Fluval Flex 9/15g Spare Compartment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishables

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all,

What does everyone put in the spare compartment in the back? I currently place my heater beside the pump and there is nothing in that area ... seems like wasted space.

Here is the quote from Fluval (quoted from the 32G model so the GPH wouldn't be the same) They all have the 3 stage filtration.

"To achieve superior water quality, a powerful 3-stage filtration is included with oversized mechanical (foam), chemical (carbon), and biological (Biomax) media.

The Multi-directional 214 GPH dual outputs allow customized water flow, all hidden nicely in the rear compartment, allowing the focus to remain on your beautifully manicured aquascape."

You are asking about what appears to be a total waste of space. And what to put in there. If you are happy with the filters you have and the one heater then yes it’s a no fish waste of space, with a filter you can’t see and a heater you can’t see to check on.

I have several second hand Fluval tanks . I got stuck into them straight away and cut the black silicone away the removed the panels. I no longer have to hunt to see what of the life support system is working.

So my answer is fish now swim in that wasted space I can see if a heater is working and can check the status of the filter at a glance.

My opinion filters and heaters should be checked daily not hidden away like they are something to be ashamed of.

You are asking about what appears to be a total waste of space. And what to put in there. If you are happy with the filters you have and the one heater then yes it’s a no fish waste of space, with a filter you can’t see and a heater you can’t see to check on.

I have several second hand Fluval tanks . I got stuck into them straight away and cut the black silicone away the removed the panels. I no longer have to hunt to see what of the life support system is working.

So my answer is fish now swim in that wasted space I can see if a heater is working and can check the status of the filter at a glance.

My opinion filters and heaters should be checked daily not hidden away like they are something to be ashamed of.

Interesting thoughts... already have it planted with gravel and plants. The light doesn’t seem to be very strong though for growing anything. It’s been 2 weeks now and I haven’t seen growth.

In my opinion. It takes longer than two weeks for any new plants to settle into a new environment. Hopefully a little root growth is happening now or will soon ? I suggest you just need to give them more time?

See attached photos. Browning dwarf hair grass and the tips on the tall plant are browning. New tank syndrome?

Attachments

• BE4C5ED5-B26E-4CD5-A788-2DA8BC69C453.jpeg
    BE4C5ED5-B26E-4CD5-A788-2DA8BC69C453.jpeg
    101.3 KB · Views: 109
  • EDCE0EFE-5FD7-4448-B802-B1E3B0ADFC71.jpeg
    EDCE0EFE-5FD7-4448-B802-B1E3B0ADFC71.jpeg
    109.2 KB · Views: 56
Was the dwarf hair grass from a tissue culture bag or cup?

Was the tall plant maybe cyperus helferi, grown under or above water? (or pond plant Dwarf Papyrus King Tut?)

The grass I purchased from a cup at the local pet store From the general planted tank and then separated it as you can see.... the tall plant was not labeled, but was being sold under water.

It seems to me there is some transitioning of the plants getting used to the new environment.

To me, it seems the tall plant is unusually tall for a plant grown and raised in it's lifetime all underwater, and more than likely it was raised in a nursery where it was grown with it's leaves in air, not water.

Plant sellers get the plants to a marketable size and away they go as fast as possible to be purchased and these would have been much smaller imho if grown underwater.

It might be good to know, ask the manager if they know how the (tall) plants arrived at the store. Wrapped in paper, in bags of water??? And if they know if they were grown under water or not. Most will not know. Or if it is a named vendor usually you can find out how they raise their plants.

Anyhow there is usually some issues in transitioning nursery air grown plants to underwater in your aquarium. You might see new under water leaves coming up in the next couple weeks. They might look a bit different.

Back
Top Bottom