Foaming water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i had a tank do that, but i was fishless cycling my tank with ace hardware ammonia (no added stuff just ammonia and water) i did alot of research as to why it was foamy like that and found out it was do to a bacteria bloom (water was also cloudy) the water did clear but it stayed foamy for quite some time until my tank was fully cycled and then the foam just went away.

i imagine your tank is cycled, but maybe its going through a mini cycle because of removing everything and washing the sand, with treated water or not....the stress could have caused most of the bacteria to die off.

Update on my foam. Still doing pwc regularly. Today I did a 50% wc came back a couple hours later and foam was all the way across top of tank. I scooped out and put in a bucket and let sit. Foam went back to water. Freaked me out a bit, this is the worse it has been.

Are your tank parameters good?

Update on my foam. Still doing pwc regularly. Today I did a 50% wc came back a couple hours later and foam was all the way across top of tank. I scooped out and put in a bucket and let sit. Foam went back to water. Freaked me out a bit, this is the worse it has been.

i had a tank do that, but i was fishless cycling my tank with ace hardware ammonia (no added stuff just ammonia and water) i did alot of research as to why it was foamy like that and found out it was do to a bacteria bloom (water was also cloudy) the water did clear but it stayed foamy for quite some time until my tank was fully cycled and then the foam just went away.

i imagine your tank is cycled, but maybe its going through a mini cycle because of removing everything and washing the sand, with treated water or not....the stress could have caused most of the bacteria to die off.

Thanks for the insight. I just would have never guessed this could have been the case as it ran perfectly for a year and the sand was a gentle rinsing and a little sloshing, not any scrubbing, added some, new...not arguing just having a hard time understanding, the BB could be so delicate! :facepalm: lol

well not 100% sure thats what happened, but it is possible and the foamy water with me was because of the bacteria. bacteria can be quite sensitive, they can die from quick changes in water temp and PH just like fish do

Well I think those BB could use some Army training!!! They would still be going strong! :)

The reasoning sounds possible. Still shaking my head over the whole thing and sad since my OEBT are in my little 2.5G which isn't beautiful like my Edge...:(

haha yeah, maybe before we had our budget cut :p

well either way, hopefully the foam goes away because i know it is not very attractive, but if the other water params are fine, then it should be ok.

my test kit just came in today, have been borrowing test strips from a friend(he has no idea how old they are).GH-30, KH-40, PH-6.5-7, NO2-0 and NO3-20. my ammonia was at about 1-2. ammonia out of tap is running about .25. how do i go about lowering my ammonia?

you can lower the ammonia by doing partial water changes, if your tap has ammonia then i suggest getting some Prime, it is a water conditioner that will detoxify ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate for 24 hours.

if you not aware of the nitrogen cycle then please read this.

The Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle

also i would suggest getting a liquid test kit like API freshwater master kit, has test strips can be very inaccurate

Last edited:
you can lower the ammonia by doing partial water changes, if your tap has ammonia then i suggest getting some Prime, it is a water conditioner that will detoxify ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate for 24 hours.

if you not aware of the nitrogen cycle then please read this.

The Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle

Excellent advice. I get .25 from my tap right now too and use Prime. Best bet is to not over feed, use high quality foods, do several pwc or a big one and use the Prime. Kinda smells funny but works great.

Get lots of plants and keep a planted tank, and develop a good BB, if you have filter pads you can usually double up on them and only use treated water to rinse, do not replace them unless they fall apart.

Guppies look good in the tank today, turned the filter to low as it was blowing them all over. The foaming seems to be lessening too. Didn't get time for a pwc, maybe tomorrow.

Excellent advice. I get .25 from my tap right now too and use Prime. Best bet is to not over feed, use high quality foods, do several pwc or a big one and use the Prime. Kinda smells funny but works great.

Get lots of plants and keep a planted tank, and develop a good BB, if you have filter pads you can usually double up on them and only use treated water to rinse, do not replace them unless they fall apart.

Guppies look good in the tank today, turned the filter to low as it was blowing them all over. The foaming seems to be lessening too. Didn't get time for a pwc, maybe tomorrow.

good to hear that the foaming is going away! yeah guppys are not the greatest swimmers :p

thanks guys! ive heard as well that i can let the water out of the tap just sit for a little bit lower the ammo levels, is this a good idea, or should i just get prime? another question i have is how often should i be feeding? ive been feeding once every other day this last week. this is after feeding two times a day about 3 weeks ago. so i know i was over feeding at first.

sorry to have taken over your thread autumn and thanks for the help!

thanks guys! ive heard as well that i can let the water out of the tap just sit for a little bit lower the ammo levels, is this a good idea, or should i just get prime? another question i have is how often should i be feeding? ive been feeding once every other day this last week. this is after feeding two times a day about 3 weeks ago. so i know i was over feeding at first.

sorry to have taken over your thread autumn and thanks for the help!

No worries about the thread, its related to the topic.

As for leaving the water out overnight, Chlorine can evaporate. I just pm'ed Aqua_Chem and asked for his comments/expertise. I believe it doesn't do anything for Chloramine, ...or heavy metals of course. I will forward any info when I receive it.

In regards to feeding, how many gallons and how many and what type of occupants, again, sorry if you already said. What type of foods are you using, and are there plants? Snails, clean up crew, what kind? Filter?

I am an over feeder, but I am trying to reform, just hate to think the little guys are hungry! Not over feeding is best though. Really makes a difference in water quality. Something I have been careful with in my Edge with my cherry shrimp, and now my OEBT.

No worries about the thread, its related to the topic.

As for leaving the water out overnight, Chlorine can evaporate. I just pm'ed Aqua_Chem and asked for his comments/expertise. I believe it doesn't do anything for Chloramine, ...or heavy metals of course. I will forward any info when I receive it.

In regards to feeding, how many gallons and how many and what type of occupants, again, sorry if you already said. What type of foods are you using, and are there plants? Snails, clean up crew, what kind? Filter?

I am an over feeder, but I am trying to reform, just hate to think the little guys are hungry! Not over feeding is best though. Really makes a difference in water quality. Something I have been careful with in my Edge with my cherry shrimp, and now my OEBT.

That would be great! Thanks!

In regards to the tank: it's a 14 gallon. Stocked with 4 card tets, 2 fancy guppies, currently have 5 guppy fry in breeder box, and 2 African dwarf frogs. Used to have a pleco but he passed last week or so. Which was right around when my foam started up. Im not quite sure on the filter. I think it's an Aquin 20, but not sure. Just know its an Aquin.

I have to have my daughter feed the fish just because her pinches are smaller. When I get home ill check the food brand.

Aqua_Chem says...

Leaving a bucket out overnight worked on chlorine because it actually a gas, and will leave the water on its own if given enough time. Ammonia is actually also a gas, and will do the same thing, but when it's protonated to from ammonia, it no longer a gas and will stay in water indefinitely. Chloramines are stuck in solution by the same mechanism, forming the non-gaseous chlorammonium.

So, if you have really high pH, it might do something, but under most circumstances it's not really going to happen.

Thanks Aqua_Chem!!!:thanks:

Aqua_Chem says...

Leaving a bucket out overnight worked on chlorine because it actually a gas, and will leave the water on its own if given enough time. Ammonia is actually also a gas, and will do the same thing, but when it's protonated to from ammonia, it no longer a gas and will stay in water indefinitely. Chloramines are stuck in solution by the same mechanism, forming the non-gaseous chlorammonium.

So, if you have really high pH, it might do something, but under most circumstances it's not really going to happen.

Thanks Aqua_Chem!!!:thanks:

Good information, thanks for the forward! Think I'll just stick with the prime. Seems like its more of a sure thing.

In regards to the tank: it's a 14 gallon. Stocked with 4 card tets, 2 fancy guppies, currently have 5 guppy fry in breeder box, and 2 African dwarf frogs. Used to have a pleco but he passed last week or so. Which was right around when my foam started up. Im not quite sure on the filter. I think it's an Aquin 20, but not sure. Just know its an Aquin.

I have to have my daughter feed the fish just because her pinches are smaller. When I get home ill check the food brand.

The food I feed my fish is aqueon tropical flakes for my frogs I feed them API bottom feeder. Switching the frogs over to blood worms.

How's the water foaming? Did you notice it starting after you had cleaned the tank, or filter or added something new?

Well, you aren't over stocked as the little guppies are so small. The thing about guppies, is that they make more guppies, and lots of them! I would recommend a Mystery snail or Nerite snail for extra cleaning up from feeding the fry. Once you make sure your tank parameters are good.

You should start being on the look out for a "new" bigger tank as likely soon you will be overstocked with baby guppies.

Mystery snail can lay eggs, but Nerites may lay eggs but don't reproduce in FW. There lots of shell types/patterns and colors of snails. The Horned Nerites are so amazing!

In my opinion the Nerite is best for cleaning things in the tank, glass, plants and algae, and the Mystery snail for cleaning extra food. Though Ramshorns will too.

I also love Ramshorn snails, the red ones and Bronze and Pearl ones! lol But some people feel they reproduce too much. Hasn't been a problem for me, but others get bothered about too many babies. Overfeeding is a big contributor to over population with them.

My foaming tank has at least three regular sized Ramshorns, plus I think there are smaller ones too. Seem to have been fine this whole time and are cruising along seemingly content.

Your filter is it an Aqueon or as you said Aquin? If it is an Aqueon, I would add another filter pad to the box behind the first one. In about 3-4 weeks you will have doubled your BB! Good thing when you have fry. Also recommend Hikari First Bites for baby fry, but get a flat end toothpick for feeding, and for the 5 fry - use the pointier side as that stuff is crazy tiny sized and goes a long way. Aqueon seems like ok flake, Personally I only use the flake for special reasons. Had problems. I like the Hikari Micro bites, great size for smaller tetras and guppies. Best to soak the blood worms (tank water) if dried. You should post a thread about your tank if you already haven't done it, and let me know!

How's the water foaming? Did you notice it starting after you had cleaned the tank, or filter or added something new?

Well, you aren't over stocked as the little guppies are so small. The thing about guppies, is that they make more guppies, and lots of them! I would recommend a Mystery snail or Nerite snail for extra cleaning up from feeding the fry. Once you make sure your tank parameters are good.

You should start being on the look out for a "new" bigger tank as likely soon you will be overstocked with baby guppies.

Mystery snail can lay eggs, but Nerites may lay eggs but don't reproduce in FW. There lots of shell types/patterns and colors of snails. The Horned Nerites are so amazing!

In my opinion the Nerite is best for cleaning things in the tank, glass, plants and algae, and the Mystery snail for cleaning extra food. Though Ramshorns will too.

I also love Ramshorn snails, the red ones and Bronze and Pearl ones! lol But some people feel they reproduce too much. Hasn't been a problem for me, but others get bothered about too many babies. Overfeeding is a big contributor to over population with them.

My foaming tank has at least three regular sized Ramshorns, plus I think there are smaller ones too. Seem to have been fine this whole time and are cruising along seemingly content.

Your filter is it an Aqueon or as you said Aquin? If it is an Aqueon, I would add another filter pad to the box behind the first one. In about 3-4 weeks you will have doubled your BB! Good thing when you have fry. Also recommend Hikari First Bites for baby fry, but get a flat end toothpick for feeding, and for the 5 fry - use the pointier side as that stuff is crazy tiny sized and goes a long way. Aqueon seems like ok flake, Personally I only use the flake for special reasons. Had problems. I like the Hikari Micro bites, great size for smaller tetras and guppies. Best to soak the blood worms (tank water) if dried. You should post a thread about your tank if you already haven't done it, and let me know!

The foam had started before and after I did the cleaning. Was worse after though. It's better now, still a little bit of foam though. I haven't changed the filter or added anything new to the tank. I have been rinsing the filter media in old tank water.

I'm planning on getting maybe a 10 gallon for all the future fry. I was looking into some otocynclus for the tank. I hadn't thought about snails. The only thing off still with my paramaters is my ammonia. Still about 1 heading towards 2 going to get my prime today and do a wc. I think I found what's been causing my ammo spike though.

As for the filter, I miss typed. It is an aqueon not Aquin lol. Is it possible to have too much BB? I have been feeding first bites to the fry for about 2 weeks now. Not sure when to switch to different food and what to switch to.

Back
Top Bottom