GBR(Mikrogeophagus ramirezi) breeding help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've removed them to the container. Thinking I should see wrigglers in the next 8 hours or so when I get home. Have been removing any white ones, so far so good. I think...

Wait for them to consume egg sac and then feed?

Start feeding after they are free swimming.
Good luck and keep us posted here.

Ok thanks i will, got to get free swimmers first. Is it going to matter that I haven't used blue menthyl if that's what it is. I've been changing the water every 12 hours or so.

Methylene blue. Its fine if you didnt. I just get bigger rears when i use it. And by the time they're free swimmers by a week its usually been mostly removed by WCs. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

At the moment I haven't had any hatch. Could this be because I haven't been able to keep the water higher then 25-26?

Had about 8 eggs that were white that I removed, still got another twenty or thirty tan eggs.

Hi, sorry to jump in but I've had no luck with my GBR raising there fry. I've had a young pair since December last year and they have laid eggs 7 times but as soon as she lays them the male starts eating them. It's really frustrating. Any tips or advice would be most welcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Most of them just won't raise their own fry anymore. You'll have to remove them if you want to raise them.

Your going to need a bigger heater as well. 26c isnt warm enough.

Your going to need a bigger heater as well. 26c isnt warm enough.

I figured the heat wasn't going to be enough to hatch them. Oh well I can try next spawn in the past I've kept the tank at 26-28 and then when I want to spawn them I can raise it to 30. I'm keeping it at 30 now because we are heading into winter here. Have rearranged the tank with a nice hollow log too so maybe they won't dig it up next time....

Thanks for the help.

GBR

The first week after they become free swimming ( no egg sack) I mix a little GP 5-50 with water and soak it then I use a medicine dropper and shoot it into the cloud of fry I also put some banana worms in with the GP I feed small quantities at least 4-6 times a day
After the first wk I add frozen BBS to the mixture and change the GP to50-100
As time goes on I increase the GP size after 4-5 weeks I start crushed flakes and Grindal worms
The most important thing is water changes 30 to 50 percent twice or three times a week
The fry seem to jump in size every time the get a water change
Get rid of the uneaten food or put baby Cory fry in with the GBR to clean the tank
Steve

THANKS!
I will certainly give this a try also!
Seems like 75% of my stock is taking a break now?
Only 2 hatches in last 2 weeks.
I was/have been thinking the GBR breed like discus with almost 40 weeks a year being productive and 2@6-8 weeks on recovery.
I do think they are most productive late Nov. till end of Feb.
I'm a little better set up this summer then last year and a little more experience under the belt so hoping to get better at this.

Ok ok ok.... so what are golden pearls??? Lol. I must be sleepin on it.

So little update;
I think most pairs are on break lately?
Have always thought they breed like discus with 2 cycles on 2 cycles off annually.
Eitherway I pulled a few(very few) fry from the dorm last weekend and a full set of fry this am.
I think all my trouble revolve around my feeding schedule.
I just don't have time for 4-6 feedings while working 12-14 hours a day or feel good adding so much food so fast?
The fry from last week seem to be fine and surviving on 2-3 feedings of my golden pearl mix and some vinnegar eels.
We'll have to see how these guys do as I did just treat the dorm with prazi yesterday.:popcorn:

still following! any updates?
Only one new set of eggs from the pair in the 29 that went infertile in 24 hours this week.
This pair has been proven so I just decided to do massive waterchanges all the way around adding ro/di without any remineralising to accommodate any build up from evaporation that may be taking place.
I treated the dorm yesterday to dose # of prazi and all seem well.
The fry in 40b are at about normal survival rate(10%) with mostly just dried food once or twice daily.
I do just think they are on a little break and will get back to business before the end of June?
The fish in the dorm have been more active and they are on almost 8-9 months with 16-20 together in a 40b.
They are all probably in the 1 year old range now?
It is an interesting species tank.
That's not all bad IMO(y)
Wondering if anyone had a lead on wild or F1 rams from a reliable source?????

Fry and grow out tanks all the same.
Looking to move to 10g tanks for pairs in a rack system I have been pondering for a while.
Big shake up on the dorm as I pulled all plants and moved all pots to thoroughly clean before adding a new aqua clear 70.
Wigglers in 1 pot so they are still breeding!
I left them till tomorrow at least.
Big water changes today and again tomorrow .
Sitting on WAY TOO MANY GBR!!!!(75,55,33 long FULL of 4-8 month olds!):whistle:
Might have even brought out my own gold strain,but really need to wait and change their water parameters a few times to be sure.
The 30 b has aprox.30 juvis in the 2-3 month range with like ZERO color except 2 who have horizontal bars.
Usually the largest( 6-8 out of these 30) would color up but this is not happening?:popcorn:

Back
Top Bottom