First aquarium help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trOPPO

Aquarium Advice Newbie
This is my first aquarium any suggestions of what I should do and where I should go from here please help.... I currently have baby guppies

Did you fully cycle it before you put fish in?

I've had them for about 2 weeks in the tank... 4 guppies 2 bristlenose catfish, 2 albino catfish,4 tetra and 1 random species.... I'm running 2 filters.. 1 of which has activated charcoal.

My main problem is I get alot of (fluffy mist) looking growth on surfaces and on plastic plants. And the water sometimes goes a milky colour

The fluffy stuff might indicate there isn't enough flow in the tank and the filters are clogged or just a bit too low powered for the tank.

It also means you should get some more flow and check the filters.

Activated carbon/charcoal will be funtional for around 1 week to 10 days then it is not doing it's job. It absorbs tints of the water medications, etc. Not usually needed for simply running your tank, more for specific issues.

Check out my signature link it has a extremely useful article about getting started with all things to run a tank.

One of the most important things is to not change the filter media and not rinse it in chlorinated tap water because you are going to need to cycle the filter / "tank" so that beneficial bacteria aka BB, colonize and grow in the filter padding to break down ammonia and waste. The untreated tap water contains the chlorine which kills bacteria like BBThe article will tell you about the nitrification cycle.

Also you are probably over stocked on fish and likely feeding too much and not changing the water often enough.

What size is the tank?

Baby fish do better with frequent tiny feedings and plenty of water changes. one for to keep the water quality good and 2 to remove possible hormones the adults, and babies can release as they grow up.

There is a bunch to read up on.

You are now doing a "fish in" cycle because it is growing the bacteria with the fish in the tank. This means there will be a need for many extra water changes to keep the water parameters safe for your fish family.

A lot to take in. Haha.... So my tank is 50L and the main filter I am running is for a 55L tank and I am running a smaller filter too so I am pretty sure the flow is pretty decent... The filters are at opposite ends of the tank but are not facing their flow in direct position of each other. If that makes sense.

To check how overstocked your tank is, you can go to aqadvisor.com and check. Also what is the "random species" you mentioned?

To check how overstocked your tank is, you can go to aqadvisor.com and check. Also what is the "random species" you mentioned?

Thanks for the lead. That's a great site and calculator tool.
I just ran my fish from my community aquarium through it and I'm ultimately going to turn the heater down 3 degrees Celsius over the next few weeks. Good numbers I got 85% fish fill and 140% filtration. Hope it's tryst worthy.

Back
Top Bottom