Filter Mistake ... And hopefully correction?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

echz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all! This is my first post, and I'm glad I've stumbled upon this forum!

I've recently set up my 37 gallon Top Fin kit in early January (it holds about 30 gallons of water with all the displacement from the gravel and objects), and have been doing 5 gallon water changes every week. I've had success with the fish I have in there currently, and would like to keep it going -- Which brings me to the pickle I am currently in...

Trying to "follow directions" from the manufacturer (which, in turn after reading my first few pages of forums here I found out is a bad idea!), I replaced my Large size filter in my Top Fin 40 filter kit with a new one today after a little over a month's worth of use. Come to find out after reading a few posts, I basically don't ever want to replace that unless its starting to shred (at least that's the understanding I took away).

My question is, should I grab the old filter cartridge out of the trash and pop it back in there? Is that safe? (It's still on the top of the trash can, and been out about 2 hours) I would like to do what's best for the fish, but I also would not like to have to do a fish-less cycle again!

Any help or insight anyone can provide, I'm eagerly awaiting responses! I'm pretty sure this is my first major screw up with this tank, and I'd like it to be my last :banghead: :facepalm: ---> :thanks: for any and all help!

Yes get it out unless has food on it. It probably is still wet and will be better than starting over. And if both will fit in leave the new one in too.

Alright cool, thanks for the quick reply! I will go replace the new one with the original -- If I can fit them both, which side of the old filter should I put the new filter on? The "Water out to tank" side or the "Water In From Tank" side, or does it not matter?

echz said:
Hello all! This is my first post, and I'm glad I've stumbled upon this forum!

I've recently set up my 37 gallon Top Fin kit in early January (it holds about 30 gallons of water with all the displacement from the gravel and objects), and have been doing 5 gallon water changes every week. I've had success with the fish I have in there currently, and would like to keep it going -- Which brings me to the pickle I am currently in...

Trying to "follow directions" from the manufacturer (which, in turn after reading my first few pages of forums here I found out is a bad idea!), I replaced my Large size filter in my Top Fin 40 filter kit with a new one today after a little over a month's worth of use. Come to find out after reading a few posts, I basically don't ever want to replace that unless its starting to shred (at least that's the understanding I took away).

My question is, should I grab the old filter cartridge out of the trash and pop it back in there? Is that safe? (It's still on the top of the trash can, and been out about 2 hours) I would like to do what's best for the fish, but I also would not like to have to do a fish-less cycle again!

Any help or insight anyone can provide, I'm eagerly awaiting responses! I'm pretty sure this is my first major screw up with this tank, and I'd like it to be my last :banghead: :facepalm: ---> :thanks: for any and all help!

+1 I agree pop it back it . Whatever bacteria you had is better than anything . You will have more surface area if you use the old +new .

Id put the old one first then then new one. Have the old one to catch all the crap coming in

I got the original back in just fine, but I was only able to add the new filter in the position before the old one, so the new one is doing the 'junk' filtering.

I just had my water tested today in the store, and she said everything was alright except it appeared the ammonia was getting near the stress level, which after reading around here is anything > 0 (I wish I'd have found this site BEFORE I had a problem! lol)

I'm going to go tomorrow to get the API Master Test Kit so I'll be able to take my own (hopefully way more accurate) readings and not have to rely on taking a sample in every time.

echz said:
I got the original back in just fine, but I was only able to add the new filter in the position before the old one, so the new one is doing the 'junk' filtering.

I just had my water tested today in the store, and she said everything was alright except it appeared the ammonia was getting near the stress level, which after reading around here is anything > 0 (I wish I'd have found this site BEFORE I had a problem! lol)

I'm going to go tomorrow to get the API Master Test Kit so I'll be able to take my own (hopefully way more accurate) readings and not have to rely on taking a sample in every time.

You couldn't take out the new one then put old one back then put new where old is now? That's a mouthful. Yes its much btr if u check it that way u can do a PWC right then and not have to wait all night then the day. Ur not suppose to have any ammonia so something sounds off! How long have u had fish in it? And how long did u cycle it? It sounds like its not cycled yet.

Look up a member named Librarygirl, she wrote a very informative article about starting and cycling a freshwater tank.

I take my filter out every couple weeks and swish it around in tank water I've removed from doing a water change then pop it back in.

I guess I could just flip flop them, I didn't even think of that! (That's telling me it's also bedtime haha)

I cycled it for about 2.5 weeks, and then added fish in 3's for the last 3 weeks, bringing me a total of 9 fish.

The test kit does seem like a handy enough item to have around, I don't know why more people don't mention to get one when you start your setup!

Welcome to the forum, did you rinse the old cartridge in tank water before adding it back in? If not no biggie but it's never a bad idea, also when your cartridge is dirty make sure you rinse in a bucket of tank water and not under the tap.

echz said:
I guess I could just flip flop them, I didn't even think of that! (That's telling me it's also bedtime haha)

I cycled it for about 2.5 weeks, and then added fish in 3's for the last 3 weeks, bringing me a total of 9 fish.

The test kit does seem like a handy enough item to have around, I don't know why more people don't mention to get one when you start your setup!

Because half of the time they don't know what their doing anyway. Where did u buy the kit? Did u get a python water changer to. You can buy alot of these things from amazon alot cheaper than ur lfs.

Welcome to the forum, did you rinse the old cartridge in tank water before adding it back in? If not no biggie but it's never a bad idea, also when your cartridge is dirty make sure you rinse in a bucket of tank water and not under the tap.

Thanks for the welcome! I did take a couple of glassfulls of tank water and put them in a pitcher and rinsed the filter (and discarded the pitcher water) before I stuck the filter back in.

Because half of the time they don't know what their doing anyway. Where did u buy the kit? Did u get a python water changer to. You can buy alot of these things from amazon alot cheaper than ur lfs.

I didn't get a python kit (again, wish I'd have been reading here before I started! :facepalm:) I just got the large gravel vac/syphon penis-pump looking thing for doing my changes. A buddy of mine also gave me a battery operated vacuum that just does vacuuming and not changes, and I've used that with a lot of success.

Good call on the Amazon suggestion -- I've been looking there for a lot of my things but put off on ordering them because I get into the mindset of "I need it now or I'm going to die without it!!"

The python might be the way for me to go though, because I see a lot of 5+ gallon changes coming daily for about the next month! :scrambleup:

echz said:
Thanks for the welcome! I did take a couple of glassfulls of tank water and put them in a pitcher and rinsed the filter (and discarded the pitcher water) before I stuck the filter back in.

I didn't get a python kit (again, wish I'd have been reading here before I started! :facepalm:) I just got the large gravel vac/syphon penis-pump looking thing for doing my changes. A buddy of mine also gave me a battery operated vacuum that just does vacuuming and not changes, and I've used that with a lot of success.

Good call on the Amazon suggestion -- I've been looking there for a lot of my things but put off on ordering them because I get into the mindset of "I need it now or I'm going to die without it!!"

The python might be the way for me to go though, because I see a lot of 5+ gallon changes coming daily for about the next month! :scrambleup:

Lmao(penis pump). I couldn't live with my WC. I just got my test from amazon for 18.00! They ship pretty fast too.

Back
Top Bottom