Filter suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lmw80

Aquarium Advice Addict
Been looking at canister filters for the 110 gallon. Going to be a fowlr. Anyone have any suggestions on which one, or if you don't think I shold have a canister filter at all...

Thanks.

nothing wrong with a canister filter, so many people on this forum has sumps, great thing to have really, but they are costly and they take up room.
I have a reef tank and use a caniser and a top wet and dry works on the same method a canister does. I say go the caniser.

how big is the tank?

Lori, I assume you know that 1.5+ lbs of lr per gal in the tank, good circulation, and a quality skimmer will provide the necessary biological filtration.

I use the Magnum 350 canister for water circulation and occasional use of filter media like Chemi-Pure. If not using filter media I keep it empty to keep waste from building up and kicking up my no3 levels. I’ve use the Magnum canisters for 10+ years now and love how quite/powerful/reliable they are. The Micron Cartridge is great for clearing up a cloudy tank also.

Since this is a wall tank I assume you are going to be placing the intake/output hoses on the sides. If so I’d have the intake on one side and the output on the other.

You still will need additional circulation and for that I’d get two Seio M820 Pumps also placed on each end. Total would give you about an 18 times turnover on your 110 gal tank.

An overflow and sump could be used instead and would provide more water volume and a place to store your skimmer/heater but would be a little more difficult to incorporate into a wall. Often sumps have trays to add filter media so it acts the same as a canister.

tecwzrd - I did not know that! Oh my gosh I have so much learning to do for saltwater.

It's called the Berlin method of filtration and has been used for decades in SW tanks. The main advantage is that all the biological filtration is within the tank where clean up crews can maintain excess waste which gets trapped using traditional wet/dry or canister systems.

That’s why I run my canister empty so waste gets blown back into the tank and doesn’t get trapped within the canister which just breaks down and rises my no3 level.

If properly stocked with a good clean up crew of shrimp/snails/hermits it is virtually maintenance free and you only have to keep up the ca/alk/ph levels and perform the usual 10%-15% pwc each week or every other week to export nutrients/add essential elements.

That’s why I run my canister empty so waste gets blown back into the tank and doesn’t get trapped within the canister which just breaks down and rises my no3 level.

How empty? As in no sponges/media? Do you have LR in it? Do you just use it for water movement?
I would love to take out my media and use LR rubble in my canister filter....

I used to keep lr rubble in it but even that would trap waste and need to be cleaned periodically so I run completely empty now. (I have 90 lbs of rock in the 55) No sponges/filter sleeve, only the plastic top piece and plastic pipe that runs down the center. Not that I’m against lr rubble in a canister but if you have enough rock in the tank then I can’t see the point of adding it since waste can still accumulate and there isn’t a clean up crew to help break it down in the canister.

I do have lr rubble in the sump but I have a pre-filter on my overflow that I rinse every couple of days so waste doesn’t get trapped down there.

When I have a bio-wheel running on the tank so I can transfer it to the QT as needed for instant filtration I keep a sponge filter on the intake and rinse about 2-3 times a week in old SW to keep the spray bar clean and to keep waste from building up on the sponge filter. At least any food that gets on the sponge filter can be gotten to by the shrimp/hermits which is the first place they go when I feed. Quite a site watching 3+ shrimp jockeying for space on the small sponge picking at it :lol:

Right now I’m running without the bio-wheel or spray bar so I can literally see food getting sucked in and blown back out into the tank.

I was pretty diligent about keeping it clean weekly when I had filter media in it and did 20% pwc weekly to keep my no3 below 5 ppm but now I only have to clean the canister about once every other month and do 10% pwc a week to keep my no3 the same level.

Back
Top Bottom