eletric yellow beard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's ok to have the 5 o'clock shadow. :) I remember reading a few months ago that it has to do with the generation number. When our first lab started showing the "shadow" I freaked out and posted on AA. For months I was changing up the food trying to figure out what was wrong. lol Perfectly normal.

Actually it depends on the genetics, not the generation number. I have a few yellow lab's from the lfs that have to be quite long descended from wild-caught that don't have the black around the face. The interesting thing to me is that I've seen others at the same shop mine came from that do have it. Usually the dominant male shows it but mine never has, even before he killed off the other adult male. I'm waiting for the fry to mature to see if any of them develop it, but their daddy is still clean.

It's somewhat normal as there are wild caught fish that also exhibit this trait. "Bearding" and "barring" are things that are normal (but not very prevalent) in the wild and is considered to be an undesirable trait by breeders.

Back
Top Bottom