Flora-Glo ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marisullivan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 75g planted tank and purchased a 2800K 40w t-10 Flora Glo light. I give the plants some treatments maybe 3x a week - some stuff I got from the lfs that the guy said he used on his plants. However, I don't see any significant growth in my plants and did not know if my lighting might be too minimal.

Any suggestions is greatly appreciated.

IMO, yes. With that lighting, I'd suspect the plants to survive but not grow rapidly. For increased growth, I'd suggest that you look into T5HO. Flourescents are limited and honestly that bulb is just a marketing tool.

IMO, yes. With that lighting, I'd suspect the plants to survive but not grow rapidly. For increased growth, I'd suggest that you look into T5HO. Flourescents are limited and honestly that bulb is just a marketing tool.

Do those T5HO bulbs fit into the standard flourescent fixture? Otherwise I think it might be a bit out of my price range to get a whole new fixture.

T10? Is that some goofy bulb size the manufacturer came up with to ensure you have to buy their bulbs as replacements?

T5HO bulbs will fit in a standard T5 fixture, but requires a different ballast to operate properly.

forgive me for sounding like a ditz - I am a newbie with the planted side - but what is a T5HO? When it comes to my tanks I know it requires some money and I am prepared - within means - to foot that cost. My fishtanks are my hobby so money to maintain them properly is of the most importance.

forgive me for sounding like a ditz - I am a newbie with the planted side - but what is a T5HO? When it comes to my tanks I know it requires some money and I am prepared - within means - to foot that cost. My fishtanks are my hobby so money to maintain them properly is of the most importance.

Super powered flourescent bulbs! ;)

T5 is a bulb size designation. Fluorescent tubes are measured in 1/8" increments in diameter and inches in length. T5 would be 5/8" in diameter, T8 would be 1", and T12 would be 1.5". Those are the common sizes. HO stands for high output.

2 things ... there are very inexpensive lighting fixtures for T5s that work great even have lunar lights and such less than $100 ( i am so happy with the one i am about to get 2 more for my other tanks) i don'tknow about posting websites on this because i am new to this forum and do not wish to break any rules .. so if you PM me or email me i willl be glad to give you the site ... onward.. sounds like there is a need for CO2 in your tank and i have one of the Hydro G which is an inexpensive way way to add CO2 ... you get the system then you buy the little replacement 74gram CO2 disposable cylinders my has been going strong for 2 months at 2 bubbles per second and the replacement cylinders are $18 they should last for about 3 to 4 months ...my plants with very low light have exploded since adding this ... once again another thing i can give you more info with a PM or email

They're talking about stuff like this: AquaticLife LLC | Premium Marine Aquarium Products

The bulbs that come with these fixtures are decent but I've bought other bulbs (like the 18000K Power-Glo) which bring different types of light to bear. Worth trying to mix and match, as long as it fits in your budget. The 6000K bulb is probably the only one I really don't care for; it casts a greenish light that won't make plants grow (or algae for that matter).

The other guys are right, that Flora-Glo is for making african violets look good, and not much else ;0

i bought other bulbs for me as well no since in paying an arm and a leg for the fixture ... they all run the lights

Any opinions on the Life-Glo bulb? Its 15 watts and 6700K. Is that at least enough for moderate lighting on a 20g? There's really not many options open to me as far as upgrading to the whole T5HO package and the fact I'd need something then to cover the tank to keep some of the leapers in check.

Back
Top Bottom