Fish ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

palechek13

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I have this 36 gallon bow front with a African brown knife fish, 3 agassizi Cory cats, and a redtail shark. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas to add to my tank. I'm looking for more of a schooling fish but really any ideas are cool! Please help me thank you!

I hate to break it to you, but it likely you will have a disaster with that stock matching. The Knife will eventually swollow a cory, correction, get a cory lodged in it's throat and that will be that. Depending on the size of the Shark and the Knife, the Shark may be first. You have two very aggressive bottom carnivores and armered cat fish. The Knife and the Shark need at least a 55gal and that is not putting them together.

I'd suggest deciding which of the current fish you want to keep and go from there.

I'm glad you told this to me. We'll I'm gonna put the Cory cats in my 29 gallon (2 angels, 5 dwarf gouramis) and I'll take the red tail back. Now having only the knife fish in there what fish would you recommend? Right now he's only about 5 inches long and also I will be upgrading when he gets to big for this tank.

I was told any cat fish breed and any shark would really work coming from a local fish store that I bought the knife from.

I'm glad you told this to me. We'll I'm gonna put the Cory cats in my 29 gallon (2 angels, 5 dwarf gouramis) and I'll take the red tail back. Now having only the knife fish in there what fish would you recommend? Right now he's only about 5 inches long and also I will be upgrading when he gets to big for this tank.

Most of those dwarf gouramis female?

My african brine knife gets along real well with panda Cory's. They shared a cave and they would rest under his head

Brown ghost knife stay a lot smaller (6-8") then black ghost knife (over a foot) and are commonly more docile. Your corys will grown around 2-3" and they could be able to co-exists with the brown ghost knife, but not in that sized tank. They really should be in a 55g, and I would say at 5" now is the time. If you wait much longer you might stunt its growth and shorten its lifespan dramatically. Also, I wouldn't recommend a redtail with cory cats. Redstails have a tendency to take over the bottom of a tank if there isn't anything larger/tougher then them. A 55g with a brown knife and redtail is a very good start for a semi aggressive tank. Most catfish spices would be ok with a redtail, but not cory cats.

As for the 29g, how long has it been setup with 5 gourami and 2 angels?

I've had the 29 gal for 7 months and there is 2 male and 3 female gouramis. The redtail is not even like 2 inches yet and he's getting along with everyone so far. The knife is very active at dusk and dawn and he shares a cave with the redtail.

I'm just looking for fish that are known to work with the brown knife. But I appreciate the info.

I'm just looking for fish that are known to work with the brown knife. But I appreciate the info.

Just about any fish bigger than 2 inches and not nippy will work fine. They are very peaceful fish.

Would a German blue ram be good? It's peaceful but it doesn't get to big

I'm going to the fish store today and I'll be buying a ram and I'm thinking of some angels or a school of tetras. In my 29 gallon I recently got rid of my gar (such a vicious fish) I have 2 mature angels and 5 gouramis I was looking to add something relatively smaller but I'm not to sure what species to look at ideas?

Just about any fish bigger than 2 inches and not nippy will work fine. They are very peaceful fish.

My knife is far from peaceful! Everything I've read on them say that they're timid and hide a lot. Not mine! He is always out roaming the tank and tries to attack anything he sees. I have him in a 75 gal with a pictus cat and a pleco. They both stay hidden and he's currently trying to bury them both in their ships. I have to move rocks from the openings every couple of days so that they can get out. He also tries to "attack" my kids and husband through the glass. LOL I think I'm the only one he likes (although he did try to bite me when I brought home the pleco).

I think I'm going to add 2 more pictus cats and I'm researching rams as a possibility too.

My knife is far from peaceful! Everything I've read on them say that they're timid and hide a lot. Not mine! He is always out roaming the tank and tries to attack anything he sees. I have him in a 75 gal with a pictus cat and a pleco. They both stay hidden and he's currently trying to bury them both in their ships. I have to move rocks from the openings every couple of days so that they can get out. He also tries to "attack" my kids and husband through the glass. LOL I think I'm the only one he likes (although he did try to bite me when I brought home the pleco).

I think I'm going to add 2 more pictus cats and I'm researching rams as a possibility too.

You may have the asian brown knife. Very mean. Is the dorsal fin present?

Here's a little better pic.
He came with the tank when I got it a couple months ago. I'm still researching him and trying to figure out what else I can put in with him.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390529250.219058.jpg

2nd pic wont show for me but that is definetly an asian not an african. Very aggressive. It will probably be difficult to find tankmates.

Back
Top Bottom