fish in cycle (follow along)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tested again just now no change what so ever.

pH 7.2-7.0

Ammonia 0.25

Nitrites 0

Nitrates 0

Temp 76

All is the same....

Question. At what point do I take out my friends filters? Or should I just keep them in there with my filters?

Nah I know, I might go another route & do some CB zebras. Sad part is im actually looking at doing a nano reef(12G) as well because I love watching clowns play in anenome.

Question. At what point do I take out my friends filters? Or should I just keep them in there with my filters?

Kep them in for now I didnt go back & read but you had bio wheels as well as drop ins correct? if so keep the bio wheels in there & consider them yours until they fall apart. the drops ins has the same answer. now if you just put media in the filter behind yours you could slowly start taking it out as it starts breaking up.

Ok will do. Yeah I have 2 bio-wheels and my 2 filters and my friends 2 filters. I'll just leave them in till they look like there gonna fall apart.

With my old 28g bow front I was thinking of doing a planted tank with all neons or cardinals. Like a huge school of them.

NyteGTI said:
or you could dive into SW and really rack your brain with all the readings...

Haha already been thinking about it! LoL I posted in the sw section about a 29g biocube from my friend at the LFS.

Figure I'd punish myself some more.

Haha already been thinking about it! LoL I posted in the sw section about a 29g biocube from my friend at the LFS.

Figure I'd punish myself some more.

Check craigslist. you can find them MUCH cheaper used than brand new.. even some brand new in box for cheaper price.

UPDATE:

Is this normal? Am I going through something with my tank?

pH 7.2-7.0

Ammonia .25 ppm

Nitrate 5.0 ppm

Nitrite 0 ppm

Please... Anyone? I never had nitrate before and thought my tank was cycled. What does this mean? Should I just take a deep breathe? Man I'm a fire chief, I'd rather battle a 4 alarm fire!! This fish hobby is stressful but also enjoyable. I hadn't scheduled a water change till Sat.

nitrate just means your BB are alive & eating :)

no worries with the 5ppm nitrATE you can safely have up to 40 but try to stay around 20

just make sure you shook the crap outta that bottle #2 & test tube and try again. but otherwise it's ok as long as this isn't the nitrITE reading.

NyteGTI said:
nitrate just means your BB are alive & eating :)

no worries with the 5ppm nitrATE you can safely have up to 40 but try to stay around 20

just make sure you shook the crap outta that bottle #2 & test tube and try again. but otherwise it's ok as long as this isn't the nitrITE reading.

Thanks brother. Yeah I shake the crap outta the bottle #2 read about that in another thread and it's 100% NITRATE my nitrite is 0. I just double checked. All readings are the same as just posted.

Thanks brother. Yeah I shake the crap outta the bottle #2 read about that in another thread and it's 100% NITRATE my nitrite is 0. I just double checked. All readings are the same as just posted.
then you're good to go :dance: I'd like to see that ammo drop to 0 but that'll probably work itelf out. just do what you';ve been doing and don't do a change for anything under 0.5ppm ammo right now. If you start to develop nirtITES then we were wrong and you didn't silent cycle and then you'll be back to doing all the changes over & over again. but for now just keep up with your tests.. if you get the same readings for a week solid you're definitely cycled.

As above it's fine to have a small amount of nitrate.I always have about 40 ppm but my ammo and nitrite are always 0.
I think your good to go buddy all seems fine :)

Ok so with ammonia at 0.25 I can keep it and if it gets higher then do a change. Also keep an eye on nitrites. And keep up with testing. Got it! Thanks a million brother. :)

Just read your efforts...I wonder if you have any hair left!! It was useful to read, as I just starting out with my 1st tank and have 5 red eye tetras in it. Was testing with strips, but just got an Api master because I don't trust them. I'm only about 5 days in with fish in the tank. I too fell foul of the bad advice from the local pet store and dropped fish in after a few days. Wish me luck! :-S

@richard haha I was thinking the same thing. Im picturing hair pullout sessions & pacing back and forth waiting for us to answer :)

@Convict yep good to go man. have fun withthem now

NyteGTI said:
@richard haha I was thinking the same thing. Im picturing hair pullout sessions & pacing back and forth waiting for us to answer :)

@Convict yep good to go man. have fun withthem now

Yeah I told the wife I don't need a hair cut this week. And she was always saying your testing again?! Now what are you doing?! Your that phone again!? Your on that fish site aren't you?

I'm like honey I'm just writing down the results. Then later on.... Why are you still on the phone?! LOL!! I'm waiting for a reply!! Give me a break!! Haha! It's all her fault and she blames herself all the time. Haha she wanted a goldfish and then it started. It's all good though. She's really good about it. If I can only convince her to let me get a bigger tank or a bio for the bedroom.

Back
Top Bottom