Electric blue Ram and General tank maint help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ozy

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi there!

I have a few questions in regards to my 60 litre

60 litre or 15.8 US Gallons.

Fluval C2 Filter with Carbon, bio, and Ammonia remover.

Seachem Eco substrate.

2 Peppermint Catfish. about an inch each. They will outgrow this tank, I have located a new home for them - within a few months.

2 Otocinclus

1 Chequered Barb (Male) I had 2 females with him. They died recently of what I can make out to be Dropsy.

2 Khuli Loaches about 2 inches each.

2 Electric Blue Rams. (pair, and have attempted to breed. But they may be siblings! should I separate the female into my 90 litre once done and buy another male and female to pair up with the existing ones?)

I also have 4 adult cherry shrimps with about 30 fry.

Ammonia: .25
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10
PH: 7.0
I have not tested anything else.

The tank is heavily planted - you can see it on youtube "Electric Blue Rams Nest with Eggs" It is the poor quality video posted by me MrOzzy214.

Here are my Q's:

1) Can I use a new Fluval C2 filter I recently purchased for a temp tank as well as the existing C2 on the 60 litre at the same time? Will there be any problems doing this?

2) I clean the 60 litre out every week with a 35% water change. Every two weeks I use the tank water to rinse my sponge and bio noodles. The Carbon and Ammonia removers get rinsed under my tap. Until last week I was simply using a gravel cleaner to syphon the water out. However as the substrate is planted and I have hair grass and micro swords spreading I didn't want to clean it. But then I realised that there is decaying food on it as well as the plants. Now I sought of disturb the plants and eco so to raise the guk and suck it up. I usually feed the fish twice a day with two pinches each time. I occasionally feed them different brands and frozen brine shrimp. Is there anything I’m doing wrong here? should I change my methods? I should note that up until last month, I was pouring water directly in to the tank. Then adding conditioner and prime directly into the tank at the required levels. Now I condition the water in a bucket and heat until the temp is matched before adding. I have noticed the fish remain very happy this way. So sad, what mistakes I’ve been making! I know some of you fish lovers will be upset at me and rightfully so! I haven’t done enough research before jumping in to the hobby. However, I must stress that most LFS's around here are pretty lame at the advice they give.

3) As mentioned before. I have a pair of Electric blue rams. I purchased them together from the same LFS. They have been trying to breed, please check out my you tube video. I believe that they are both siblings. Should I attempt to finding another male and female to pair up with these guys? the two pairs will go into two different tanks. I really want to breed them, i know they are demanding but would love to be pointed in the right direction.

Thanks so much in advance for any help you provide.

Back
Top Bottom