Fish are inactive

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
search end of tank dump.TPT has a butt load of threads on it..
I would go back to store and see if their remaining tigers are well?
I am not convinced it is co2 or fert related..Fish could just be sick?
I will add when fish die, all water test are good and you see no symptom of illness that I would quickly add a large amount of carbon to the filter.
There are no test for any toxins that may have entered tank .
I had an issue like this years back with a new set up tank.
Killed two pretty simple fish in days. All test were good?
Ran carbon for 1 week and placed third identical fish and it lived as did all others afterward .Who knows what was in the water?

2nd one just died... 2 left... so i cant keep fish alive and my plants dont seem to be ok... i have the co2, 2 finex planted plus, dosing GLA micros and macros minus kno3... ammonia is 0 nitrite is 0 nitrate is about 20 and ph is 7.4 or so... i literally cant find anything wrong

Maybe my dechlorination method? I have the 25ft water changer so its a hose from the kitchen faucet and i just add a little here and there as the tank refills...

So its either
1. Parasite
2. Excessive CO2
3. Dechlorination process (chlorine somehow affecting fish)
4. Some other toxin in the water

Other 2 are dead... no fish again.... not sure whats goin on... one was just floating around the tank with the current

hi
i'm not as experienced as anyone else that has been replying - but reading through this it really reminded me of something that happened to another one of dad's tanks back in 2001

he was quite unlucky really, as the year after that was the year of the horrible coumnaris episode!

anyway long story short - we found a lovely bit of freshwater driftwood in a local stream. boiled it, and soaked it. after adding to tank pH and everything was stable, no colour change - but all but two fish died. just went sluggish adn showed signs of wanting oxygen.

he put carbon in filter and took out wood and the remaining 2 fish (a cherry barb and a tetra - cant remember what kind) lived he thought it was pollution from the stream that had soaked into the driftwood. we lived downstream of a really industrial area though so it probably could have been predicted. The main thing that reminds me is that it killed all the moss in the tank too whatever it was.

was your driftwood salvage or purchased? im probably wrong and this is just anecdotal - but something to think of i guess.

really sorry about the outcome for your barbs it sounds like this tank's had a lot of heart and soul (and cash!)

i just googled that river and it looks like it should be a lovely clean one not contaminated with industrial drainage or pesticide/herbicide contaminated run off :/
there are some poisonous trees locally (im a keen gardener) msotly softwoods (so if you dug your fingernail in you could leave an indent) but i have no idea about where you are.

this is probably a complete wild goose chase though i've been told what happened to us is unusual

I have been suspicious of the wood since the first 4 tiger barbs died... my numbers are all in spec... not sure what to do... if i remove this awesome piece of wood, im going to buy something like manzanita... but id hate to put money into a 2 or 3 foot piece and it not solve the problem

While its certainly possible for the wood to be contaminated. Id say it highly unlikely. Problem is there is no way for average aquarist to know. The slime on the wood you had was normal. I know for myself and many others I've never had a store bought piece of wood. Not thats theres anything wrong with it. I just enjoy finding a piece I like.

While its certainly possible for the wood to be contaminated. Id say it highly unlikely. Problem is there is no way for average aquarist to know. The slime on the wood you had was normal. I know for myself and many others I've never had a store bought piece of wood. Not thats theres anything wrong with it. I just enjoy finding a piece I like.

yeah i've got some disgusting looking slime on my shop bought wood - but its not killing anything *phew* and yes the shrimp do eat it (not quick enough for my liking though!)

Attachments

• image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 14
Sugars and starches leech in certain woods causing the film.

I simply suspect the wood because its the most "variable" thing in my tank... the ammonia is 0, nitrite 0, nitrate go between 20 and 30 depending on how recent wc was... ph is 7.4 or so... im not sure what else to think

Back
Top Bottom