first large tank(questions)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

whitetiger_CJ

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am going to be getting a 55 gal aquarium, the next largest aquarium I have kept is a 20 gal. I know that under gravel filters will not work(I am going to use a sand substrate). Is the top fin 60 enough filtration, and if not what is the best way to filter? Also, If I were to set up a sump, what tank size would i need for the sump, and what is the best way of going about setting it up? one last question, and I will be done. I was planning on pool filter sand. I will have live plants in the tank, will I still have to stir the sand? the fish I will be keeping in it will eat anything small, so the snails will not work. The tank is going to be an african Biotope.
sorry for all the questions. just want to make sure I will be doing this right. after 12yrs of fish keeping you'd think I would know enough, but I guess not 8)
Thanks in advance

I try to use the biggest filter I can without pinning the fish aginst the glass. I have had good luck with the 330 biowheel by marineland. It uses two filters so you can clean them on a alternating schedule and has twin baskets for other media. :D

Everything I've heard would suggest that you get a filter which does not disturb the surface if you plan on keeping live plants. That's mostly cannister filters (although I've been using an internal Fluval 400plus and it's been working well in my 46g).

can't really comment on other questions.

You have lots of options depending on your budget for filtration.Heres what works for me 1 eheim 2217 and an Aquaclear 300 at oppisite ends of the tank-Anne

Works well on all my bichir tanks

another vote for the canister route. they are easy to use and everything is hidden under the tank. Only the inlet and outlet pipes in tank.

Canisters would probably be ideal for a planted tank, but I'm on a tight budget so I use an Emperor 280 and an Emperor 400 on my 55 gallon. If you are keeping low light plants like I do it won't matter, but if not I'm sure black udder and mazdaman are right about the canister. It sounds like you will be keeping African cichilds (cool!) so you will probably want to "overfilter" your tank like I did, as cichlids are very messy fish. If you are keeping Africans they may eat all your plants. You could try PM-ing travis simonson for advice about planted tanks and Africans- he's had the best luck with this combo of anyone I've ever seen and his tank is amazing.

Hm, I only have an emperor 400 and a marineland corner filter in my 75 gal. Do you guys think it's enough filtration? I have another emperor 400 if I need it.

If I were to set up a sump, what tank size would i need for the sump
It is generally recommended that the sump volume be at least 1/3rd tank volume. You'll need the extra space for water return should you lose power to the return pump.
and what is the best way of going about setting it up?
FWIW, here's how I built mine. Hardest part imo is deciding on overflow or drilling the main tank. There are high GPH designs in the DIY and SW archives. For FW sumps, suggest you narrow searches to jsoong as his posts are very informative.

HTH

I'd got the canister route. Look for Rena Filstar XP2's on the net. Should be about $70. Eheim's are nice, but Rena is a great filter too and half teh price.

Thank for the help, and I won't be keeping cichlids, It will be bichers and Ctenopoma. I think I will try to find a god canister. It sounds like the best route.

RoK said:
Hm, I only have an emperor 400 and a marineland corner filter in my 75 gal. Do you guys think it's enough filtration? I have another emperor 400 if I need it.
Can anyone answer my question please? :(

I would also go with a canister filter.
Ha, and I know what you mean when you said
after 12yrs of fish keeping you'd think I would know enough, but I guess not
I work at a fish store and I tell people how to set up their fish tanks everyday, but when I buy a tank I all of a sudden have no idea what to do! 8O :(

Back
Top Bottom