Eric's 90 gallon reef build.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's what I thought, thanks. Im guessing just standard PVC cement to bond?

I use the cleaner first. It does help make a better bond. With some bulkheads a PVC female threaded union (female threads to a PVC glue fit) can be used on the outside threads. That way the bulkhead isn't ruined if you have to repair or change the plumbing. Especially for drains. Just use some Teflon tape on the bulkhead end and glue PVC to the other end of the union.

Last edited:
That is what I have, female threaded inside the tank and female slip on the sump side. I can't wait to get water in this. I ordered a bucket of salt on Thursday, should be in soon. I still need to get my rocks arranged and epoxied together.

I spent some time on the rock tonight. The epoxy holds very well, it seems sturdy. I need one more rock on top of the pile in front of the overflow and the other side will be where I put my couple pieces of established rock after I cycle this tank.
img_2677181_0_77a14054a1f0eda25b38570d9393ded9.jpg

if you haven't finished the plumbing yet, id look into a different type of cement to use between the bulkhead and pvc line. (if you need to use cement between the two) the bulkhead is likely made out of abs plastic, not pvc. IME pvc cement will just turn abs platic into a mush and wont seal right. there is a pvc to abs cement that lowes/home depot sells that I used and it worked like a charm. the problem I had the first time around (using pvc cement) was that the pipe just kept spinning inside the bulkhead when I attempted to tighten it, which in turn caused a continuous headache for me

if you haven't finished the plumbing yet, id look into a different type of cement to use between the bulkhead and pvc line. (if you need to use cement between the two) the bulkhead is likely made out of abs plastic, not pvc. IME pvc cement will just turn abs platic into a mush and wont seal right. there is a pvc to abs cement that lowes/home depot sells that I used and it worked like a charm. the problem I had the first time around (using pvc cement) was that the pipe just kept spinning inside the bulkhead when I attempted to tighten it, which in turn caused a continuous headache for me

I have ABS cement as well, would I need to plumb the drain with abs?

I just read that there is a transition cement that allows the you to join the two, it isn't ideal but it seems as though on a low pressure constant temperature applications it will work better than anything else. Thanks for the heads up, I'm not sure what I was thinking... I know the difference in the two materials.

I made the same mistake the first time around. I just happened to remember it and mentioned it to the employee at HD and he gave me the transition cement

Gregcoyote said:
I've always used PVC cement and have never had an issue with it on bulkheads. But will look into that cement anyway.

Gregcoyote did you get my message i sent you?

I put in a lot of work today, I am ready for water! I finished my rock and added my sand. I got all of my plumbing in and am pretty impressed with myself. It looks pretty good IMO.
img_2678204_0_e461c1d239bb6a9937a57132eba58b5b.jpg

Plumbing to the sump.
img_2678204_1_b27ad582437a9898db302bd60906cda4.jpg

Overflow plumbing.
img_2678204_2_c259b7269007c625c8444065e5521713.jpg

I made my return have an adjustable height using a spanning fitting, I can also adjust the angle of my strainer so I can hopefully fine tune my overflow. It is similar to the returns you can buy with a tank.
img_2678204_3_6591e09436179f680ab01138f704a3a5.jpg

Now if I could just get my stinking flexible tubing into the barbs and secured I would be finished.

Google "hoffer gurgle buster"... I built two for my tank and once they are fine tuned, they are quieter than the durso style

Google "hoffer gurgle buster"... I built two for my tank and once they are fine tuned, they are quieter than the durso style

That is rather clever, I may have to try that on my next build. I will see how mine does and if it is to loud I may consider changing. I think mine should be pretty quiet, it looks like it is a durso standpipe design. I did a little research but I was mostly concerned about preventing something from clogging my overflow because noise is far better than water damage.

Eggcrate

So what is your reasoning for the egg crate in the bottom? Looks like you covered it in sand.

The rocks sit on the egg crate and then are covered in sand. That way no burrowing critters (fish or others) will cause the rocks to topple over. It also protects the glass from being scratched by the rocks.

The rocks sit on the egg crate and then are covered in sand. That way no burrowing critters (fish or others) will cause the rocks to topple over. It also protects the glass from being scratched by the rocks.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

I got may salt today. I now have enough to fill my tank twice...
img_2683574_0_933e571d7abc02ad3add1b255c016a6f.jpg

I was sort of realizing that. Really it will fill my tank and do 10 water changes of 10%. So I will be getting more in 2 months... After my cycle that is.

Back
Top Bottom