Filling out schools.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was also thinking more Betta. I might get a female because my LFS has some beautiful white-pink ones that look almost albino even though they're not. They're pretty. That just leaves the schoolers and bottom feeders. For the latter, I'm thinking pygmy Cories. I like how they swim in the water a bit instead of just along the bottom. How many should i get? :)

Mr.Albiman said:
I was also thinking more Betta. I might get a female because my LFS has some beautiful white-pink ones that look almost albino even though they're not. They're pretty. That just leaves the schoolers and bottom feeders. For the latter, I'm thinking pygmy Cories. I like how they swim in the water a bit instead of just along the bottom. How many should i get? :)

A group of at least 6 would be best! And they'll fit, i'm pretty sure. Hopefully someone more experienced with them can give you a better estimate.

I love light colored bettas! Pearl-colored ones are my favorite. I got a dragonscale female recently and she's a pearly white-green-blue color. So pretty. Pastel colors on a fish is so striking against the dark backgrounds i use.

Do you know where you will get your fish? Im curious. My lfs is a fail and 2 bus rides away, so i usually do my shopping online. I hope your lfs is nicer than mine!

I was also thinking about 6 to 8.

I agree with the pastel colours/dark background. It really makes them pop!

My LFS is a tiny little shop called Spire Aquatics in Chesterfield, England. It's great. The fish are healthy and happy and the guy who owns it is a fish KEEPER not just a fishHAVER y'know? He's friendly and knowledgeable. :D

Ya those r usually the best ones... I've been driving 20 miles either way to petco or pet supplies plus for months now just to find out I have a mom and pop place ironicaly named mom and dads like 3/4 of a mile down the road from my house a week ago lol, which needless to say I get educated answers and quality fish

I know how you feel. There's a PetsAtHome just down the road, but I'd definitely rather catch the bus to go to Spire Aquatics. The fish and staff are of much higher quality ;)

Once you start stocking i hope you create a journal thread! I would love to see how the tank comes together

I'm not sure what schooling fish to go with. Ember Tetras or Celestial Pearl Danios/Galaxy Rasboras? Which would suit a 15 gallon tank with live plants, black background and black fine gravel with a female Betta and 6-8 pygmy Cories?

My experience with celestials is they are hoverers, males picking out good spots in the tank and defending it against rivals. In tight spaces weak males can be worried to death. 75 degrees is warm for them, more of a temperate fish then true tropical. I'd also imagin a good sized betta could swallow them.

I was leaning more towards Ember Tetras. How do you reckon they'd work out and how many?

Does anyone know how many Pygmy Cories I should get? :)

Seems fine. 6 to 10 of each, the greater amount meaning larger water changes, i personally do weekly 50% changes on anything under 20 gal.

Thanks, i think I'm gonna go with 1 Female Betta, 8 Pygmy Cories and 12 Ember Tetras. I agree with the water changes. I also do 50% weekly. :)

The female betta will be most aggressive of that stocking list. Add her last.

Make sure you have a sand substrate and driftwood for both the corys and the embers.

Okay thanks:) i was planning on swapping the black gravel for black sand anyway. How do you go about that without wiping out too much BB?

I was also going to get some Anubias Nana on a small bit of driftwood so that box is checked ;)

and don't worry, the Betta will definitely be added last. :D

I changed my tank from gravel to sand and it didnt cause any problems.
Supposedly most of the bacteria is in the filter

What are the dimensions of your tank? That matters for stocking. Your potential stock of 8 pygmy corys and 12 embers sounds good, but we need to know the tank dimensions to be sure. :)

Oh good o! Does any one know any brands of sand in the UK that are 'Cory safe'? I heard Tahitian Black Moon Sand will damage their barbels? Do i prewash the sand (a LOT from what I've read) and swap it with all the gravel in one go? :D

Back
Top Bottom