Fish scared of me

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I can’t really see what’s going on in that picture is there a hole in the hood that they both can’t fit in, could you simply remove the hood to run them both?

I can’t really see what’s going on in that picture is there a hole in the hood that they both can’t fit in, could you simply remove the hood to run them both?
In order to fit the second one I would need to cut a couple inches off and I would really rather not do that1520129054163.jpg

since you’re cycling it’s not ideal to remove any bacteria that may have grown in the old filter but if you can’t fit both put the old cartridge behind the new one in the larger filter.

And make sure you keep up your testing of ammonia and nitrites. If your tank was completely cycled a little loss of bacteria from changing filters but seeding with the old cartridge might not do that much damage. But since your tank is unstable you may find that your problem gets a little worse before it gets better.

It was not completely cycled and I can assure u that lol
But I did get the seed should I start that from the beginning or just add it for waterchanges

How attached are you to your lid? My suggestion is to cut it so your filter and heater fit.

I’m not sure what you’re talking about. You mean a bacterial seeding product? If so it wouldn’t hurt to put some in to help seed the new filter.

And I agree with KingFisher. From what I remember your tank is overstocked, you’re going to need the extra filtration. Seems silly not to use a filter that you have for the sake of cutting a couple inches of plastic off the hood

If you got a Dremel tool it cuts plastic lid like a champ. I've "customized" mine. Looks good.

I really don't wanna cut it in a couple days if the water isn't good I will cut it bu5 I would like to see how this does for now the bacteria was added right onto the filter pad and some into the water it's a little jerky now but it will clear up another reason why I don't want to run both is because I don't have enough outlets but I'll make accomadations if necessary

Get a power strip. I think with your max stocking you will find that you have to run alot of filtration. Probably both filters. Trust me, I run into this problem because I continue to max out my tanks. I run minimum 3x the filtration on my tanks.

Mmmhmm. What king fisher said. It’s all well and good to have minimal filtration if you have minimal stocking. But having minimal filtration while having maximal stocking is a recipe for disaster.

You could probably have run just one filter if you had gotten an aqua clear 50 or 70 as someone recommended, because there is room inside for enough media to rinse/change some media without replacing the whole thing. The Aqueon really doesn’t have that kind of flexibility. Every time you have to rinse out the media you have to rinse out the whole thing… And eventually the cartridge will probably start to fall apart and then you’ll have to replace it and at that point you’re going to have a mini cycle because you’re replacing all of your filter media at one time.

I know it may not seem like it sometimes, but we are not trying to make this hard on you. We’re trying to help you set up a system that is not balanced on the edge of a knife and likely to cause you stress in the future. No one likes to spend all their time worrying about ammonia and fish illness and so on and so forth.

Don't you have a so called front door on the lid to open and close to beable to feed the fish at. This is a 20 gallon tank! If you do hang it there just until the filter gets the build up on it. Personally, I'd take that filter back and get a bigger one. That way you won't have to run both later on down the road. And another thing too. If you remove the smaller filter and use that cartridge for your new system. The bacteria in the small system will dye off if not kept in warm (tank)water. So the thought of using it later if needed will be a loss if wanting to use it for the bacteria.

Just cut it bro. It's not a big deal. When you run two filters you can replace the filter one at a time and you never have to worry about rinsing out the old filter in tank water. Just put a new one in...the other filter will take over while the new one collects BB again and vise versa. Overall it's just easier IMO.

If you don’t feel like cutting the lid, then take the contents (the existing cartridge and most importantly that material at the output of the filter) from the first filter and place it into the new one. You can keep the old one as a back up.

If you don’t feel like cutting the lid, then take the contents (the existing cartridge and most importantly that material at the output of the filter) from the first filter and place it into the new one. You can keep the old one as a back up.
That's what I'm doing right now later I'm gonna check how the new one is doing but I think it's gonna take a while

Today I was counting the fish and rralizedone of them wasn't there I turned over the big ship and this little guy floated up I watched him and tapped him a little and he didn't move so I realized he was dead the other day. He was fine was coming to the surface when I was feeding eating fine and swimming around fine and now he's dead the ammonia is at .50 all the other fish look fine and I don't know what else could have killed him any ideas also he smelt like dead fish so he must have been gone a while when I got him out could this be a disease that could spread to the rest of the tank? Please respond quick another thing is that I'm using prime so that ammonia should be not that bad right? 1520284345081.jpg1520284378700.jpg

it's not a surprise. You're running an overstocked, cycling tank with .5ppm ammonia (probably nitrites too) and a new filter. The bad water quality killed him and will continue to kill off more fish if you don't get it under control.

When was the last time you did a water change and how much. Unless you are doing a substantial one at least every 24 hours and dosing prime for the whole tank the prime will not save your fish from ammonia poisoning.

(This should go without saying but I'm going to say it anyway just in case. Do not add any new fish to replace the one that died.)

Today I was counting the fish and rralizedone of them wasn't there I turned over the big ship and this little guy floated up I watched him and tapped him a little and he didn't move so I realized he was dead the other day. He was fine was coming to the surface when I was feeding eating fine and swimming around fine and now he's dead the ammonia is at .50 all the other fish look fine and I don't know what else could have killed him any ideas also he smelt like dead fish so he must have been gone a while when I got him out could this be a disease that could spread to the rest of the tank? Please respond quick another thing is that I'm using prime so that ammonia should be not that bad right? View attachment 307598View attachment 307599
Could have been a few things isn't that one the smallest? Maybe he got too stressed out from the other nipping fish. Over dose of prime, so on. If your other fish are fine it's probably not a disease, could be, but just keep an eye on them. Your ammonia level was most likely caused from your dead fish. sorry you lost him. Imo! This is not badly over stocked. These angels are still very small. Test your water after water change see where your at now that the fish is out.

Back
Top Bottom