Fish are inactive

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
While its certainly possible for the wood to be contaminated. Id say it highly unlikely.

exactly - whilst we had something happen i've been told by numerous v. experienced people its definitely unusual plus a little research would have told us that waterway was contaminated.

It's like all those annoying medical school clichés - "common things are common" and "if you hear hoofbeats don't presume zebras" - just a potentially relevant anecdote i guess

NOT saying im right!!!! But if your not familiar with osmotic shock and your bored research it. Interesting stuff. We talk about alot of things but rarely this.

so for example the osmoregulatory shock can be even if pH and nitrate and temp all the same if the GH/KH is different to where they came from they can suffer?

if so interesting - i've never asked about KH/GH when enquiring after water parameters they were kept it at the LFS when buying a fish :eek: I just research what they need :/

I read an article and it is VERY POSSIBLE.... but how do i prevent this? If i lower my fert doses, wont my plants suffer at that point? Ive read several articles that suggested planting the tank before fish are introduced, which means ferts and co2.... so what am i to do? My acclimation process is:
Place the fish in a large cup filled with the bag/store water. Every 5 minutes, add a couple ounces of tank water until the cup fills. This is usually a 45 to 60 min period.

so for example the osmoregulatory shock can be even if pH and nitrate and temp all the same if the GH/KH is different to where they came from they can suffer?

if so interesting - i've never asked about KH/GH when enquiring after water parameters when buying a fish :eek:
I doubt you would get an answer lol. But what about tds vs osmotic shock. A few say it does not matter I do not agree. I think if it relatively close your probably ok. But most have no idea what theres is. Obviously certain species would be tougher than others.

I read an article and it is VERY POSSIBLE.... but how do i prevent this? If i lower my fert doses, wont my plants suffer at that point? Ive read several articles that suggested planting the tank before fish are introduced, which means ferts and co2.... so what am i to do? My acclimation process is:
Place the fish in a large cup filled with the bag/store water. Every 5 minutes, add a couple ounces of tank water until the cup fills. This is usually a 45 to 60 min period.
Thats great that similar to how I do it. Except...if the tds between your tank and the water your new fish is in is drastically different that 45-60 min drip may need to be 2 hrs. Not uncommon with even low tds tanks vs sensitive new stock. Im researching this for past week myself.

So i may, after i "Fe" out my plants and see how they are doing, have to increase my acclimation period.

Cant say. I know a tds meter is 15 bucks I know that osmotic shock is real. I know its a tool that seems to have scientific data showing it has merit. How important is it in the big picture that's what im researching

IMO just running carbon in good amount will solve this problem.
If all the test are good then there is a toxin in the water.
There are no test that will tell you that you have X in your water to help you believe it ,but dead fish would be where I would point.
TDS is interesting. Without knowing what OPs TDS is, it is not the problem here IMO.
Soft water fish can live 'easier ' in hard water then hard water fish in soft.
Barbs aren't a 'hard 'water fish so IMO TDS is not the issue.
It is a great tool to have especially if you make your own water for breeding.
But for testing water in the aquarium??? You would need to understand a whole bunch.
KH only holds pH stable and has no effect beyond that with fish.
GH is the difference between hard and soft water and the more important test IMO.

So if i run carbon, i have 2 questions...

1. Will this affect my plants in regards to the ferts?
2. What if these "toxins" leach for years to come? How long should i run carbon?

You are killing fish,I really don't care about the plants,they can't be far behind with out some remedy? If it leaches for years nothing will work.
We don't know what it is!
You don't have to run carbon. I am just trying to tell you what I would do if it was one of my 40+ aquariums, but maybe you should just try different fish, or test your TDS...
There is a sensible approach where you logically eliminate suspects ,or you can whirl in every direction at once?
I think there is something in your water?
Has anything lived in it yet?

Step back a second and lets lose hostility... im simply asking questions, not trying to question or undermine your expertise... the more i know, the better my approach. I will stop dosin ferts, fill the filters with carbon and give it a while. Then we can see if a couple fish will be ok. I had 4 tiger barbs die within 2 days, then a week later 4 more died within 3 days.

I breed fish .I don't keep planted tanks but have plants in every tank.
Fish dying that fast with no disease say' poison' in water.
Is it possible aerosol spray or house hold cleaners could have gotten in? Does the tank have a lid?
You should at least call the fish store and ask if they got a bad batch of tigers, it happens and some shops will even admit it.
The carbon is the cheapest easiest quickest thing to do first. That is my point. After that if fish still die the testing and diagnosing will either be exhaustive or hit and miss?

Back
Top Bottom