GBR(Mikrogeophagus ramirezi) breeding help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Awsome. Good luck man.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks my rams haven't always been super nice towards each other with a lot of chasing that sort of thing but hopefully things may be different now. If I can breed them I should be able to raise the fry as I'm having good luck with killis at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks my rams haven't always been super nice towards each other with a lot of chasing that sort of thing but hopefully things may be different now. If I can breed them I should be able to raise the fry as I'm having good luck with killis at the moment.

Nice to hear about your rams.:dance:
Wait till you see free swimmers at least before removal if your not moving parents.
Many of my pairs that chose themselves were not so nice to each other in the beginning.
Most have matured well and behave and spawn much better,but none raise fry yet.
Keep us informed!(y)

Nice to hear about your rams.:dance:
Wait till you see free swimmers at least before removal if your not moving parents.
Many of my pairs that chose themselves were not so nice to each other in the beginning.
Most have matured well and behave and spawn much better,but none raise fry yet.
Keep us informed!(y)

Got back later this arvo to no eggs or wrigglers, excited though because they'd already dug another pit and are following each other around very closely. Things seem to be looking positive for this pair hopefully I can get it right.

Well on and off topic?
No new action in the dorm.
I will try advice from reading Andys thread and go with the ABC method...
I will change things up alittle.
My golds on the other thread are breeding and have 1 batch of fry still with parents although free swimming!(y)
I hope to pull parents tomorrow or Sat if the fry are still alive and not eaten!:brows:
The parents seem to be doing great together but I am easily fooled by these fish.:banghead:
Very interested if I get survivors what colorthey will be?????:popcorn:

Cleaned and shook up the dorm today!!!
What a mess!!
Crap and uneaten food stuck under pots,in moss,behind slate.....
I mean WOW!
Ended up just moving everything all over the place like a flood went through and change 75%!
Sure seemed to light a fire in tank activity as no ones territory is where it was!
ABC!!!!

I know what you mean about the detritus my killi tank gets like that a bit with no filter.

I have a spare power head that I use as a portable vac. 6" pipe on the intake and then an old sock cable tied to the outlet. Super easy and convenient especially for smaller tanks where you take out to much water before you've finished removing detritus.

On topic though: my rams are spawning once a week at will. They're getting better at protecting eggs too so it's only a matter of time. I have put an empty pot in their favorite corner so I can try and remove them easier.

my rams are spawning once a week at will. They're getting better at protecting eggs too so it's only a matter of time. I have put an empty pot in their favorite corner so I can try and remove them easier.

This is what works best for me(I still don't listen to me all the time!);
I let the parents stay till fry are free swimming, then I pull parents.
Every day I wait they eat some,or maybe they die?
When I pull the parents by hand with my hand(no net for fry safety!) the fry do not remain in as tight of a group but then it is all on me.

The Dorm(40b) mess today has 2 large air driven spongefilters,AC 50 and AC70!
The moss,wood and pots really slow the flow in the back where they all hang out!I didn't want to "bother them" but this may have been a real production issue in the last weeks?

Traded in 55 that were born last Nov(8-9 months old).
Pulled a second set of freeswimmers from the dorm today and installed them in a 1/2 filled 5g.
Picked up a couple 10g at petco.
Not as many as I wanted but they still had tetra tanks on shelf and said next delivery was Tues...
Hoping to move a few things around and get a wall with 9 @10 going soon.

Well this thread has been a little diverted by the yellow thread.
Now the yellows are large enough to breed so here they are!
I sent Brook and Poppa some of my rams last week!
Thanks guys for the great reviews.
Poppa got a pair of yellows that probably don't look as yellow as my avatar.
None of them are that yellow anymore or all the time .
What I have managed to due with the yellows is to piggy back eggs with these guys!
I have a couple pair of the yellows separated but the rest are still in the 30 breeder.
They lay eggs in the breeder also but they never last.
I pulled a set of eggs last week and added them to a tank with a pair that had eggs and they cared for them!
So now I have a pair of rams that has two sets of fry!
I tried this before but it didn't work.
I wonder what else these guys may surprise me with!?
I just have get survival rates up and I could be thinking I got this down?

Ive had surroget parents care for and raise discus eggs/fry before. Never works for me if they were introduced as fry, but hasnt failed if i introduce as eggs.

So I will learn to be happy if I get 10% of my hatches to survive!
The fry feeder is working well and I am changing water but these guys just don't improve IMO?
I managed to get all the 10g s I wanted for my breeder wall(9 @10g in the space I now have a 29 over a 20!) and a bunch of aqueon pro heaters arrived today(8!).
So If I stop procrastinating I will get this rack system built and hopefully improve survival and breeding a little.
The feeder helps for sure as I see the fry swimming below the drips actively.

Quick check in;
5 tanks with wigglers or free swimmers right now!:dance:
3 still have parents or just male still with them.
The 10g rack is going up this weekend as I prepped(made shelves ) and removed the 20/29 that was in its spot last week end!(y)
I need to see if I can use a splitter(manifold) for airlines to deliver the water mixed food from feeders to multiple tanks?
This seems like it might be difficult to be sure all are even , but with space a factor I must at least try.
I'm still using the 2 litre brine shrimp hatcher as my gravity feeder but possibly I can figure out a larger vessel that could just have multiple outlets on the bottom.
I like that the inverted bottle gets all the food out the fry so not real sure what I use to replace?
Maybe just sealing hard airline to bottle cap and I could run a bottle for each tank.
Need to figure this out.:facepalm:

I use the hard sealed line on the cap for mine. Should be able to run multiple bottles that way that drip to a pvc tube extended along the tanks horizontally that has a line for each tank coming out of the bottom and a line from pvc running to each tank. The same as running multiple tanks on 1 sump. Just a thought.

I use the hard sealed line on the cap for mine. Should be able to run multiple bottles that way that drip to a pvc tube extended along the tanks horizontally that has a line for each tank coming out of the bottom and a line from pvc running to each tank. The same as running multiple tanks on 1 sump. Just a thought.

I believe you have solved my problem sir!
A couple of years back I made a 24 outlet manifold for air supply out of 3 inch pvc.Each hole I drilled I added a flow control to!!!!
A smaller pvc pipe made to fit the length of "X" tanks in a row will allow feeding all tanks at once from same source with a control for each also!
Thank you very much.

Meh, i have good advice once out of abt 1,000,00 times. Hopefully this is one of those times.

I'm taking a break from my own construction and thought I would catch up on this thread. Looks like Poppa was reading my mind. ;) I was going to suggest just this type of setup for you CB. The only additional thing I would do is to use a straight inline airline valve ( Lee's comes to mind) so that you can regulate flow to each tank from the valve opposed to from the hole size. Since it will be gravity fed, make sure you have enough angle on the pipe so that the water flows all the way to the last tank and the flow into the main pipe is fast enough to get all the water to the end. FYI: Marineland used to sell plastic "Pipe Valves" that screwed into the PVC but you could remove the 90 degree valve part leaving a nipple to attach the airline to. If these are still available, they would make this project a snap. (y)

Back to screwing..... wood supports that is. :brows::ROFLMAO:

Hope this helps (y)

Big thanks you two!(y)

I'm loaded with the lees valves !
They might be the bomb for flowing particle filled water!
41p3NFZcapL.jpg

I also have and am using valves like these right now.I used these to make the air manifold which I no longer need......
pPETNA-5203005_main_t300x300.jpg

I think a little test is in order soon.:whistle:
I'll try the lees as they are just sitting in a baggie anyways now!:nono:

Yeah yeah, the Lee's are the ones I was thinking of. Since there are no turns, the food should flow through with little issue. (y) You just need to connect the airline to the main manifold with the food flowing through it. I have a ton of brass valves and unfortunately, these all have the little holes in them so the food could very easily stop them up. :( Those pipe valves I mentioned before would be perfect!! (y)

Sweet! Those blue lees with flow control are what i use.... Cheap, easily replaceable, and they work. ?

Back
Top Bottom