GBOY & NU NU 30 gal saltwater build!!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Won't be able to do it without test kit. Really shouldnt cycle a tank at all without a test kit. You need to dose to 4ppm ammonia. Then test while the bb grows.

spoonman said:
Won't be able to do it without test kit. Really shouldnt cycle a tank at all without a test kit. You need to dose to 4ppm ammonia. Then test while the bb grows.

Well i have a fw test kit, and i have ordered the card for a sw test kit. So it should be here soon.

And how do you dose to 4ppm? Is there usually a set amount to get you up a point?

There is an equation to figure it out, ive posted it a few times. I havent got on my comp in several days and the search sucks on android... If i get time ill search for it. There isnt one answer because even two 20gal tanks would have different amounts of water. Also there are different strengths of ammonia out there, most common is ace hardware brand which is 8% whatever you get make sure it has no perfumes dyes or surfactants.
Dr tims sells ammonium chloride for a few bucks which runs two drops per gallon.

Oh so should i get the ace stuff? I have one near by. Good so there is an equation

I was putting in ~2.5ml into my 12G nano cube & getting 3-4 ppm ammonia so you can use that figure for yours. I have about 8-9 gallons of actual water in the tank.

NyteGTI said:
I was putting in ~2.5ml into my 12G nano cube & getting 3-4 ppm ammonia so you can use that figure for yours. I have about 8-9 gallons of actual water in the tank.

Oh, i have about 25 gal, so i should be putting in abt 7-7.5 ml?

Oh, by the way, what do you all know about flame hawkfish? LA says reef compatible with caution, whats that mean? :) thanks

I am gonna probably get one for my fowlr tank, they are supposed to like to eat small shrimp and they can cuase trouble for small bottom fish like gobies and blennies

carey said:
I am gonna probably get one for my fowlr tank, they are supposed to like to eat small shrimp and they can cuase trouble for small bottom fish like gobies and blennies

Oh really? I guess that isnt for me then, but wow, cool fish

Yeah, I've had my eye on them since i started. He wasn't appropriate for my reef but he'll do fine in my 90. He's the big reason i won't be having any shrimp in that tank. But he's a way cool fish ;-)

carey said:
Yeah, I've had my eye on them since i started. He wasn't appropriate for my reef but he'll do fine in my 90. He's the big reason i won't be having any shrimp in that tank. But he's a way cool fish ;-)

Definitly:)

Carey, any suggestiins on how much ammo i should dose to get to 4ppm in a 30g?

Hmm, I've only dosed once or twice but the first time I added an obscene amount like 2 cups. lol Still cycled though. ;-)

I would try a teaspoon and test. Wait maybe 15 minutes or so for the ammonia to get all into the water, test and go from there. You really cant dose too much, it can make a stronger cycle but it also can take longer, at least in my opinion and experience.

I will do this..but the sw test chart hasnt come yet:(

Think i could find one online or somthing?

You can dose too much, at higher concentrations you end up with a diferent strain, public waterworks look for that strain, but in aquaria our levels ae too low and you can end up wih snothr cycle as those die off and are replaced with the low level ones. 5ppm should be the highest you cycle with.

kurtyboh said:
You can dose too much, at higher concentrations you end up with a diferent strain, public waterworks look for that strain, but in aquaria our levels ae too low and you can end up wih snothr cycle as those die off and are replaced with the low level ones. 5ppm should be the highest you cycle with.

Oh gottcha, thats new to me!

Hey, guys!

If i put in a frozen cube of mysis, would this help my cycle go quicker along with the 2lbs of live rock?? It wont smell right?

Yes don't put the actual block in. You'll get tons of nitrates which makes Hair algae. Put the cube in a net and rinse with warm water until there is only shrimp. Then put the shrimp in.

needmorecowbell said:
Yes don't put the actual block in. You'll get tons of nitrates which makes Hair algae. Put the cube in a net and rinse with warm water until there is only shrimp. Then put the shrimp in.

Cool, will that help the cycle right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom