Eric's 90 gallon reef build.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looking good how have you been testing the stands tolerances?

I thought about breaking out my old strength of materials text book and running some numbers but never did. I also considered a solid model and running a finite element analysis on the model, I can hardly find time to build it so I don't know where I would find the time for that. Finally I did what any good engineer would do, I looked at a stand at my LFS for a 90 gallon tank and beefed it up. I added 6 verticals 2x4s and swapped out the 2x4s below the tank for som 2x6s. This way I am sure it is stronger than the one I could buy and still cheaper. I will find out if my theory is correct when I fill the tank.

Haha your a practical engineer! Over support is never a bad thing in my opinion. Do u plan on staining the stand or leaving it natural?

I try to be, if I were to be mass producing these then over support in the way of excess materials would be a waste of money. For my own personal single build I say the more support the better, I don't want 90 gallons of salty liquid fail all over my basement carpet.

I am planning of putting a thin 1/4" thick or so sheet of wood all around the stand and painting it black. For the inside I am gonna deal it with polyurethane. And use 3/4" plywood for the back and the bottom. At some point I want to add some fancy looking doors but I may just use black plywood for now so I can get the important part done and keep the dogs and cat out of the sump.

I haven't had a lot of free time between work and school but I finally got some work in on the tank build. I put the rest of my stand together tonight, just needs paint and the top screwed down then its ready for a tank. I'm gonna put the final touches on the tank while/after the cycle.

I was planning on transferring all my rock from my 29 and hopefully skipping the cycle but now with school I will be taking it slow. At least now I know I won't have to worry about loosing livestock.

Here is the stand as of tonight.

img_2645640_0_fb8c2845f44bfedccd58fdec3cacbd64.jpg

Thanks, there is quite a bit of room but it is still a little questionable as to if I can get the sump in there easily. I know I can get it in but I'm not sure if I will be able too after attaching the top. It would be nice to be able to remove the sump in the future if needed. I may go check that right now, I am a bit worried.

Build is looking good. Drilling and rousing the rocks is the only way to go.

I think I am going to try the plumbers epoxy, I don't have the time to drill all of my rocks and I have read the epoxy works well.

It looks like I am building my tank around my sump, I think I may remove a bit of support to make this not the case. I would like the ability to remove the sump if needed. I have 3 2X4s at each corner. If I notch 1 on the front and one on the back corner so I have 2 and a half at each of those corners I can slide it in from the side. This should still give me tons of support. Any thoughts?

I think I am going to try the plumbers epoxy, I don't have the time to drill all of my rocks and I have read the epoxy works well.

It looks like I am building my tank around my sump, I think I may remove a bit of support to make this not the case. I would like the ability to remove the sump if needed. I have 3 2X4s at each corner. If I notch 1 on the front and one on the back corner so I have 2 and a half at each of those corners I can slide it in from the side. This should still give me tons of support. Any thoughts?

I think that would be fine, should be plenty of support still. The stand looks nice, good work!

I think that would be fine, should be plenty of support still. The stand looks nice, good work!

I just found an online calculator for wood column strength and I think I am going to notch the stand out as needed. Each leg of my stand should be able to support my tank on its own so I'm not that worried.

I got the stand cut as needed and put the final screws in for the load baring part of my stand. I coated my internal wood surfaces with polyurethane since im sure it will be nice and humid down there. I am hoping to get my top on the stand and get it painted so I can get the tank up there. I want to see how it will look so badly. Then I can start to rock scape. :)

I got the stand cut as needed and put the final screws in for the load baring part of my stand. I coated my internal wood surfaces with polyurethane since im sure it will be nice and humid down there. I am hoping to get my top on the stand and get it painted so I can get the tank up there. I want to see how it will look so badly. Then I can start to rock scape. :)

Awesome! Pics

, I got more done this weekend than planned.
-I finished the polyurethane on the stand.
-Painted one side of the top.
-moved the tank to the basement.
-put the furniture movers on the stand feet.
-put the sump in the stand.

I hope the furniture movers help, I don't know if anyone has tried this before but I thought it was a good idea. I can move the stand effortlessly so at least it will be easy to get the tank into place. My hope is that with some water out of the tank I will be able to slide it away from the wall with help from one or two people, that way I can get to the wall behind the tank if needed for whatever reason. I am very pleased with the stand so far, and here is the picture.

img_2654578_0_cf8e40690304bc1d5e35ba2ef27f5251.jpg
[/IMG]

The next step is to attach the top and drill it for my plumbing. After That I can paint it and put the tank on and plumb it.

For some reason the whole post above won't show up on my app unless I click on the post. So for those who are on the app... Here is the picture.

img_2654580_0_cf8e40690304bc1d5e35ba2ef27f5251.jpg

I moved my stand over where it will go just to see how it looks. It makes my 29 look tiny.
img_2656903_0_635d03281d4f1cbbf9bbd87d4b6e4402.jpg

I am getting excited, I'm hoping to have it filled in less than a month so I can start my cycle.

I have been making slow progress on the tank but I am moving. I finished the top of my stand, it is now ready for the tank:). I wish I could get some assistance to lift it on tonight but I guess I'm gonna have to wait. I shimmed my feet to compensate for my slanted floor... You can never trust a basement floor to be level but at least my tank will be. The furniture movers are amazing, I can move the stand effortlessly by myself, I doubt that will be the case with a full tank... Here is a pic of my stand tonight.
img_2667626_0_b5bb804e25b06c62ff530210abaf5ee8.jpg

I also got one of my two screen lids finished up tonight. I am pleased, BRS gave me so much mesh I am gonna need more tanks, I think I am gonna use 1/4th of it for my 90 and 29. Someone a long while back wanted a picture of the screen so I hope they haven't been waiting around for it, I don't even know if it was on this thread.
img_2667626_1_80b7511ca4e6e0e8c7c8b96cfe41273d.jpg

Thanks, I got my tank on the stand today. Now it's time for some rock work and some plumbing then its water time:). It is just a bit bigger than my 29.
img_2672622_0_4439c16a189d43427baca2cce878721d.jpg

I am starting on my plumbing tonight. Quick question, do I glue my PVC straight into my bulk head? That is what I thought I was supposed to do but when I dry fit it the connection seems a bit wobbly.

Back
Top Bottom