Future Planning of 55G Help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gremlynn1992

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 55G aquarium I plan to set up as soon as I have my own place. It doesn't have a lid or anything right now. It used to be a saltwater tank. Is it okay to make it a fresh tank now?

Planned:
Substrate: I would prefer a heavier sand not the finer than sugar sand I have in my brackish crab tank.. it is a pain and you cant siphon water out or clean like gravel as the sand goes with the water! I'm not sure if this would be okay for the fish we want, as all the stores I've talked to said use gravel. stores say 1-2 inches substrate a site I was reading the guy uses 1/4 inch with wonderful results he says.

Filter: I haven't found any that I liked at the LFS. Any suggestions? I would prefer a Bio Wheel of some sort.

Anyone have an Eclipse cover w/ bio wheel? Any problems with it or is it really good? How does it work? Also does it have lights included?

Heater: Not sure on brand yet, but I am planning to get a couple smaller ones to put on each end any experience doing this? Which type should I get and wattage?

Decorations: I have been considering Cichlid Stones, hollow ceramic stones with holes for the fish to hid in. Also ceramic driftwood as I don't know where to find real safe driftwood around here.

I want live plants, but I'm not sure how to actually keep them alive... I had a dwarf lily bulb that grew well for a while and it finally died on me. I'm apparently not good with them or I'm doing it wrong.

Last but not least FISH!
My fiance and I both want sharks.

Bala: I have heard conflicting stories. Some people say 7in, some say 12 and some say 1'6". What have been your experiences with them? How many should I get for the 55? I also want other fish not just sharks.

Rainbow: Albino and Black w/ Red Fins: I heard they stay about 6in approx, and that they are best kept singularly or with at least 6. Also I currently have an Albino Rainbow. I really like there colors but I enjoy both variations. Would they view each other as the same species to count toward the 6 or would they fight between Pink & Black?

Red Tail Black Shark: I read that these guys tend to be about 6 inches as well, and the same applies to them as Rainbows. Is this true? Your experiences?

Schooling fish: I really like the Neons but I'm pretty sure they are too small. Experiences here? Also what other schooling fish would you guys recommend?

You should get 0 Bala Sharks...I think with a lot of caves you'd get away with maybe 3 Rainbow Sharks. I believe Red Tailed need bigger than 55G.

Back
Top Bottom