Fish with school colors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyquidphyre

Aquarium Advice Addict
So, I got a job teaching HS Biology (sqweeeee!!!) and I plan to set up my 3gal tank and possibly my 29gal. As much as I wanted to go the turtle route, I think fish might be easier for my first year of teaching =o)

Anyways, the school colors are Navy and Scarlett (red) and I kinda wanted to have that color combo in my tank.

I know for my three gal I could buy a red and blue betta but what about my 29gal?

The only thing I could think of are cherry barbs and serpae tetras. Anyone have any suggestions for other fish that would work?

Yah, I thought about those, too. Also, dwarf blue gouramies... but I dunno... its not Navy. I'm so anal...

I wonder if I were to do a Navy background with the school logo and just red fish?

Thanks for the reply Zagz =o)
I think cardinal tetras might work better than the tetras- as far as colors go, don't you think?

Thanks An t-iasg !

I'm not completely sure if I will have my own classroom.. right now I will be in one room for 4/7 classes... and in another room for 2... so I still might be able to have a fish tank, it just depends on the teacher I share the classroom with.

I agree the cardinals would be a better choice for the colors. Of course the blue background with the red fish would look really sharp too.

Here is the school logo-

Boyd%20web%20logo%20copy.jpg

I'm thinking maybe I could paint the logo on a poster board (with Navy as the background instead of white) and put that behind the tank and then the red of the fish would really pop. Also, my gravel would be blue and black for that tank.

Maybe a large school of cardinals would be enough to be interesting. I would just like a larger "centerpiece" fish to go with them... wouldn't a blue gourami be too aggressive for cardinals?

Mollies, Platies and swordtails can be found in red. Orange (merigold) is the more common color, but there are red ones out there. They're all hardy live bearing fish so are more likely to survive random wierdness that some kid might drop in the tank.

Also they're bigger than cardinals or neons so they're easier to see from across a classroom.

Powder blue dwarf gouramis aren't aggressive at all from my experience. For the most part, the dwarf gouramis(pick your flavor) are quite peaceful. I have 2 absolutely gourgeous sunset honey dwarf gouramis in my 29g and they don't bother a thing.

I have had blue gouramis, dwarf gouramis, sunset gouramis, and pearl gouramis (not all at the same time) but it seems to me they are more agressive toward other gouramis and not so much other fish. Of course every fish is different but that was my experience.

A gourami would be a great centerpiece fish IMO. (the blue gourami is not really blue though if that is what you are after...more grey and spotty IMO)

The dwarf gouramis come in blue and red stripes too...not navy but still quite beautiful! :) I think a dwarf gourami or two and some cherry barbs would really stand out! :)

Back
Top Bottom