fluval Chi to 10 gal upgrade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You don't need a TDS meter but it's handy sometimes. You definitely need a phosphate testing kit.

You might not believe me but the snails don't need to be fed. They feed on microalgae and need very little. I don't think feeding them that small amount of pellets is a problem though unless they are decaying on the sand bed and not getting eaten.

You can get a phosphate adsorbing pad, or some GFO to throw in a mesh bag with the carbon. Carbon doesn't rid the water of phosphates or nitrates.

Are you on a water change routine yet? You should pick a day of the week and do a pwc on that day every week.

You don't need a TDS meter but it's handy sometimes. You definitely need a phosphate testing kit.

You might not believe me but the snails don't need to be fed. They feed on microalgae and need very little. I don't think feeding them that small amount of pellets is a problem though unless they are decaying on the sand bed and not getting eaten.

You can get a phosphate adsorbing pad, or some GFO to throw in a mesh bag with the carbon. Carbon doesn't rid the water of phosphates or nitrates.

Are you on a water change routine yet? You should pick a day of the week and do a pwc on that day every week.

I believe you about the snails. I like watching them come out to eat though. They are pretty much my only entertainment. LOL! Ive cut back from everyday to every few days, and they eat the pellets. I drop them in an area where I can watch them eat it.

I do a pwc on thursday or friday. it depends on what my days are like. Im going to look into GFO. It may be expensive but I think it will be my best bet. I will need to get a phosphate test and another nitrate test. Im pretty much out of that one now. Thank you so much for your help. (y)

Tank looks good. Now if you can just get him to eat and get the hair algae gone....it'll happen, though. Don't give up!!

Beengirl said:
Tank looks good. Now if you can just get him to eat and get the hair algae gone....it'll happen, though. Don't give up!!

Thanks! I need some different water or some GFO. I'll see if I can find some different water before my next pwc.

Ok. I'm preparing an order for amazon. API Nitrate test, seachem phosphate test, and a 100ml pouch of seachem phosgaurd. I'll hopefully order it on Thursday. It won't make my fish eat but at least it should take care of the algae problem I'm having.

Well... I will try to get Brickleberry to eat again tomorrow. I was wondering- can I leave my lights off all day tomorrow? The coral can go one day without light, right? Maybe it will help him to adjust to the tank better.

Getting expensive ain't it lol.

You can leave the lights out. Probs help your algae too

scottayy said:
Getting expensive ain't it lol.

You can leave the lights out. Probs help your algae too

It's not too expensive... I'd just get the phosgaurd stuff but its free super saver shipping so I am getting the tests too. I think the total was $26 before taxes, so it isn't that bad. Lol!

I just want my fish to live and the algae gone... It'll happen eventually.

Guys! It's 4:43 am. I just used my flashlight to peek in the tank. Brickleberry was up on top of a rock and there are Copepods swimming all over the place. I am hoping and praying that he is eating some! And I am happy that he is still with me. Hang in there buddy!

Bearchumjs said:
Guys! It's 4:43 am. I just used my flashlight to peek in the tank. Brickleberry was up on top of a rock and there are Copepods swimming all over the place. I am hoping and praying that he is eating some! And I am happy that he is still with me. Hang in there buddy!

Hopefully he is. I read that they don't eat a whole lot cuz they don't swim around much and are really small, so don't need a lot of food. Not sure if that's right, but I read it on WetWebmedia.com.

It sounds about right. I hope he eats soon though. At least I hope I see him eat soon. Or at least if he'd come out I could see if he's full or not. He's lasted a lot longer that the 12 hours my first one lasted so I'm still hopeful. Nervous- but hopeful.

Haha I'm sure he'll be okay. The one my lfs Has just sits wherever he feels comfy. All day long.

Bearchumjs said:
Lol! I hope mine does that eventually!

Yours is probably sitting somewhere comfy, unfortunately, that "comfy" spot is where you can't see him. :(

Beengirl said:
Yours is probably sitting somewhere comfy, unfortunately, that "comfy" spot is where you can't see him. :(

I don't know... He's got all those bumps... I think he is ill or severely stressed. Hopefully in a few days he comes out. I turned the lights out early today so hopefully he will feel better tomorrow.

U check your salinity lately? It's easy to get bumped really high or low in a small tank. I ask because the water level in recent pictures looks lower than older pictures. :p

scottayy said:
U check your salinity lately? It's easy to get bumped really high or low in a small tank. I ask because the water level in recent pictures looks lower than older pictures. :p

I check it everyday! I keep it 1.024-1.025. It's lower due to the acclimation of the new fish. It was borderline below 1.024 so I let a little evaporate off too. I keep good track of it. Once I get the new PH I can raise the water level to where I want it. It has to be lower than I'd like so that I get a stronger flow and surface movement. Hopefully that makes sense.

Back
Top Bottom