FW 10G Easy Plants and QT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hornpipe2

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
10 gallon, 13W screw-in CFL (only one since there's not enough in here yet to justify a second bulb), cheapy HOB filter and heater.

My wife and I got this as our first tank before we were married. The original fish in it survived a three hour ride in a U-Haul, which was a fun experience [photo 1]. We eventually purchased a 55gal and this one sat dormant with no use for a while, but I eventually put a CFL over it and tried my hand at growing a few plants.

It has been doing nothing but gathering algae for a few months. I finally got around to cleaning it up, fixed up the DIY CO2 again, and here we are (plus a tetra in quarantine that I don't expect to survive :() Hoping these Java Ferns will take off again, I usually move them to the 55g when they get big enough as they grow faster here [photo 2].

Pretty boring, I know. One day I'll put a real active CO2 diffuser on it and make this a little garden instead.

Attachments

• image7.jpg
    image7.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 92
  • image4.jpg
    image4.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 83
could i put 5 neon tetras and a pair of platys in a 10 gallon? ..or would I be overstocking the tank?

I think that would be fine, though things might get a little cramped if the platys have any fry.

At the most we had a small Tetra school, two black mollies, and three small clown loaches at the same time - but I think that was too much. We moved them to the new 55G tank at first opportunity and they seemed happier.

I also think that would be fine you could even put 1 or 2 ottos in there but Hornpipe2 is right about the babies because platys are live bearers they breed alot about once a month and if you kept the fry a grew them up that would over crowd your tank. Unless you want to leave them in your tank when there born then you wont have to worry about fry the bigger fish will eat them. Or if you want you could keep a couple in your 5 gallon tank.

Back
Top Bottom