First blue ram :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
it's a male, the black dot is "washed out" which only happens to the males were as the females have blue speckles in there black dots

Definitely agree. Also his anal fins have that black strip, which is indicative of a male, as well as the round shape of his forehead. Yay! Congratulations, it's a boy!! Hahaha

Skyla, I want to agree with the above the only thing that keeping my from 100% is body shape. Which could just age. And I'm literally at my tank comparing pics vs. my guys. Lol I'm going to add two pics of my males. They are really different in coloring. But it will give a base to go from. The first is IMO a true ram in color. The second I think there may have been some mix in line. Look at the rounder bodies. Again it could be Marley's age.

image-325036335.jpg

image-1488518325.jpg

This third isn't as good a shot but its them doing a stare down. So you can get a look at flared fins of the male. To see shape.

image-2273457321.jpg

The true test to see Marley's color would be to add another ram! :p He would color up pretty quick then I think.

Hope this will help.

Last edited:
Ok thanks everyone :) I'd love to add another ram but don't have the room just yet. I'll try and get z video of Marley and post it up. In the picks the black dot doesn't look like it has blue flecks in it but it looks like it does to me when I'm watching him. I want to be certain I get a male female pair when the time and space is right.

I can't wait too get another one and have a pair. So by the video are you all still pretty positive Marleys a boy ? :) he does look like he has the blue specks like a female would in the black spot when he's near the light ,you can see what I mean in the vid. I recently lost my to sparkling gouramis for a completely unknown reason it's got me stumped :/ so once I'm certain on Marleys sex ill look for a mate.

I would ask the Lfs if you get one and its the wrong sex. Can you exchange it. The best way for you to tell would be to put another ram in the tank. I'v watched the vid like three times and I'm still iffy.

I would ask the Lfs if you get one and its the wrong sex. Can you exchange it. The best way for you to tell would be to put another ram in the tank. I'v watched the vid like three times and I'm still iffy.

Hmm I could ask I just don't want to get attached and then have to bring it back. If you had to make a guess would you still go male?

Hmm I could ask I just don't want to get attached and then have to bring it back. If you had to make a guess would you still go male?

Honestly, no. The shape to me looks female and the spot has blue scales almost all the way around the inside of the border(inside the black). It just makes me think female. The problem is he/she isn't colored up enough to tell really. But like I said before he/she could just be young and it's throwing me off.

I'm really sorry. I wish I could be more help to you in this.

When you go the the fish store you want to look for a large ram that has claimed a "spot in the tank" and challenges others that gets close to that spot. That's going to be a male. If you see a smaller one around with anything remotely like a pink belly that's most likely a female. Then think about your like guy at home and compare them. I know its hard not having them side by side but its your best bet. you may have to stare at them for a few mins :popcorn:

phishfriend said:
Honestly, no. The shape to me looks female and the spot has blue scales almost all the way around the inside of the border(inside the black). It just makes me think female. The problem is he/she isn't colored up enough to tell really. But like I said before he/she could just be young and it's throwing me off.

I'm really sorry. I wish I could be more help to you in this.

When you go the the fish store you want to look for a large ram that has claimed a "spot in the tank" and challenges others that gets close to that spot. That's going to be a male. If you see a smaller one around with anything remotely like a pink belly that's most likely a female. Then think about your like guy at home and compare them. I know its hard not having them side by side but its your best bet. you may have to stare at them for a few mins :popcorn:

Ok I'm going to go today and have a look :) you've been a great help thanks! Ill probably get one if I find what looks to be the male then. Yeah what's confusing me is that Marley has the features of a female but doesn't show the pink belly that.

Ok I'm going to go today and have a look :) you've been a great help thanks! Ill probably get one if I find what looks to be the male then. Yeah what's confusing me is that Marley has the features of a female but doesn't show the pink belly that.

From what I've looked into they only show a little pink in the belly unless they're ready to spawn, then it's very visible

From what I've looked into they only show a little pink in the belly unless they're ready to spawn, then it's very visible

agreed. I have a female who can oasis for a male because she doesn't really show her pink belly even though she is mature enough for it.

the main thing I look at if they dont show their belly is the black spot. I could see it very well on my phone but if it at all has any blue specs then it's a female

agreed. I have a female who can oasis for a male because she doesn't really show her pink belly even though she is mature enough for it.

the main thing I look at if they dont show their belly is the black spot. I could see it very well on my phone but if it at all has any blue specs then it's a female

Agreed, it does. The fact that it's not coloring up makes me think female also. Im thinking the second a male is put in the tank she will at the least color up some to show she's a female and not a threat.

So I went to the fish shop and watched the rams for ages and got the feisty one that seemed to be chasing the others and looked like it had a really dark spot that I couldn't see any blue specks in. It's in the tank now and I'm still at a loss they look too similar now I have them together (-_-) but the new ones stripe across the eye is a lot darker. There has been no fighting yet but it's only afternoon one! Marleys just curiouser and following it about everywhere and their hanging about together now. I guess I'm going to have to wait and see now. What are some of the behavioural traits I should look out for that will let me know if I have a pair or not? And if they are both female or both males how do they usually react to each other? Will females be ok together and males not?

Back
Top Bottom