Filter for 55g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KJG86

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I am going to be starting a 55g tank and need to buy a filter and a heater. I would like some recommendations on what would be best. I'm thinking of doing cichlids. I'm going to set the tank up now and cycle it without any fish in it.

i would say an eheim classic canister filter 2217, i have the 2215 on my 38 gallons and love it!

if you dont want to go the canister route then 2 aquaclear 70's or 110's depending on budget would also work great

and i think 2 200w or 2 300w heaters should work, i use aqueon brand and never have any issues

AquaClear or Aqueon on the filters; depends on how you want to configure the tank: On a 55 or larger, I say multiple filters for more water agitation; if you choose Aqueon, go with their largest "QuietFlow 55/75" model, seen here:

Amazon.com: Aqueon 06079 QuietFlow 55/75 Power Filter, 400-GPH: Pet Supplies

Now...you can either do one of those, two of those, or go with the AquaClear series, from which you could get a couple of "70" models, or perhaps a 110 model and combine that with a smaller model...the AquaClears look like this:

Amazon.com: AquaClear 110 Aquarium Power Filter - for 60 to 110 Gallon: Pet Supplies

For an example, in my 60 gallon goldfish tank, I run an Aqueon QuietFlow 55, the predecessor of the 55/75 they sell now, and an AquaClear 110, for a combined total water turnover rate of 800 plus gallons per hour...my water remains pristine this way.

I would say a fluval 306, or as said a single 110. A single 70 could work also, just less flow. You could also go with 2 aqua clear 50's on each side.

Back
Top Bottom