for constipation baths) per gallon of water. ( Use tank water the fish are in for the bath then throw away after last bath of the day.) Put fish in for 15- 20 minutes up to 2 times per day. This treatment can be repeated daily. ( I use 1 Tbsp. for first baths and reduce only if the fish looks stressed.)

Food, right now, is not necessarily the fish's best friend. There are things in their intestinal tract that can cause more damage than good if they get clogged in there. Food only complicates the issue. The fish are not starving to death so no concerns for feeding until they are finished pooping out those buggers. If you see a huge white poo after the bath, you can try to feed the next day. If not, no food until you do see the poo ;) (y)

Interesting didn't realize you remove the fish from the tank for the bath so do you just do it in a bucket?

Would think what would be stressful on the fish.

Unfortunately the female doesn't appear to be doing so well. I have fungus and parasite guard going. She is swimming kind of side ways.

Wonder if I need to try the epson salt bath.

There is some kind of fuzzy substance forming in parts of the bottom of the tank. And floating in areas.

Unfortunately the female doesn't appear to be doing so well. I have fungus and parasite guard going. She is swimming kind of side ways.

Wonder if I need to try the epson salt bath.

There is some kind of fuzzy substance forming in parts of the bottom of the tank. And floating in areas.

I'm thinking you needed to do the bath about 2 days ago :( How do you think you'd be feeling if your intestines were loaded with stuff that won;t come out? :blink: At this point, the sooner you do it the better the chances that it works. If you do it too late, nothing is going to help. Grab a bucket or clean container and adjust the salt mixture to the volume of water you use. I use a 1/2 gallon glass jar so I use 1/2 of a gallon's worth ( 1/2 tablespoon) of epsom salt. If you have a gallon container or quart container or whatever, you adjust the mix so that it is the equivalent to 1 tablespoon / gal.

The fuzzy stuff is probably uneaten food that is deteriorating. Try to net or siphon it out of the tank if possible. It's doing no good for the environment in there. :nono:

Alright just completed the 15 min bath. She did not enjoy that!

I have accused the bottom of the tank twice from my 25% change and there hasn't been food in 4 days. Maybe something from the filter is causing the fuzzy on the bottom.

We will see what happens. If it works not sure how long before I see poop from her.

I saw mine poop that same night ( I did it first thing in the a.m.) so you may not see anything until the morning.

As for fuzzy, pics always help ;) Your filter shouldn;t be putting out anything fuzzy

I vacuumed up a poop that was half red half white. Note sure from which fish today. So I removed the fuzzy as well.

If it is there again tomorrow I will take a picture.

Back
Top Bottom