Fish drowning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Have you tested for dissolved oxygen? What method did you use, just out of interest? Titration or optical?

Lots of bubbles does not make a high DO%, lots of bubbles is good for increased surface agitation. (Dead spot cures)

The type of bubble is important as well as bubble/water contact time.

No I have not tested and nor is there a need for it. None of my fish gasp at the surface ever other then when my Cories come up to the surface. They typically only stay at the top for a while right after feeding time or a waterchange. I'm assuming that is to do with the feed raising their metabolism and producing energy so they are more active And after the pwc if I add a little bit of colder water back in.

An exceptionally peaceful fish and great community fish. Peppered corys come in two forms, the normal coloured and an albino form, they are one of the most reliably peaceful and hardy community fish available. They should be kept in a group of at least five individuals. Unfortunately they are often sold as fish which help to keep the tank clean. This is not the case, they will however eat all the food which lands on the floor of the aquarium which might otherwise have been overlooked by the other fish. Like all other corydoras they need easy access to the water surface where they will visit every few minutes to take a gulp of air. If they are prevented from doing this they will drown because they cannot obtain enough oxygen through their gills alone.

You said it was normal for them and needed so why now do you think I have low oxygen because my Cories visit the surface?

If I had an oxygen issue my fish would show me every morning as my plants would eat the o2 at night. That is what plants do at night. I'm sure you know that. They can't complete photosynthesis without the light so they just breath in the oxygen.

Interesting as I for sure do not have insufficient oxygen levels in my tank. Two sponges ran by two different airpumps and my ehiem is pointed up to the point it comes out and falls back in after the first day of evaporation.

No I have not tested and nor is there a need for it.

You say this. How can you be sure? I'm not falling into argument with yet another character.

At which point did I say you have insufficient oxygen on your tank?

You say this. How can you be sure? I'm not falling into argument with yet another character.

At which point did I say you have insufficient oxygen on your tank?

I am sure because I know what happens in a planted aquarium at night with low oxygen.
Also with your last post it was hinting pretty heavily towards me not having enough oxygen.

Another fight? Why do you keep getting into arguments with people?

I don't know? It's what happens I guess? Normal life. Try reading you will see it's aimed more at the op who appears to have disappeared, the oxygen conversation was taking place, that's my input.

You asked me a question then got defensive with my response?
If what I know is offensive, what can I do?

No bother any how(y)

You asked me a question then got defensive with my response?
If what I know is offensive, what can I do?

No bother any how(y)

But see I know that is not an issue with my aquarium and for some reason you seem to think it is. I use to have it as an issue when I originally started planting my tank but totally forgot that plants take in the oxygen at night. I lost 5 wild rummynose and my male Gbr. I started thinking every morning I had a dead fish and thought how could this have happened just over night. Looked at what I added and bam. Added an airstone and didn't have anymore dying fish in the morning. My discus have no rapid or deep breathing, and do not gasp at the surface. I've obviously added another airpump and raised my outlet bar for the ehiem before I put my discus in as a precaution to make sure the issue wouldn't arise again.
Beside this issue usually comes from overcrowding, insufficient aeration, removal of oxygen by by potassiumor low saturation levels due to high temps,

Dis you read the post you said in response to mine you kept telling me to test my do% and asking me how I tested it. to me, that is saying I have an issue with my dissolved oxygen levels. Every time I said there isn't a problem because I can tell by looking you say how do you know for sure and etc. I know what I'm looking for that's why!

No test=no idea

Simple as that. Yes you guess your current stock is not struggling but you do not know.

I have offered some of my research into the mix, separated in the normal way by paragraphing. Indicators suggested to you seem to have sparked a fuse in your mind, this is not my fault.

The alternative, I write three or four posts at a time to avoid confusion?

I asked you if you tested and by which method, that is all. At no point did I suggest your oxygen levels are less than adequate, that is something you personally have an issue with, not me. I also say that I am looking into DO testing. I have presented nothing but facts and have at no point made any accusation to any person involved with this thread.

READ THE POST, HAVE YOU TESTED? Not go and test or why haven't you tested, it was an enquiry. I can't find a reference where I state, you have insufficient DO or go and test your DO. The question is the same as what is the time or what day is it. Simple enquiry.

You have indicators that suggest things are ok. I have indicators that suggest things are ok. Most of the people with a tank full of fish have indicators that suggest things are ok.

I want to know, what is better, how can it be improved, what is the best test method (cost/test/time/accuracy) , this has nothing to do with your system?

So why do you have this issue?

I'm pretty sure my discus would show if they were struggling. At all and if during the day I had low dissolved oxygen my fish would die at night. Simple as that. Do you know what happens at night in a planted tank?

Also if things were just ok they wouldn't be growing and thriving granted the purchased stunted ones from lfs's that treat discus the same with one or two feedings a day and a 30% once a week. I gave away 43 echin. Vesuvius two weeks ago have 36 more offsprings rooted in pots and 21 on more shoots/ runners. Some from the mother plant and others from the babies. My 1.5 inch discus is now close to 3 inches. If things were ok only his eye would be growing showing he is stunted.

Just going to jump in here to say i completely agree with J.Mcpeak, this should have not become an argument especially of this magnitude. Everyone just take each others advice and listen well... Oh yeah, and keep on fish keeping!

Just going to jump in here to say i completely agree with J.Mcpeak, this should have not become an argument especially of this magnitude. Everyone just take each others advice and listen well... Oh yeah, and keep on fish keeping!

(y)

That's what I thought! Is it an argument or a raw nerve? I've explained myself several times but am bombarded with a number of facts pertaining to a system or systems of which I know nothing about.

Vesuvius? Isn't that a volcano?

Fish keeping, can't give it up, not now!(y)

:taped: :drain:

:snipersmile: :bawl:

WHAT!

:invasion:

Yes, what happens at night in a tank, it gets dark!

And your plants do what? Eat the oxygen which if I had low oxygen issues I would see it when the light came on in the morning.

Ok I've said there was nothing wrong with my do% and you've kept asking my how I know that. I say how I know and you keep saying that's not a test or you haven't tested it which to me is hinting that you think I have an issue.

I'm sorry if that's not what you were hinting at and saying you never said i had that, You just kept asking me how i know for sure. i do apologize. Maybe though you said say in your original post. Not saying you have this. But how exactly do you know you can't have a low dissolved oxygen percentage. If you haven't tested it you can't no for sure.
Of course though in a planted tank it's pretty obvious at night.
Anyways this thread is way off topic and has been hijacked for sure. I do apologize to the op.

Read post 28. (Plants)
I asked once about DO test. I made a query in the same post regarding method, that's two different questions relating to the same topic. Post 48.

You got on a vibe about it.:cool:

Yes, off topic.

Apologise? Don't, no need.
(It has a comical aspect):D

Read post 28. (Plants)
I asked once about DO test. I made a query in the same post regarding method, that's two different questions relating to the same topic. Post 48.

Yes, off topic.

"Comical aspect", now isn't that the truth! :dance::ROFLMAO::lol: Lets all just drop it so the OP doesn't fall over from this argumentative chitter chatter!

Read post 28. (Plants)

Yes, off topic.

The best part is your post 28 is agreeing I have no oxygen issue so why test it? But I'm over this my fish show they are happy.

Back
Top Bottom