Finally - 40 Breeder Reef Journal/Build Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Alrighty, so I have pretty much decided what I'm getting next week-

Reefkeeper Elite Plus
Current Nova Extreme Pro - 6x39w
Red Sea Coral Pro Salt

I've looked long and hard in to both the RKE and the Apex. I actually got lucky and found a guy who has both. After looking at them, and talking with him, my suspicions were confirmed. The Apex may do more, but it's not as user friendly. For someone who knows code, or may be in the IT field, sure, it might be easier... but for someone like me who likes visuals, the RKE seems to be the better choice.

My desire to keep mostly SPS has led me to two paths. LED's vs T5HO. I could just get another 2x T5HO and have 6x, and it would be a lot cheaper, but the NEP is on sale at Marine Depot for $300 shipped, it's fan cooled, and has a good name. I think that would open me up to a lot that I don't currently have, even though my millepora frags are doing great so far.

I'm just tossing in a bucket of salt since it's on sale too, and I'm about half empty on my current bucket. Obviously, it'll last me longer next time, as I had to fill my tank, and add another 20 for my refugium, plus the water changes I've done more frequently than I probably need to.

Nice shopping list. :-D I think you'll be very happy with the RKE, I know i am. lol

I also have a nova extreme pro and the only thing that isnt great about it is there are no moonlights. But otherwise my NEP has been excellent.

My lights don't have moonlights either... well, they didn't come with them. I have a little moonlight strip that I got from fort on a fixture he sold me a while back... I just superglued it on... I should be able to do the same with the NEP. How do the NEP cords work? Does one turn on 2, the other turn on 4?

I've already got bulbs! I have two blue plus, two aquablue specials, a coral plus, and a purple plus. I'll probably end up going to mostly coral plus, if not completely. I love the color, and the spectrum appears to be pretty much identical to the aquablue special and purple plus.

Sweet. Actually I just went and looked at that fixture, and I guess it comes with bulb? That's sweet I didn't think it did. So what all you plan on doing with the rke?

ATO, Temp, pH, lights, salinity (eventually). Also, I'll probably link in another tank once I get some experience with this one. I don't think I'll set another tank up for a while, but once I do, I'll just buy more modules and control it too.

Ok, then an RKL isn't even an option. I need 12 plugs.

-Skimmer
-Return
-ATO pump
-Reactor Pump

-Lights
-Lights
-Moonlights
-Refugium Light

-MP10
-ATO Reservoir Powerhead
-Mixing Tank Powerhead
-Stand Light

I also plan to have the salinity probe, and I've been considering putting a float switch in my ATO reservoir to light up an indicator light when it gets to a certain point to remind me to top it off. Since I'll be running dual float switches in my sump, I'll need one module for that, then another module for the reservoir switch. That would mean another PC4 as well.... but would allow me some more options for timing and stuff if I went that route.

I don't know all that stuff is just overkill for me. I have plenty of timers around for lights, I'm not worried about my skimmer overflowing, and an overflow is very unlikely.

That's not really why... I have to turn my skimmer off when I kill my return pump because it'll overflow if I don't. So, I'm going to have one module with my return pump, skimmer, ato, and reactor pump so I can just switch that whole module off when I need to turn the system off. I can also have the skimmer shut off when I feed, not that I plan to, but I know some people do that. The lights will all be controlled by the controller so that I can do dusk/dawn and moonlights without having 3 separate timers. It's going to really help with my cord management, as I have everything on a 4' powerbar behind the tank now and have to unplug things individually. I'm also planning on purchasing a battery backup for my MP10 in the event of a power outage. I have to Optima Deep Cycle batteries and a big inverter if I ever need them, but people average 48+ hours running their MP10 on a battery backup, and I can use the trolling batteries for other essential items like a heater, and lighting if I really need to (extended outage). Just thinking ahead. And I agree, it's not necessary... but it is really cool and will give me a lot of peace of mind when I'm away. Especially if I decide on the net module.

Oh and the float switch thing. You could run the float switches in series then it would only take up one port. But if you plan on getting the sl1 and sl2 you'll have enough anyways.

I would do that, but I don't want to go buy a bunch of GFCI outlets and risk running everything through powerstrips that I have seen fail several times. I refuse to hook anything up to my tank that isn't on a GFCI.

How do your powerstrips fail? Do u use gfci powerstrips? I userstand the concern, but if you outlet is gfci then u don't really need the strip to be. I've actually never seen a gfci strip, but I've never looked and I'm sure they make em. The rk4 isn't gfci.

No, I have GFCI plugs, but I'd need several to put things on power strips... and I've seen power strips melt down. I'm not an electrician, but I'd be concerned putting my return pump and skimmer on a powerstrip together after seeing how tiny the connections are inside one. The power bar I have has heavy duty (8 gauge I think) wire and is designed for use in a shop with heavy draw equipment. If you haven't figured it out yet, I tend to over think things and I never settle for 'it'll do'.

Back
Top Bottom