From Guppy to FUNKY! My build.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigbanker

Aquarium Advice Addict
After speaking with Godfan I've decided to steal this idea and make my own build thread....

I TOO will be doing an African Leaf Fish build.

The tank is an existing guppy ground.... I've got some plants from my DT and they are currently in this tank for hiding places for my fry. I will be adding a single leaf fish and my electric blue crayfish (Is that a good idea?)

I'm running a tetra whisper 40 on this tank. And some sort of heater.... :) It came with the tank when I purchased it.

Lights: I've got TWO (2) T8 fixtures running on the tank now. One bulb for plants and the other is just a daylight bulb.

Stocking:
1 Spotted African Leaf Fish
1 Electric blue Crayfish
5 LARGE black neon tetra (I forget their real names!)
Oodles of ghost shrimp

Plants: Hornwort, bronze crypt wendtii, dwarf sag, broad leaf sag, italian val, and some repens.

Following :) (you knew I would)
What size tank? Be careful with the tetras as the Leaf Fish can eat a fish almost its own size!

Leaf fish. The lfs had some awhile ago and I was thinking of getting one or two. It I didnt know to much about them and all the tanks have fish that are to small in them...

Look at what this girl got! Free piece of driftwood that my grandfather had given up on soaking. Ive got it in one of my water change buckets weighted down with some stones. I believe it is mopani.

The tank is a 29g but it might be moving to the 55g if I buy a 95g I found on Craigslist. I really want a six foot tank but can't seem to find a nice cheap one.

The tetras the lps has a probably some of the largest I've seen in store in some time... I figured since they are fast they should be okay.

ForumRunner_20120606_184105.jpg

Leaf fish. The lfs had some awhile ago and I was thinking of getting one or two. It I didnt know to much about them and all the tanks have fish that are to small in them...

There doesn't seem to be too much info on them; so, it certainly takes some research which is blah! However, getting one is a great reason to revamp the tank ;)

I figured the leaf fish was going to be a great way to get my guppy population within reasonable numbers.

The leaf fish will destroy the entire guppy population! It can swallow a fish almost its own size. It does this by creating a funnel with its mouth and sucking the fish in. No fish is safe unless it is to big to swallow lol
Really nice piece of driftwood by the way!

The leaf fish will destroy the entire guppy population!!

Perfect! :) The guppy population is spilling over into the 10g, 55g, 20g, a few coworker's tanks, and my grandfather's tank. It will be a self culling tank.

thanks on the driftwood. It is currently soaking. The tannins aren't awful. I just wish it would sink.....

I am too impatient. The wood would get tied to a rock or something lol

I am too impatient. The wood would get tied to a rock or something lol

Alas I have given in..... Moved all of the plants out of the way to plop both the driftwood and about 29 millions pounds of rocks in the tank. I'm too lazy to do water changes on four tanks AND a bucket of wood. -_-'

In other news.... I've decided to purchase a 95g tank. It will house my current mixed community. The stand has to be painted black as does the back of the tank. Once that is complete and the community has a new home I'll move the 29g (aka the leaf/cray fish) tank into the former community. The 29g will go up for sale or be held for a possible salt water build when I can afford it!

Ill take the 29! lol well you can have a good number of leaf fish in a tank that size!

Teehee!!! A good number of fish in which tank?

It is official though... I've spoken with my roommate. The 29g is staying and will officially be the home of the leaf fish. Which is interesting because I currently cannot find ANY locally. The 55g will move into the 95g and the old 55g community will become a saltwater reef.

Since adding the driftwood to my tank my plants seem to be dying off which is stressing me out!!! Not too sure why. Also not sure if it sinking on its own as it is still laden with tons of rocks.

Back
Top Bottom