Fish scared of me

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good news the angelfish is eating again I'm gonna leave him in there to watch for a little longer (wait for his fins to grow back a little more) but I think we are on the bright side again

The black fish is doing great he won't eat when I have the cover off or when I'm close but he'll go up to the top when he doesn't see me. In other news lots of algae is growing is this good or bad does this with the tank mean it's totally gotten through the whole cycle it has been 3 months. I haven't checked the water parameters in a while since I got strept throat recently and haven't been able to pay too much attention to the tank1521249629756.jpg

The black fish is doing great he won't eat when I have the cover off or when I'm close but he'll go up to the top when he doesn't see me. In other news lots of algae is growing is this good or bad does this with the tank mean it's totally gotten through the whole cycle it has been 3 months. I haven't checked the water parameters in a while since I got strept throat recently and haven't been able to pay too much attention to the tankView attachment 307857

Nether good or bad really. Algae just ‘is’ in fish tanks! If it’s taking over too much/ too quickly then you could cut your lighting back a bit.

And it doesn’t necessarily mean the tank is fully cycled or parameters are good so you should keep up your testing when you’re able.

Hope you’re feeling better!

Ok i got the big test kit these are all my water parameters:

Ph: 7.6
Nitrate:0
Nitrite:0
Ammonia:.25

I released the black one into the main tank again and he's not moving up to get food but if it comes to him he will eat it and he is mainly hanging around in the back I lost the 3rd albino catfish and another one of the catfish was dead this morning I'm not sure what thee ammonia was at but it was high cause of what the pet store said hoping I'm not gonna loose anymore nowView attachment 307884View attachment 307885View attachment 307886View attachment 307887

The zero nitrate is unusual considering the age of the tank. You may want to repeat it and be sure to properly shake the reagents for the appropriate amount of time.

The zero nitrate is unusual considering the age of the tank. You may want to repeat it and be sure to properly shake the reagents for the appropriate amount of time.
I did it again same thing the only thing I could think of is that about a month and a half ago I drained more than 3/4 of the tank looking for a fish body didn't find it but that might have reset the tank but that was a month and a half ago I don't get it

I think there was the zeolite in the filter as well? Would have to look back - I thought it may have only really started cycling when you got the last lot of fish (as there was a clear ammonia spike). Just thinking - would have to look back.

The large water changes would/should not cause a mini-cycle. Some folks do that one or more times per week.
For some reason the biofilter is not mature. A mature filter should not have persistent ammonia. In 2011 or 2012 the ammonia out of my tap was 1.0 ppm. Despite that, even with 25-30% water changes per week the ammonia was always at zero. Once it rose to 0.5 but that was after a 75% WC; was back to zero the following day. This was in a lightly stocked 20g tank with an AC50 (great filters).

I don't know I'm down to 8 fish I lost another albino catfish literally lost again and another catfish died last night so it's not over crowded I know the tap water has no ammonia and I have 2 filter cartridges in the one filter something's not right on the other side I moved the black angel from solitary confinement to the general population and he is just hiding in the back only thing o can think of with that is that I know only have 2 angels and I know you are suppose to have either 1 or 3 or more so If that keeps up I'm gonna get another angel in there to dilute the tension

I don't know I'm down to 8 fish I lost another albino catfish literally lost again and another catfish died last night so it's not over crowded I know the tap water has no ammonia and I have 2 filter cartridges in the one filter something's not right on the other side I moved the black angel from solitary confinement to the general population and he is just hiding in the back only thing o can think of with that is that I know only have 2 angels and I know you are suppose to have either 1 or 3 or more so If that keeps up I'm gonna get another angel in there to dilute the tension

I would not add any more fish while you are regularly losing fish and having water quality issues.

Same thinking. Just a good chance of them being lost imo. Better to return a trouble-maker (although angelfish will always squabble ime and need decent tank volume for “retreat” areas).

I don't think it was only the other angel either cause when I was looking at them today I noticed the black angel was torn to shreds and that the betta was nipping at him on the sides a little but I put him back in the little holder again for his fins to grow back because all he was doing in the tank was laying at the bottom getting chased around

I have (in total) 2 angels 2 female swordtails 3 corydora catfish and a female crowntail beta
The betta and the angelfish go after him not that much but enough and they only do it to him they do it to the swordtails too but they don't care they would just try to start a game of tag with them or something like that

Hmmm, going to be tricky. Trouble-makers at a young age and two of them. In nature the black one would de-camp for greener pastures but hard to do that here. Even with extra cover, feeding time may see issues pop up. Could you nurse the black one back to health and return / give away?

Hmmm, going to be tricky. Trouble-makers at a young age and two of them. In nature the black one would de-camp for greener pastures but hard to do that here. Even with extra cover, feeding time may see issues pop up. Could you nurse the black one back to health and return / give away?

Agreed, if I recall correctly you have one angel who is quite a bit larger than the other, yes? If you add another smaller angel you risk them both getting torn up by the big one and if you add another big one they may distract each other but they may also just gang up on the little one sometimes.

Angelfish do squabble, that’s what they do, but having them of different sizes like that in a relatively small tank (as far as angelfish territories are concerned) is probably going to be perpetually tough on the small one. If at all possible I would ask if the store you bought one of the angelfish from (or any other) would take one of them.

I've been thinking do you think all those fish died so quickly cause we had A lot of nitrites and one of the chemicals I use could be hiding it's reading? Have you guys heard anything bad about aqueon water conditioner that's really the only thing I can think of

I've been thinking do you think all those fish died so quickly cause we had A lot of nitrites and one of the chemicals I use could be hiding it's reading? Have you guys heard anything bad about aqueon water conditioner that's really the only thing I can think of

Looks like it detoxifies ammonia which is main one. A pinch of salt between fingers will protect fish against nitrites (brown blood disease).

Water Conditioners | Aqueon

Brown Blood Disease

Back
Top Bottom