GBR(Mikrogeophagus ramirezi) breeding help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So all 4 sets of eggs are hatching at a 50-75% rate.
Since it appears syphoning is just not safe when small and the fact that Poppas largest pair had the other 6 GBR in the 40B all in the same corner!!!
I moved the 6 to the empty 40b.
This will allow these two to raise the fry? get them grown out to free swimming... ?
I just had to give this spawn a chance.
And the other 6 really were all huddled in the corner!!!
The pair is exhibiting very good parenting behavior team work!
Looks to be pretty large group of wigglers.
Wigglers with pair n 10g are free swimming today!!!
It s been so long since I have been able to see parents with fry...
It almost bought a tear to my eye!

Keep the good times rollin, brother. I finally got a batch of eggs today from the GBR/EBR. Gettin ready to move them to a BB 5gl for artificial mode.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Now.... where/what do we tweak to get above 70% hatch

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

(y)I read that in your thread!(y)

I really hope you and me get some good results!

Your buddies rams are top notch and I am glad I jumped on them and thankful you thought of and offered for me!
Karma rules!

I am pretty sure(which is 99% certain in most others world)that the free swimming fry with the parents are from 2 of the gold rams...
Pretty sure that 3-4 pairs I have pulled are from gold spawn even though they are not always gold colored.

I mention this as this afternoon when I checked on the wigglers/free swimmers both the parents had the gold color showing more then usual..
If I can even get a couple more of them ....

TDS meters arrived today!
Got replacement HM2 deluxe for my ro/di unit and HM TDS3 TDS/temp pen.
It tells temp when I push button(in C!)They're going to teach me this now?
Sure can't hurt!:facepalm:

Seems like 1/2 of the artificial hatch is less successful then other.
Still looks good seeing free swimmers!

On the free swimmer note,
Poppas J's are roaming the 40b with a cloud in tow!
The yellows in 10 g are doing great with theirs also!

It really is near my heart to see the fry cloud around the parents.
Possibly the fuel that has driven me for so long and I am being re charged?

However these batches turn out seems like things are looking up !
Massive water changes for all breeding tanks with out fry tomorrow.
Poppas Jayhawk that got moved to new 40b are in for a big shake up in their tank tomorrow when I move out most wood and line of sight breaks.

I like the way they were behaving better in the first 40b with less cover.

Well even if you think you know you don't always..well I don't:banghead:
I still have the siblings of Brooksters 'Beastmode' in their own tank.(4' 33g long)
They have spawned before but I always miss(I missed this time too),but got the pair!

So I wanted to put them in the 10g that had a bad hatchout(I thought!)
Even with a visible amount of fungus eggs there were a lot of wigglers!
They did get moved to the 5g with other new free swimmers.
If any make it that is more then I thought were in the tank(I look pretty good {flashlight is a breeders tool!}) so ...
Beast pair are now in and look good.
Think one more pair out of final 7 exist..:whistle:.
Poppas J with fry in 40b are doing there best to continuously impress me!(y):fish2:
This tank has air driven sponge and sponge covered AC30&50 running still.:eek:
I kind of think some of my best % raising had HOBs(properly) running almost from day one!!:nono:

The other 6 got the shake up I promised a day late and pair #2 has laid eggs already!:facepalm:
The other 4 are.....hiding 3 feet away in the other corner!!!
For real it is like that!:blink:

Sooo. thanks to so many of you my 75g growout tank will be under 10 GBR tomorrow after shipping and the remaining 7 are going to get moved in with next batch in the 55.:thanks:
The water in the 55 has been great so 7 more fish aren't going to break it!
I run it with 2 air driven sponges with 2 AC70s and 50%+ WC.(y)

Into this 75 g will go .....:confused:
first thought
5 brothers of 'Beastmode'(probably bigger sorry Brook),
4 of Poppas Jayhawks,they could probably use the rest from the other 2 pairs,
but they ain't getting it because I still have a good 10 'beast' size from the yellow tank!

I haven't commented much on them beside to Poppa about them being really hard on each other...They are!

So the 75 will get emptied and switched to breeding water and this will be try #2 At keeping 16+ GBR together as adults.
Or....:confused:
I already have a few empty tanks due to re arranging which goes on still...
On the breeding stock,
Looks like 75% of my pairs in their own tanks are going to lay eggs within the next 3 days!!!
Full moon bonus???
4 tanks with free swimming fry now,2 with parents still!

RAM SEASON!!!!!!

That was a long read but well worth it!
Hopefully my female will perk up. She seems to have bad days then good ones, and I can't figure out why. I'm only feeding live black worms or frozen mysis/bloodworms/brine.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Long read but LOTS of activity!!
Eggs from unrecognized pair #3 of Poppas J taken from their tank to be artificially hatched this am!!
Looks like 3-4 pairs may lay eggs today?
All fry,4 tanks seem to be doing better then usual..
Really wondering about moving the parents from the 2 tanks that are still with fry?
Get the feeling they are going to be eaten eventually even though they are alone with parents in their own tank.

OK Poppa or Andy tell me how many sets of eggs can I place together to artificially hatch and raise out for first couple of weeks in a 10g.
5 sets of eggs TODAY , which 3 can be moved , one has been moved this am(from yellow tank)into 10g with eggs from yesterday.
And one laid on silicone of 10 g but hoping they get moved to tray(choice of 2 provided)
This leaves me with 3 that need somewhere to be hatched...
This still leaves me with 2 or 3 pair that are going to spawn soon also ,and a strong desire to pull parents out of the two tanks I couldn't get eggs from .:whistle:

Sooo.....
Can I hatch out(raise) 3-5 sets of eggs in a 10 for first couple weeks??:nono:

I have small tanks for the mb hatch out phase,but how many sets can be placed together?

I can always shuffle fish around but I have tanks 20g+(20,30,33,75) and no small tanks left!:facepalm:

To claim more small tanks back I will have to mix pairs back together....
What are thoughts on this?
My pairs are straight,yellow or Poppas and I really don't want to mix pairs(I want to mix "non paired" of all of them together already in the 75).

Input is appreciated as I always feel more views are better then just mine.

:dance:IT IS RAM BREEDING SEASON!!!:dance:

OK so the 10g may not be so full..
Many eggs seemed fungused but this just got me the other day.
Three out of 4 sets are hatched /fungused with one set still hatching.

Seems like the numbers in all fry tanks are dropping.
Not total loss or close but less then early packed free swimming cloud.
Some of these fry were syphoned also which I hold little stock in.
So hopefully this week end I will move some adult rams around and have another update on fry..

The 10 has a decent amount of wigglers!
I added a set of wigglers that were the eggs laid on silicone!
Sometimes you can predict what they will do?
Knowing they had 2 good trays the whole time laying eggs in corner on silicone made me think they would move the wigglers to trays....
New set of eggs placed in a catch in dip container with mb in the 10 with parents(this could work????).
The 75 is empty,1 @20 below it is empty and the other with pearl fry is pretty low on water..
Hoping to pull this out tonight tomorrow and place 5gs under the 75.
A lot of moving and really a pain but the 2@20 g can ONLY come out from under the 75 if I pull the whole unit out(it is that tight and the stand is NOT an over under).

Really getting nervous with the fry in 2 tanks with parents.
Poppas still have 20-50 fry(hard to count all in 40b) but they look like they will breed again very soon!!!
Something has to move or I will lose all fry I fear.
The fry with other parents seem fine and steady but once the parent want to breed again same trouble.

REALLY don't want to syphon out any fry and have no where beside "dorm" style tank to move parents.
Poppas could just go to the other 40 with the other 6 no big deal(well to me).
This could happen tonight or tomorrow.
I will have to free up a 10 or 5 for the other pair.

Man that trains really rollin up there. Shoot me a pm with where you get your heat packs.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

PM sent!
Your Jayhawk rams with fry in 40B laid eggs again last night!
This time on a tray so I will pull them this am!

If I pull the eggs do you think the free swimming fry will be ok with the parents???????
Almost can take the 'risk' with a tray full of their eggs that I will get something from.....

Hey CB, is there a way to get ram eggs out if they lay them in sediment rather than on a dish?

Hey sini!!
I read you have eggs again!!:dance:

I can't think of a way to move the eggs if they are not on a pot/tray/slate/heater....:whistle:

BUT I will say it seems to be becoming 'old hat' for a couple of my pair to lay eggs on silicone with multiple choices of trays and pots and then to move the good eggs(away from bad) to the tray.
Snagged a pair last night like that!(y)

I see Poppa says turkey baster(he is a master).
If that doesn't work just watch to see if and when they move them.
They are all alone in tank??

Yup, just them in a 10 gallon. Dunno if the eggs are fetilized. But it can't be the water anymore, it's 50% RO now. So if these are unfertilized it's one of the parents.

None of my rams produced fertile eggs with 50/50!

I use ro that I remineralise with calcium magnesium,and baking soda.....
50-100 TDS seems to be the sweet spot?

My TDS is around 120-130 out of the tap so it should be around 60-70 with 50% RO water

Sent from my XT830C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom