Future Tank Endeavor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wilkieam

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys, I'm back! A few years back I had a planted 10g and unfortunately ended up selling it for some extra cash about a year ago. Now that the boyfriend and I are getting a house (within the next few months), I've been planning on getting back into the hobby.

I'm thinking about purchasing a 55g or larger depending on what I can find on Craigslist, and having a planted community.

The tricky part comes with the planning. I have a rough idea of a stock list already that I would like to run by you guys.

Potential Stock List:
2 x Blood Parrot Cichlid
12 x Cardinal Tetra
12 x Black Neon Tetra
10 x Red Cherry Shrimp or Red Crystal Shrimp (dependent on availability)

I plugged it into AqAdvisor and it's a tad overstocked, but I've been able to manage that in the past with ample water changes. My question is, would the blood parrots be too aggressive for the others?

Also, as far as equipment, I was thinking 2 150w heaters, LED lights, and a canister filter. Though I've only ever had HOB filters in the past, I like the appeal of something that is mostly silent. As far as ease of use, how well do you think it'd work for me?

Plant wise, I was thinking relatively easy maintenance, with root tabs and liquid ferts, no CO2. Was going to stick with what I know and go with some swords, pennywort, stuff like that.

Any suggestions and advice would be appreciated. I'll post pictures and maybe a build thread once I get this whole thing started.

Thanks,
Audrey

I really feel like the parrots are the odd one out in this mix. Even with a deformed mouth I'd worry about aggression and possibly eating the smaller inhabitants if they were able to.

BP also get very large... I've seen near adults at my LFS and they are quite the beast...I've also heard they like to dig up plants.

Personally I'd look at something a bit more gentle yet still a decent size like maybe an angelfish or keyhole cichlid.

Caleb

Cichlids will eat the shrimp, no matter what type from discus to keyhole. Are you looking for a centerpiece fish for the tank?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G800A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Even with a deformed mouth I'd worry about aggression and possibly eating the smaller inhabitants if they were able to.

BP also get very large... I've seen near adults at my LFS and they are quite the beast...I've also heard they like to dig up plants.

Personally I'd look at something a bit more gentle yet still a decent size like maybe an angelfish or keyhole cichlid.

Caleb, that was probably my largest concern was the possible aggression and eating the other inhabitants. I'm always drawn to them at my LFS because of their playfulness and how beautiful they are, but I may reconsider. I could always get something larger for just them down the road and I'm mainly looking for a community tank at the moment. I'm looking for something more colorful than keyholes, and I've never been fond of angelfish. Do you have any other suggestions?

Cichlids will eat the shrimp, no matter what type from discus to keyhole. Are you looking for a centerpiece fish for the tank?

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking I'd like best. Hoping to find something that really "wows" the boyfriend so he doesn't just think they're dumb fish.

Oh, and I've seen and heard about blood parrots being okay with others and also destroying the tank and being completely horrible fish. I'd say it's like a 50/50 chance

Finntastic, I have heard similar too. I was hoping with plenty of hiding places (DW, caves, etc.) and heavily planted it wouldn't be too bad, but hard to say. Some fish have different personalities than others.

I've seen them kept with angels, rainbowfish, and small tetras all together in a heavily planted. I think your best bet is to add them last and when they are still pretty small

But yeah all fish have personalities. Some good some bad and some in between

Hmmm... That's what I was thinking.. Once cycled, I was probably going to establish my schooling fish little by little and then add the RCS later on, and finally the blood parrots. That makes me very hopeful. Thanks, Finn!

Any other advice before I really get cracking on doing research and budgeting?

Suggestions on canister filters, LED fixtures, etc? Really want to do things right and go all out this time around.

AquStockImage.php

Drew up a new potential stocklist, thinking about another schooling fish, any suggestions?

AquStockImage.php

Drew up a new potential stocklist, thinking about another schooling fish, any suggestions?
I would say no to the crystal reds. They arent nearly as hardy as the rcs.

Have you thought about a gourami as a centerpiece fish?

Also, take a look at praecox rainbows for a nice schooling fish.

I have an idea, you could add a school of otos to help clean up. Also Home has a lot of fish for ideas
Hmm... how about a school of corys? Not a huge fan of otos, probably surprising considering their popularity on here.

I would say no to the crystal reds. They arent nearly as hardy as the rcs.

Have you thought about a gourami as a centerpiece fish?

Also, take a look at praecox rainbows for a nice schooling fish.

Darn, those crystal reds are gorgeous,I love their red and white stripes. I probably wasn't going to introduce those anyways until the tank is super well established.

And I've had dwarf gouramis in the past, so it surprises me that I didn't think of them immediately. Something to think about...

Also, praecox rainbows were on my shortlist as well as boesmanis, but was undecided so far.

Well the crystals just dont breed as quickly. The rcs can handle the occasional death because 15+ are born every month with each female. The crystals cant take those losses in a community tank.

AquStockImage.php

What about adding more to the schools you already have in mind? Too many different schooling fish in a 55g and you end up with chaos verses nice tight schools. Harlequins and cardinals will look great together and adding more than 10 of each woild make the schools look nicer as well as help them feel safer. Just a thought, and that's only if you end up with a 55g

What about adding more to the schools you already have in mind? Too many different schooling fish in a 55g and you end up with chaos verses nice tight schools. Harlequins and cardinals will look great together and adding more than 10 of each woild make the schools look nicer as well as help them feel safer. Just a thought, and that's only if you end up with a 55g

That may look nice as well, I thought about it was just unsure of the direction I wanted to take. Having each school shoal together nicely was the goal in mind though so that might be what I end up doing.

Back
Top Bottom