Fish tank with velvet. Help have plecos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not sure about the claims of prime either. I do use it also, but I'm dubious if it works like they say. I read where 80ppm and higher is lethal, over 40ppm long term is damaging or lethal also. 20ppm in freshwater is more ideal. Not many of my tanks are that low, I keep alot of cichlids and they destroy plants. I wish I had 20ppm in all my tanks

Not sure about the claims of prime either. I do use it also, but I'm dubious if it works like they say. I read where 80ppm and higher is lethal, over 40ppm long term is damaging or lethal also. 20ppm in freshwater is more ideal. Not many of my tanks are that low, I keep alot of cichlids and they destroy plants. I wish I had 20ppm in all my tanks

I never knew how to lower nitrate. I do weekly water changes. I did have dojo loaches which I love seeing my tank. The loaches are amazing how they fake dead and just swim. But they are so dirty and eat all the plants. So I move them to the pond. They r doing great there. They are about a foot long now. They almost kill all my plants so maybe it was them. But beside weekly water changes what u recommend?

No dead fish today. But. Look one of my plecos. Are these burns from meds? Nitrate? Internal bleeding ? This been happening to other plecos after meds. IMG_5098.jpg

Plants and water changes are all i personally know to lower nitrates. Like brookster said, you have a huge bio load even tho it's 150g. Once a week change may not be enough

Plants and water changes are all i personally know to lower nitrates. Like brookster said, you have a huge bio load even tho it's 150g. Once a week change may not be enough

U think that bleeding is internal bleeding from a disease or med. other are getting the same way. Only the plecos are tho. Lost a couple looking that way.

Just did 50 percent water change

And added prime and stress coat. That’s it. But I don’t want the rest of my plecos to die. Lost like 15 already after the meds. Before the meds were bala sharks and roseline. Not sure if it’s different issues or the same

Here you go. This and prime I add
View attachment 319037

Yes that has Aloe Vera lotion.

“Stress Coat” type products which have aloe vera as the active ingredient. Aloe vera gel is a polysaccharide, a polymerized sugar which rapidly degrades in an aquarium and causes bacterial blooms. One of these products, API StressCoat Natural, claims to neutralize chlorine. It cannot neutralize chlorine and several Facebook group posts have had whole tanks killed by using this product as a chlorine conditioner.

https://apifishcare.com/product/stress-coat

Aloe Vera

Aloe vera is used in “stress coat” products supposedly to aid in fish diseases and after a water change to sooth the fish. Aloe vera is a polysaccharide, a polymerized sugar. It coats the gills of the fish and interferes with oxygen exchange. It also rapidly depolymerizes, forming sugar in the aquarium water column. This sugar will give a bacterial outbreak in the water column. This bacterial outbreak will kill fish.

Reference Water Conditioners.

High nitrates will not kill your fish. It would take months at over 250 ppm to have any effect on adult fish.

Click here for Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate a and Chlorine information.

Click here for safe Nitrate level information. More in depth here.
My African cichlids all gasp at the surface and color down and look generally unhealthy if the nitrates go over 100. And that's short term. I think definitively saying any number for your aquarium is folly. We all know every tank, and all fish are different. The author in your article equates nitrates to humans drinking beer. But all bodies and metabolisms are different. Imo the safer bet is to keep them under 80ppm.

My African cichlids all gasp at the surface and color down and look generally unhealthy if the nitrates go over 100. And that's short term. I think definitively saying any number for your aquarium is folly. We all know every tank, and all fish are different. The author in your article equates nitrates to humans drinking beer. But all bodies and metabolisms are different. Imo the safer bet is to keep them under 80ppm.
The author does say under 80 is the goal which is fine. When I had cichlids and old tank syndrome 3-4 years ago, my nitrates were over 160. I did a 50% water change and they were still over 160. So I know they had to be twice that. Then I found this web site. So I tried an experiment. I kept my nitrates over 160 for 6 weeks on purpose. Nothing happened. I've never lost a fish to any water issues. After finding the AS.org web site, I just did what he said and all has been just fine for 3 years now. But of course, your mileage may vary.

The author does say under 80 is the goal which is fine. When I had cichlids and old tank sysdrome 3-4 years ago, my nitrates were over 160. I did a 50% water change and they were still over 160. So I know they had to be twice that. Then I found this web site. So I tried an experiment. I kept my nitrates over 160 for 6 weeks on purpose. Nothing happened. I've never lost a fish to any water issues. After finding the AS.org web site, I just did what he said and all has been just fine for 3 years now. But of course, your mileage may vary.
Cool, it's interesting to see some old myths debunked

Back
Top Bottom