Fish ID Please!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Male:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1410709111.510647.jpg

Female:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1410709133.589577.jpg

A 15-20L would be fine for grow out but Cryptoheros can have a mean streak about them. I'd suggest a 30 long/breeder or a 40B for long term keeping of an adult pair. Simply so the female has room to escape the aggression of the male.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks for the advice moburaku. I've just got the male at the moment in a 29g with a few other fish. He's growing pretty quick. I think when I get a female ill move the others out and keep the pair in there. Do ya think that will be big enough? Also, quick question. When I get my female, will I need to get more than one for him to choose one to pair off with?

One day at a time

The 29 could be iffy, something longer or deeper would be best. Ideally you buy 6-8 fish and let them grow up together and pair off. Since you already have a larger male I'd buy 2-3 females as close to his size as possible then wait for him to choose one and quickly remove the others.

I agree that Sajica, particularly the male can be brutal and need to be watched closely in most circumstances, particularly breeding.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

The 29 could be iffy, something longer or deeper would be best. Ideally you buy 6-8 fish and let them grow up together and pair off. Since you already have a larger male I'd buy 2-3 females as close to his size as possible then wait for him to choose one and quickly remove the others.

Hi guys. Bit of advice needed if possible. I'm struggling to get any females around the size of my male. The ones I can get are around the 1" mark and I'm not sure if you can sex them that small, they all seem to have a red tint to them. I'm thinking of getting 3-4 to put in a 15g I've set up to grow out. I don't really want any of these to pair up because my male will be from a different bloodline and his colours and markings are looking really nice. Do I add the male to the ones I am growing out or keep them seperate till they have grown and remove the males from the females when I can determine sex?
Thanks in advance

One day at a time

Back
Top Bottom