Frogs and Earthworms (Please Help)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StyleUK

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello everyone,

Can I feed my African Dwarf Frog small washed earthworms? And if I can should I make sure they arn't alive first?

If I can't, what else can I feed him except bloodworms and fish flakes?

Oh and sorry, one last question, how can I culture my own bloodworms, if possible that is?

Thanks for any imput!

not smart since bloodworms are the larvae of mosquitos... unless mosquitos dont bite u...

i would think so i think i remeber reading that you could. i know you can give them live black worms... i would just make sure they are found in a clean enviroment. i have 3 and i havent tried feeding them any worms yet.

krap101 said:
not smart since bloodworms are the larvae of mosquitos... unless mosquitos dont bite u...

They're actually the larvae of non-biting Chironimid midges; however, captive culturing is difficult nonetheless.

Blackworms, brine shrimp, almost any kind of pellet. They are more carnivorous though so they don't do well with just algae wafers.
Do a google search on "african dwarf frog" you'll find what you need to know.

Earthworms are fine, so long as they come from a pesticide-free environment. I will, however, be a bit tricky to find eartworms small enough for an ADF.

I use O.S.I. shrimp sinking pellets for my frogs, its cheap and they like them. Sometimes for a treat I give them frozen bloodworms or brine shrimp. Why would you want to hassle with raising live worms anyway, thats a lot of unnecessary work IMO

You could cut up earthworms, but if you dig them up from the backyard, you can't have ever used pesticides or fertilizer in the yard. Try freeze-dried plankton too. I don't believe they will eat flakes.

i have a compost pile outside thats been going for a few years... nothings been added to it but plants and fruits and such. so i dont have a problem with raising them so when i start seeing them around i'm going to wash them for a while then cut them up and drop them in. do you guys think that it would be ok to feed the fish earthworms too? otherwise i have no way to feed them worms...

Putting the worms in an oatmeal substrate overnight will clear their gut, then a brief rinse in lukewarm dechlorinated water, and they are great fish food.

e burna said:
I was thinking of getting a few of these. Are there any drawbacks to having them? (dwarf frogs)

They need to be kept with community fish or they get eaten. But I love having them, lots of fun to watch.

Back
Top Bottom