Filter recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have an aquaclear 50 on a 10g tank and its not overkill. the more filtration the better :)

Totally agree.

I was going to buy the Penguin 150 (rated for up to 30g), but went with the 200 instead (rated for up to 50g). I plan on keeping my 29g FW tank stocked to the max. bio-load and dont think Ill ever have to worry about "over filtration" :cool:

BTW, update to this thread:
The Penguin 200 has been up and running since last Sunday (the day I created this thread).. water has been very clear, when I vacuum old food off the gravel and it stirs the tank up a little, I open the mid-level strainer thing, and it does a great job and catching anything the vacuum misses.

The bio-wheel isnt spinning as fast as it was last Sunday, and I have nitrItes now, so I imagine the bio-wheel is saturated with water and (hopefully) starting with bacteria. I know on my last bio-wheel filter on my late 55g, the wheel spun very erratically, stopping for 20-30 seconds, spinning once, and so on. So Im pretty far from that right now... its spinning so fast that it whips and splashes water all over the place when the shield isnt on.

One complaint on the new "mid level strainer" on the new penguins:
When I did a water change yday (30%ish), the water level fell below the strainer (which was closed at the time), and it started sucking air and the filter lost prime. :( Once I put enough water back in, it started back on its own. Annoying though, especially during big water changes.

I had an issue with my Biowheel not spinning and I thought there was not enough flow so I changed the filter media and cleaned out the intake with not improvement. I was about to give up when I wiped the blades on the Biowheel with my fingers and it started to spin. I guess due to my hard water the fins might have had some calcium build up causing the wheel to become off balanced. This will cause it to spin irregularly or stop altogether.

I had an issue with my Biowheel not spinning and I thought there was not enough flow so I changed the filter media and cleaned out the intake with not improvement. I was about to give up when I wiped the blades on the Biowheel with my fingers and it started to spin. I guess due to my hard water the fins might have had some calcium build up causing the wheel to become off balanced. This will cause it to spin irregularly or stop altogether.

It does say in the manual that its ok if it doesnt spin fast, or in a regular manner.

martiniduck, No an Aquaclear 70 wouldn't be overkill on that tank. The nice thing about all of the Aquaclear filters is they have a variable setting that can cut the flow to about 1/4-1/3 of the overall power. So if you get it and find the flow is too much for the tank you can simply change the setting but still get all the benefits of a large filter.

Back
Top Bottom