Eggs is my QT tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Andy

I have given baths the last two nights for 15-20 minutes. This is day 3 and I see some what poop trying to come out of her.

She is also making a gagging motion a lot. I know oxygen is fine I have a sponge and hob going on a 20 gallon.

Here is the fuzzy stuff that keeps on appearing. Some of them have white specs in them Almost like an egg.

I am trying to setup a third tank, a 30 gallon I just picked up on Craigslist, so I can separate the two of them and monitor them better.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413828285.942811.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413828331.384883.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Andy

I have given baths the last two nights for 15-20 minutes. This is day 3 and I see some what poop trying to come out of her.

She is also making a gagging motion a lot. I know oxygen is fine I have a sponge and hob going on a 20 gallon.

Here is the fuzzy stuff that keeps on appearing. Some of them have white specs in them Almost like an egg.

I am trying to setup a third tank, a 30 gallon I just picked up on Craigslist, so I can separate the two of them and monitor them better.

View attachment 253513View attachment 253514

I'd keep giving them baths until they stop pooping.
As for the fuzzy stuff, if you are not feeding and it's not coming from the filter, I can only sermise that it is either undissolved medication or something percipitating out of the water. The pics don;t look like fish eggs and so there is little else that could be causing this. I'd continue to siphon it out when doing water changes as per the directions.
On a side note, Fungus Guard should be making the water a greenish color. Why doesn't your water look green in the pics?

Keep me posted (y)

Thanks will do another bath tonight.

The water is very green with the flash and light you just can't notice in the picture I guess.

You know your stuff!!!

So after fungus treatment ends do I just do salt baths? I am guessing I should stop the parasite treatment given it has been 3 of them already.

Starting to think it will be a miracle if she survives but will keep trying.

You know your stuff!!!

So after fungus treatment ends do I just do salt baths? I am guessing I should stop the parasite treatment given it has been 3 of them already.

Starting to think it will be a miracle if she survives but will keep trying.

LOL. To quote my late Mother to me, " You should have been a DOCTOR!!!!" :D
The plan is to kill the bugs inside the fish, get the fish to poop them out, keep the fish from getting secondary infections. In that order. ;)
The Parasite Guard package says 3 treatments so if you have done 3, that's it. Continue with the baths and fungus guard as directed. Once you've finished the full course of Fungus guard as directed ( repeating if allowed) then it's just Epsom salt baths until the fish starts crapping like someone's who has drunk Mexican water. :lol: ( It's a long story, but I had the displeasure about 30 years ago. :eek: )
Once you are finished with the medicines, you might want to add liquid vitamens to the water to help both get some strength back. I noticed my fish did look better once I started with the vitamens. I used both Vita Chem and Acurel Body Rx so whichever you can get should be fine.

Truthfully, I'm encouraged that she is still alive to this point. The turning colors was not a good sign but of she is still responding, not changing colors ( or adding new colors) that's a positive sign to me. Keep going (y)

Every time I go look at her she looks half on her site sitting on the bottom of the tank, but will smill a little. I think I officially spent more money on medication for this fish then I paid for it two weeks ago.

Wonder if I bought a sick fish or the change in environment etc made her sick. She was in a large tank with angels and discus and put her in a brand new cycled tank so I know my tank was clean.

Every time I go look at her she looks half on her site sitting on the bottom of the tank, but will smill a little. I think I officially spent more money on medication for this fish then I paid for it two weeks ago.

Wonder if I bought a sick fish or the change in environment etc made her sick. She was in a large tank with angels and discus and put her in a brand new cycled tank so I know my tank was clean.

Unfortunately, all the above are possible. Between the fish possibly being infected when it came to the store or getting infected by the other fish it was housed with or the stress of acclimation or being put into a smaller tank or breeding in and of itself all could have played a part in this situation. Intestinal worms are contageous but you have to know one of the fish is infected to prevent it spreading which, in this case, has effected the 2 fish. This is another example of why it is so important to qt any fish from any store these days.
When it comes to cost of medicating, tough decisions need to be made. Yes, sometimes, it's more expensive to fix a problem then to replace the fish. But then you need to weigh the other aspects of why you picked "that" fish in the first place. As I said, it's a tough decision. One I try desperately not to have to make, personally. This is why when I go to a pet store or fish only store, I look at everything in the store and not just what I came to the store for. I look for how the other fish look or how the other animals in the shop look. If a store has a number of tanks with sick or dying fish in them, it means I don;t care how good the fish I came for looks because the store's supplier or employees are questionable to me. Same with the other animals. If these don;t look healthy, why should I assume that the fish are going to be healthy? ( I believe I spoke at length about this in the Wigglers at last!!! thread when I was on the road looking for fish in other states.) So some of the responsibility is ours as hobbyists.
At this point, you may want to notify the shop you got these fish from and see if their fish have contracted anything or if your fish do die, if they would do any kind of credit for you. After that, there's not much you can do but keep trying to fix her/ them and hope for the best outcome possible. There's always hope as long as the fish is breathing (y)

I don't have the heart to kill a fish. I picked up a free tank that had two fish I didn't want and drove an hour to a pet store that would take them in!

I got the angelfish from a guy on a Chicago fish forum. So they were in his 125 gallon tank with discus and other angel fish.

They all appeared healthy but who knows. These two fish were not paired to my knowledge so maybe the "force pairing" was yo stressful.

Either way I will continue to do daily salt baths and hope for the best.

But she sits and stairs at a piece of slat I put in the tank all day long.

Unfortunately she is losing even more color and still won't eat.

I am probably going to move the other angelfish out and see if that helps her.

Not sure there is much I can do at this point.

Thanks. I officially evicted the other angel into his very own 33 gallon tank for now. Got him a new heater and everything.

Now that I have the sick angel separated is there anything else to try. Still doing daily salt baths. Today I added more salt to see if that does anything.

Any point in using aquarium salt or epson salt in the actual tank full time? I have been using epson for the bath.

Every Once in awhile she try to grab s flake but takes a small bite and starts chocking / gagging.

Thanks. I officially evicted the other angel into his very own 33 gallon tank for now. Got him a new heater and everything.

Now that I have the sick angel separated is there anything else to try. Still doing daily salt baths. Today I added more salt to see if that does anything.

Any point in using aquarium salt or epson salt in the actual tank full time? I have been using epson for the bath.

Every Once in awhile she try to grab s flake but takes a small bite and starts chocking / gagging.

Have you seen any signs of her defecating? If not, you may need to up the dose of Epsom Salt in the bath. You can also treat her tank (one time) with Epsom salt at a dose of 1 teaspoon per 5 gals of water. Only replace what you remove through water changes. Do not make the concentration higher than 1-2 teaspoons per 5 gals. NEVER use regular salt (sodium chloride) for this condition. While it has the word SALT in it, Epsom salt is magnesium and not sodium so it works very differently.

Something else you may need to consider is another deworming medication. If the fish is still trying to eat but "choking" it sounds like it is still infected with live worms. (FYI, any dry or freeze dried food is not the best thing to feed a fish in her condition. Frozen brine or live foods would be a better choice and easier on her system. However, in this condition, feeding is low on her requirements. Relief is much higher. ) You might want to try this med: Fish Bendazole (Fenbendazole Powder) - 3 packets - Ozark Mountain Survival and Self Reliance | Ozark Mountain Survival and Self Reliance
It was used as a last resort med for worms by another hobbyist and it worked like a charm. ( I have no first hand experience with this med and only going by the reported results. )Since both API's General Cure and Parasite Guard have the same general worming ingredients, it's probably useless to switch to the General Cure at this point.

That's all I can think of for now. :(

Do you think prazipro would do anything? I have that laying around.

So you put a very diluted amount of salt in the tank as well as take her out for quick high dose baths?

What about the Api aquarium salt?

Do you think prazipro would do anything? I have that laying around.

So you put a very diluted amount of salt in the tank as well as take her out for quick high dose baths?

What about the Api aquarium salt?

Aquarium salt is sodium chloride. NOT good for this condition. Epsom salt has laxative qualities which is why you use it in a bath. You don;t want to use it in high doses long term as it is magnesium so you have to be mindful of overdosing through too much absorption.

As for Prazipro, check the ingredients and expiration date. If it the same as what you have been using, I doubt it will work.

So the male in his own tank will eat everything and anything. The female still struggles to swim and eat.

I noticed white poop from the male today. Does that mean he still had parasites? If so apparently all the rounds of medicine did nothing but he is still strong enough to eat and swim while the female isn't.

So the male in his own tank will eat everything and anything. The female still struggles to swim and eat.

I noticed white poop from the male today. Does that mean he still had parasites? If so apparently all the rounds of medicine did nothing but he is still strong enough to eat and swim while the female isn't.

If the poo is POO opposed to worms, then it sounds like the meds didn;t work. If the poo is worms, and they are not moving when out of the body, it will show the meds did work.
It sounds like they are not working on the female. I'd try the other med I suggested.

Back
Top Bottom