Experience with clown killifish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheresaM

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm thinking about finally giving killifish a try finally, specifically clown killifish. Everything I've read says that they're peaceful. Would I be able to keep them in a 10g with a few male Endlers and some shrimp? Are they picky eaters? And lastly, I can either purchase a pair or a few singly, what would be best?

Thank you!

I don't personally have experience with them, but I did consider it for a while. While I was researching, I read that they frequently jump out of tanks, so make sure you have a secure cover on the aquarium. They come in a lot of sizes, so make sure you know how big the species will be before putting it in a 10 gallon.

I don't personally have experience with them, but I did consider it for a while. While I was researching, I read that they frequently jump out of tanks, so make sure you have a secure cover on the aquarium. They come in a lot of sizes, so make sure you know how big the species will be before putting it in a 10 gallon.

I did read about the jumping, thanks! What I found interesting in researching killies is that very small tanks are often suggested, but I would assume that's for breeding purposes.

I've kept clown killies and they're one of my favorite nano fish. I kept them in an open top 10g and only had one jumper, although that particular tank did have a decent amount of frogbit to discourage jumping. They spend most of their time at the very top but will venture to all parts of the tank at times too. Mine were kept with RCS and regularly hunted the shrimplets but never bothered the adults. I'd recommend getting more females to males as the males can be pretty incessant with their courtship. I'd also say they're best in a group. They also have very small mouths so be prepared to grind up some flakes! Mine are not picky eaters at all. I'd avoid keeping them with any sort of boisterous fish but a few male Endlers should be fine. Great choice and great little fish! The males in particular are pretty spectacular once they fully color up!

With otos, yes. With zebra danios definitely not as they occupy the same strata and the danios would definitely out compete the clown killies for food. I'd personally only keep clown killies in nano fish type tanks.

I know that many species of killifish are seasnal, because they lay their eggs in shallow waters in the wet season, then when it gets hot and dry, the water dries up and the fish eggs actually sit out of the water for like 2 months. During this time all the adults die so many killifish only live for like a year.

A few species like the golden wonder killie and the gardnerie killie (I have a mating pair of these) are not seasonal so they can live much longer, but I'm not totally sure about clown killies.

I'm thinking about finally giving killifish a try finally, specifically clown killifish. Everything I've read says that they're peaceful. Would I be able to keep them in a 10g with a few male Endlers and some shrimp? Are they picky eaters? And lastly, I can either purchase a pair or a few singly, what would be best?

Thank you!

I'm not sure about keeping them with endlers, they may be out competed for food. I keep mine in both covered and uncovered tanks, but you definitely need floating plants if it's uncovered, they didn't get the nickname rocket killi for lying on the bottom. I always fed mine crushed flake and bbs (live and frozen) and as stated above more females than males.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Wow, thanks so much for all the info!

Not the easiest fish to find it seems. Liveaquaria sells pairs, would cost close to $70 with shipping. Still waiting to hear back from The Wet Spot.

Wow, thanks so much for all the info!

Not the easiest fish to find it seems. Liveaquaria sells pairs, would cost close to $70 with shipping. Still waiting to hear back from The Wet Spot.

Try msjinkzd.com Rachel almost always has them in stock

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom