GBR(Mikrogeophagus ramirezi) breeding help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My lfs told me that their wholesaler who is probably Seagrest won't send them female black Moscow guppies. I have that market cornered. I'm breeding them specifically to sell to the lfs. I've also heard that wholesalers hold back female scarlet badis. So what do they do with all these fish then? Destroy them?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
[ originally posted by coralbandit]
Is Fla. water really that different?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

( Picture this: A little boy in school, with his hand raised high and waving yelling out " Ooh OOh, Pick me, pick me.... I know why!!!!!!) :brows:
So here's some inside information for ya. ;) While all your guesses were amusing, they are not close to what's happening. It's called "product protection". The only way a breeder can protect his/her business is to not let others duplicate it. It's just that simple. Right wrong or indifferent, that's what they do. In the case of the females, most are bred until they are bred out. Keep in mind that males can breed faster than females can so in the case of the Dwarfs, a single male may be bred to a number of females. Also keep in mind that since all the fancy dwarf colors are all from the original dwarf gourami, it may take a number of females to actually get enough of the fancy colors to sell. Since males are the more colorful and therefor more desirable, that's the bonus for not selling the females.
So Brennae, you may want to consider this as you sell your fish to the LFS. Someone just like you can easily take a pair of your Guppies, breed them and start selling them to the same store at a cheaper price and then you will either have to drop your price to compete or lose out on the business all together. If you don't think that will happen, it happens all the time. How come no one has ever been able to match KFC's original recipe or Coca Cola's syrup? It's because of product protection. There are other fried chicken companies and cola producers yet no one has successfully matched
their formulas. You want your fish to be the same way. How? By not letting females go to reproduce them. :whistle:

As for FL's water, yes, it is different. I was at Seagrest many years ago and was one of their suppliers at the last big wholesale house I worked at. No, I don't believe they breed anymore but there are many smaller farms in their area that supply them. All using the same water. Most are species specific farms as well ( ie live bearers only, rainbowfish only Anglefish only etc.) One of the big differences in water where they are versus where you are is that the PH is high but the hardness is lower. I see that here at my place as well. What's different between where I was down in S. FL and here in Central FL is the hardness of the water. It's because of the lesser amount of time the water is exposed to the calcium rock base that FL sits on PLUS, the area was effected by the pine trees which also softens the water. I was told that with the pine needles on the ground, the water trickles through them to the underground so it changes the chemistry some. It's a bit more involved than that but for the purposes of this post, that's all you really need to know. YES, the water is different. ;)

Hope that answers your questions. (y)

Oh I'm aware of what will happen when I sell them females. I don't plan on keeping the strain forever.

Andy where in Polk county is your hatchery located? I like seeing where other people are from. It's about
An hour and 20
Min from here in Orange County to
Polk. Thx for
Everyone who replied to me
Asking about slate and sponge filter. I will go look up on eBay.

Also.. Do most breeders buy their food or make it? Wouldn't making it be cheaper in the long run?

Sent via the power of my aching thumbs

The stupid thing.. On my phone apparently I always hit trey rn in between words which is why it does that annoying
Space thing

Andy where in Polk county is your hatchery located? I like seeing where other people are from. It's about
An hour and 20
Min from here in Orange County to
Polk. Thx for
Everyone who replied to me
Asking about slate and sponge filter. I will go look up on eBay.

Also.. Do most breeders buy their food or make it? Wouldn't making it be cheaper in the long run?

State road 60, half way between Vero and Tampa. Right in the middle of......... nowhere. :ROFLMAO: (y)

Wow... Did I really just
Post in the wrong thread??!!? *Facepalm* sorry bandit and others I thought this was a different thread super sorry about that I mean no disrespect or anything

Have you used Hikari first bites before? I use it at times for various egg laying fish fry.

No I have never used Hikari any food before!!
[ originally posted by coralbandit]
Is Fla. water really that different?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

( Picture this: A little boy in school, with his hand raised high and waving yelling out " Ooh OOh, Pick me, pick me.... I know why!!!!!!) :brows:
It's because of the lesser amount of time the water is exposed to the calcium rock base that FL sits on PLUS, the area was effected by the pine trees which also softens the water. I was told that with the pine needles on the ground, the water trickles through them to the underground so it changes the chemistry some. It's a bit more involved than that but for the purposes of this post, that's all you really need to know. YES, the water is different. ;)

Hope that answers your questions. (y)
You always answer the question Andy.
Soooo, could I use pine needles in my tank or water prep vessel?
Like leaves I plan on getting soon?

I have NO FEAR selling my pairs!!!
I wish all luck replacing me!!!

Wow... Did I really just
Post in the wrong thread??!!? *Facepalm* sorry bandit and others I thought this was a different thread super sorry about that I mean no disrespect or anything
You're all good!

But someone who makes their living from them does care. ;)

It's not that I don't care. I need to make money too but this is what I was specifically asked for by this lfs. If they are willing to try to sell whatever I can breed I have to make accommodations for their requests also. Obviously they will cost more than the average guppy they sell so not sure what kind of market there will be. I'm not sure what I will do with the other strains yet. The purples Moscow line that I have has females with different tail types still so I have to make some decisions.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Soo....
Fry are doing great , but still too young to have reached my trouble spot(I am hopeful ).
Now with just the little adjustment to water and the time of year(this is GOLD) I have eggs /wigglers in over 60% of paired breeding tanks now also(5 sets since yesterday )in total!
I just read Andys post today and boy I need smaller hatch containers so they can just get dipped (and poured) into 10's after they hatch.
Got a couple small tanks(2,2 1/2) so I am going to MB and air bubble them as I have a few eggs to remove now(like now after I eat)!
One set I thought the male was eating last night ,but he and female were actually moving the wigglers to pot from tray!
They are doing excellent with parenting so I will leave thes wigglers to free swimming at least.
Many of these eggs lately are from the yellow tank ,but oddly the yellow tank has no eggs lately.
Poppas Jayhawks still have eggs in corner and as friendly as they all seem at times one pair owns half the tank(for real).

Just pulled 4 sets of eggs and POd a few fish!!!:ROFLMAO:
Who ever said stress was all bad ....
Boy I hope that wasn't me!:oops:
Anyways 2 trays propped upside down on slate(big thanks on this one Poppa) in a 2 1/2g floating in a 10g(confused yet/) and 2 pots put in a 1/2 filled 5g!
Mb and air stones for both!
Left the wigglers ...
I can't help wanting to see,and be part of the real thing as much as building better stock!:facepalm:
They are with parents in 10g.
I am lucky(sooo very much) that with 3 sets of fry,and 6 sets of eggs or wigglers I can risk it.
Especially since failure is almost certain to some degree.
This last week has been fun!:dance:

So fairly large die off in second 10 g with free swimmers.
I mean a hundred or more.
There are still over 200 swimming though!
I really packed two large spawns in there!
Aurthur if you are following I used the circular spin method to sort the live fry from dead after vacumming.
It really worked great as all in the middle seemed dead and all on edges were alive!!(y)(y)
I gave the bucket a second spin and will check shortly!
When something works it is so much easier to understand.;)
Fry in #1 10g seem to holding well and the number staying consistent.
I couldn't count them all easily.
The minimal water changes(although a little larger on 10g 2 due to die off) and safe/prime seem to working???
#1 10g is close to complete failure time I think so if it holds up a little longer I may be making some headway!!!

Both tanks with eggs and MB look good tonight!(y)
Parent with wigglers still being great parents!!:dance:

Circular spin method... im intrigued!. I assume that you just make a circle with hand/hose... cintrifical force pulls all the dead fry in. Living fry fight against the current to the outer edges where its easier to hold position? That about right?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Circular spin method... im intrigued!. I assume that you just make a circle with hand/hose... cintrifical force pulls all the dead fry in. Living fry fight against the current to the outer edges where its easier to hold position? That about right?

You got it!
I use a bucket and get water spinning one way.
All dead/weak end up in middle and live settle out to edges.
Easily saved a quick 40 fry from going with dead and debris.
I need to check the second spin!
I can live with the large die off so soon .
Got lots of eggs cooking and still decent fry!!

Second spin says the method was 100% effective!!

This is all great news. On a good note for me, it looks like EBRs are going to spawn soon!

Also, It looks like one of your beastly GBR males has chosen to pair with a new gal. A female EBR. should be interesting to see what they yielded.

That would be sweet!!!
We are going to get this right.
It is ram season!!!
Now through Feb for me at least.
Year 3 of winter and this is best time for me and them!!

I feel the need to put forth extra effort now knowing this!

Also, It looks like one of your beastly GBR males has chosen to pair with a new gal. A female EBR. should be interesting to see what they yielded.

That's what I've read yields good spawns. Stud gbr with healthy female ebr. Like the spawns that strengthen lines.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I think the mix will be a good thing if it can pulled off!

Looks like the rest of tank 2 has died off.
Many if not all most were syphoned I think so...
Tank 1 fry still look good!
Wigglers with parents all good still.
Wigglers still 100% with Poppas Jayawks in 40b tank with others.

Mine dug a pit in the sand. I have not introduced any flat surfaces yet. I've actually turned rocks up to create 2 "sight breaks". Male swims with one more than other but they all spend a fair amount of time together. Interesting to see what lands in the pit? This water is harder than my past source so I doubt anything will come of it. I am undoubtedly investing in an rodi unit. Just seems wrong to keep certain dwarves in harder water.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom